Thread: Gtx 1080

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 1080 from the 960 but does WoW even utilize its full potential?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll look on youtube and see if I find anything..

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any news on the next series? 11XX? or will it be 20XX?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    1080 TI info: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11172/...-next-week-699
    1080 and 1060 upgrade info: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11173/...-faster-memory

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Any news on the next series? 11XX? or will it be 20XX?
    The following has a bit of news on Volta: https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvid...specifications
    So far all we really know is that Nvidia likely has received the first engineering samples and that they've started coding their device ID's into drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayzieKal View Post
    I'm thinking of upgrading to the 1080 from the 960 but does WoW even utilize its full potential?
    It doesn't, doesn't even fully utilize my 4 year old GPU with 1440p ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It doesn't, doesn't even fully utilize my 4 year old GPU with 1440p ultra.
    Does it even fully utilize a 960? Have not played WoW in quite some time, but I thought last time I did my card handled the game well on Ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    ... link? /tenchar
    Watch the presentation?

Or JayzTwoCents' video afterwards, or Pauls Hardware, or any of the other 30 guys that were there?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Does it even fully utilize a 960? Have not played WoW in quite some time, but I thought last time I did my card handled the game well on Ultra.
    WoW cant really handle big GPU load due to they way it works with the CPU (it's a game engine limitation, and wont be fixed ever), so unless you play in 4K you dont need anything better than GTX 1060.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been holding off on the 1080 for the Ti and saving for months. Still using a 670 SLI setup so it'll be a huge upgrade. I was positive they were going to overprice it at like $850-900 but I was crossing my fingers that it was going to follow the pricing trend and ideally release at $750 so they blew me away with $700. I was 100% buying this and was even thinking about snatching a reference card just so I didn't have to wait forever. I still game at 1080p but @ 144hz so I need the extra juice.

HOW-fucking-EVER. I found out that instead of including a DVI port they opted for 50 fucking DisplayPorts...and an HDMI. And for some god awful reason BenQ decided to not put a DisplayPort on my $300 144hz XL2411Z that I just bought last year...even though their older and cheaper 144hz Asus competition has one.

So GG. I'm completely fucked for the stupidest reasons imaginable.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    I've been holding off on the 1080 for the Ti and saving for months. Still using a 670 SLI setup so it'll be a huge upgrade. I was positive they were going to overprice it at like $850-900 but I was crossing my fingers that it was going to follow the pricing trend and ideally release at $750 so they blew me away with $700. I was 100% buying this and was even thinking about snatching a reference card just so I didn't have to wait forever. I still game at 1080p but @ 144hz so I need the extra juice.

HOW-fucking-EVER. I found out that instead of including a DVI port they opted for 50 fucking DisplayPorts...and an HDMI. And for some god awful reason BenQ decided to not put a DisplayPort on my $300 144hz XL2411Z that I just bought last year...even though their older and cheaper 144hz Asus competition has one.

The fact that Nvidia doesnt include DVI on their reference cards doesnt mean it wont appear on partner cards.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Dont they ship the cards with dongles for hdmi to dvi? Thought I saw it being mentioned somewhere

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Dont they ship the cards with dongles for hdmi to dvi? Thought I saw it being mentioned somewhere
    Display-port to DVI. At least according to LTT's video.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayzieKal View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I'll look on youtube and see if I find anything..
    Only if you're running at 4K, and I doubt even that would cause it to struggle. For 1080p, the GTX 1060 can run that just fine at max settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    WoW cant really handle big GPU load due to they way it works with the CPU (it's a game engine limitation, and wont be fixed ever), so unless you play in 4K you dont need anything better than GTX 1060.
    My 4790k and 970 push WoW @ 4k /10 ultra no problem. My frame rates hover around 60 FPS no including WoW's infamous dips - but that's hardly the cards fault.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    The fact that Nvidia doesnt include DVI on their reference cards doesnt mean it wont appear on partner cards.

I've thought about that but I don't think I've ever heard of aftermarket cards coming with different ports. It'd be incredible if that were true though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Can't run 144hz over anything but DL-DVI and DisplayPort. There's this one adapter that does DP to DL-DVI but it's $120 and the few reviews it has are pretty bad. People claim it fails, flickers the screen or causes weird artifacts. And I also don't want anything to create any input lag. At that point I might as well save more or sell this one and buy another monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Display-port to DVI. At least according to LTT's video.
    I know but it's limited to 60hz aka not DL-DVI, right? I'll check his video out regardless.

Bottom line, I'm either stuck at 60hz and can't use my monitor for the only reason I bought it (144hz) or I just can't buy the Ti. Which makes me really damn sad, lol.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

I've thought about that but I don't think I've ever heard of aftermarket cards coming with different ports. It'd be incredible if that were true though.
    Happens all the time with motherboards and videocards. For example USB 3.1 ports: 100 series Intel chipsets dont support them, but there is a ton of boards with those ports.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's happened many times. Typically they are more expensive cards.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It's happened many times. Typically they are more expensive cards.
    Just an update. I am now whole again. Hopefully I lose that Ebay auction for a new monitor now, rofl. These are from MSI. Think ASUS is doing it too.

....if anyone wants a 1080 for £432..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inno3D-NVID...581096&sr=1-33

actually sold by amazon as well, so it isn't some potentially shady third-party seller. though no date on when they'll be going out, which could see other 1080s go lower. hmm. thought i'd share anyway
    Last edited by the boar; 2017-03-04 at 03:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    ....if anyone wants a 1080 for £432..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inno3D-NVID...581096&sr=1-33

actually sold by amazon as well, so it isn't some potentially shady third-party seller. though no date on when they'll be going out, which could see other 1080s go lower. hmm. thought i'd share anyway
    Shows 600 pound price to me?
    PM me weird stuff :3