Poll: Where do Legion profs stand?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the thought behind it is better. I like that you have to actually work to unlock recipes instead of just mindlessly buying them off a trainer for 2g. I like that different ranks give different perks like more procs or less mat cost.

The execution wasn't very good though. There are ranks that are literally broken, like rank 2 brimstone for mining that like no one has yet. Also, some profession's quests are a lot harder and more time consuming than others. Like I found the Alchemy quests to be MUCH harder/more time consuming than the Engi quests to do.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I think the best way to do it would be halfway between MoP and Legion, I like the quests and things, but the gating is annoying and the RNG is annoying too.

Professions have been lame imo since WoTLK. Before crafting even a blue piece of gear would need a good amount of mats not easy to come by. Crafting was so streamlined though it you never really had to run around gathering mats like before.

Regardless WoW's profession system is totally outdated compared to other MMOs and needs a total over hall. I am glad they at least showed them attention this xpac though .

Is there any benefit to Blacksmithing besides the mount/hoofplates? I dont even know why I keep this profession.

Legion professions are in a terrible state.
    The quests are a very good idea and pretty well implemented, but everything else is just disgustingly bad. Only WoD managed to be worse, and that's damning with faint praise.
    Except for alchemy and somewhat enchanting & JC, there is very few things to do with professions, which are largely useless and pretty boring to do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Testaxc View Post
    Is there any benefit to Blacksmithing besides the mount/hoofplates? I dont even know why I keep this profession.
    At least you get the green fel hound to make money of. What about LW? Piss poor, the mount is LW-only and the Legion drums are irrelevant because everyone is making the cheaper WOD ones on some alt who has Tannery built in their garrison.

It needs some improvement. Still only level 1 infernal brimstone. rip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It would have been perfectly OK tbh if the recipes were as worthwhile as e.g. the tailoring sets in TBC (which also required dungeon farming).
    This.
    Even if it takes 426 runs on 57274 different dungeons, I'd do it if the reward was something else than ilvl 815 item that costs 15k to make.
    Obso-fucking-lete
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    That's bugged. But who cares, infernal brimstone is useless anyway (felwort would also be useless if you could not mill it; let us prospect brimstone!)
    No please, no more expensive prospecting to gain gem shards.
    Or if they fix it, then yes.
    And really fix it, not like 2000 brimstones drop 5 maelstrom sapphires (50g in AH)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    It's about as boring as they always been. Engineering is still way to expensive too level up with no real payoff and pretty much nothing new added. But a second repair bot at 30 minute cooldown is ok I guess. And alchemy lvl3 recipe RNG is pure bullshit.

You must be doing it wrong.

People always buy the parachutes, sky golems, toys and pets. Don't forget the wormholes, the 880 goggles.

It's one of the best profs, if not the best.

Plus, it's not that expensive to level, just make the gliders from level 1.
    Last edited by Alfakennyone; 2017-03-02 at 12:26 PM.

Too much RNG, some stuff has no purpose. It's just feels like the profession stuff was released unfinished and left to die.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    All the people complaining about the monopoly being unfair and shit and bad design because they weren't the lucky ones with rank 3 while raids were new and you could churn out flasks at a retarded profit. That was a great time and it actually made me glad to have that profession. Can't remember the last time I felt glad to have Alchemy on any alt beyond convenience in years. Absolutely 10/10 for me. If you weren't lucky enough, that's the game you play. Your profession being useless/merely convenient is simply what the alternative would have been. Should be glad for us that got the most out of it.

Same goes with herbalism/mining procs. Shit was crazy RNG but again, it got me doing the damn professions because I wanted them and it gave a benefit when I had it. Herbalism especially. You know the last time I even went and farmed shit beyond the first couple of weeks? Wrath. It got me engaged and I like it. Again, if it isn't for you and it's boring/bad/not profitable, that's all it would have been otherwise and you're a Sulky Sally that other people worked harder and got more than you. Yeah RNG is a factor but you're complaining about the difference between like 20k herbs picked and 25k herbs picked or some shit. Oh, you don't want to pick 20k herbs? Well shit, maybe herbalism isn't for you.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

The professions themselves are heavily watered down (no glyphs, less gems / enchants, etc).

The grinds are awful (too much infuriating RNG like everywhere in Legion).

The professions in Legion are worse than they were before, they did a step back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfakennyone View Post
    You must be doing it wrong.

People always buy the parachutes, sky golems, toys and pets. Don't forget the wormholes, the 880 goggles.

It's one of the best profs, if not the best.

Plus, it's not that expensive to level, just make the gliders from level 1.
    Dunno, maybe your region is different, but engi mounts sold at a loss from MoP here, same for toys. I've tried making some toys about a month ago, but could not sell them even for the cost of mats, ended up just giving them away to guildies.

When I said leveling, I meant legion part, especially the last 40 levels.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    All the people complaining about the monopoly being unfair and shit and bad design because they weren't the lucky ones with rank 3 while raids were new and you could churn out flasks at a retarded profit. That was a great time and it actually made me glad to have that profession. Can't remember the last time I felt glad to have Alchemy on any alt beyond convenience in years. Absolutely 10/10 for me. If you weren't lucky enough, that's the game you play. Your profession being useless/merely convenient is simply what the alternative would have been. Should be glad for us that got the most out of it.
    Yeah, obviously "I was lucky while the others weren't so I'm happy I got my gold, rest doesn't matter". Typical.

You don't understand in past expansions the lucrative recipes were tied to skilling our profession to max (which usually was very expensive at the start of expansion), but not based on luck? It was simple - those who put effort, sank the costs and levelled their professions could craft stuff ahead of those who didn't bother. Nowadays the whole effort -> reward idea got shafted, nothing in this game is about effort, everything is about luck and stupid RNG.

I'm pretty sure there are players like you in the legendary discussion as well "oh, I got my 2 bis early so I could outdps everyone else! absolutely 10/10 for me! if you weren't lucky, well that's your prob!"

And nope, you must be completely oblivious to how having multiple alchemists was profitable in the past, usually the most lucrative thing was a daily transmute so more alchemists = more cds = more gold.

Also up to MOP it was a good idea to have multiple alchemists to craft flasks on your elixir master, pots on your potion master, and make everyone else trasmutation master and churn the transmutes on them.

The fact you need luck to help you make money shows what kind of people this game caters to these days and that's the most sad part of WOW design. Effort, research, knowledge, everything gets outshined by dumb luck.

Rank 3 based on procs/RNG is the worst. I've had the worst luck with Alchemy.

I don't even care about selling them or the gold, I just want them for personal use since I use so many.

The professions in Legion are definitely worse than prior expansions. The leveling is much too confusing and there's way too much RNG. I cannot understand why they don't just do it they way it was done in the prior expansions (except WoD). In the past you leveled by making stuff and then bought/got more recipes to keep leveling up. Simple, right? Why make it so confusing and random?

I actually love it. Probably many people haven't played Vanilla and TBC, but back then, having a profession was ... having a profession ...

You had many sub-specs that were unique giving you access to unique patterns. You had to GRIND REP with certain factions to obtain patterns for specific professions AND some of them were locked behind Dungeon and Raid content ...

I really love that Legion does more than " lvl-up skill to learn new stuff from trainer" and the later implement " Do your daily CD to learn new patterns ". If it was the later case it would take me month (perhaps) to learn the Flask Recepies for Alchemy ... Right now, I played a lot, but managed to do all the 110 Alchemy quests in 1 day!

I'd rate craftin as Vanilla > TBC > Legion > Rest

Quote Originally Posted by Tuskchi View Post
    I actually love it. Probably many people haven't played Vanilla and TBC, but back then, having a profession was ... having a profession ...

You had many sub-specs that were unique giving you access to unique patterns. You had to GRIND REP with certain factions to obtain patterns for specific professions AND some of them were locked behind Dungeon and Raid content ...

I really love that Legion does more than " lvl-up skill to learn new stuff from trainer" and the later implement " Do your daily CD to learn new patterns ". If it was the later case it would take me month (perhaps) to learn the Flask Recepies for Alchemy ... Right now, I played a lot, but managed to do all the 110 Alchemy quests in 1 day!

I'd rate craftin as Vanilla > TBC > Legion > Rest
    Been around since Vanilla myself, and personally think it's the worst system they've created. It could have been really good, but they flubbed it tying questing to actually unlocking the profession, when the questing part of it should have been something you did to either unlock more recipes, or rank them up. The system itself isn't horrible tbh, once again it's the implementation that is horrid. Couple that with most professions being completely useless, well not many are going to like it.

Frankly the best crafting has ever been to me was TBC. You had to work for it a bit, but that effort resulted in things that were useful. With Legion you may work for it a bit, but most of it is complete rubbish.

I agree that the end result isn't as satisfying ( for many professions ) as it should be .... However, that should be the easiest thing for Blizz to fix. I have Engineering / Tailoring on my lock and I dropped them both completely, because at 880+ ilvl the crafting that you get is just silly ... Engineering, which has ALWAYS been a PvP spec, doesn't have the gadgets work in PVP!? What the actual f***?

That asides, I love, as said above, that you have to put effort into unlocking full potential of your profession with more than AH mats and gold.

At the beginning, JC was like a roulette, especially if you weren't a miner ( like me ). You could get tons of gold with blue gems popping out of ore, or you could get 0. investing 10-15k of gold into Ore, so you could get a turn around of 20-30k was my everyday life. Of course sometimes I came up empty and in the end I didn't make it big time ... However, it was something specific to JC.

Nowadays you get JC for cheap ( because of the vendor ) and the effort to craft a gem makes it actually less valuable than if sold on AH raw.

So the real problem, isn't as much as how you are unlocking your professions, as much as if the end result worth it. In many cases in Legion - it doesn't.