Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Sweden should just direct their defence budget to Finland tbh.
    We did, my brother thought it was insane that he trained as conscripts aircraft mechanic on J-35 Draken (Dragon), then the Swedich Draken was planned stand down. Not that Finland did have J-35 Draken, and Sweden did saved parts and whole? aircraft so it could be transferred to Finland if needed.

During the vinter war Sweden transfer about 1/3 of its fighters to Finland... only volunteers but with the Government blessing and full support.

Deleted
    Waste of time n effort

instead they should militarize the police, no more no-go-zones!

n fire-department
    Last edited by mmocf1aa149946; 2017-03-02 at 05:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    If it's about cost effectiveness, what does Sweden need a military for? Their only threat is Russia, which they have no hope of stopping, if Russia feels like invading
    You miss the point its all about deterrence, if the price they have to pay to invade is high enough, that will make them refrain form invade. It was no probelm in the past then the US President did send the signal "we will defend our european frends to the hilt" but now we have a new US President who do send the signal "do what you want to Europe I do not care"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The funny thing is that lots of Swedes enjoyed and wanted to keep the old conscription model. But the current right wing government wanted a more professional army and not just professional commissioned officers.
    However, the culture in Sweden didn't fit. Service in the army in Sweden, as a culture, has become ingrained with the conscription model of our army. Everyone does test, some serve (used to be everyone male served, but that was scaled down).

Swedish 18/19 yearolds gladly serve for 11 months. Some take the extended service and serve abroad. Some did it multiple times (including two close friends who served multiple tours in Afghanistan).
    However as a career path it never became something people wanted to do. It became a too big thing, didn't pay well, didn't come with tons of benefits you wouldn't have anyway. Was just a risky, potentially very risky, badly paid job.

True, with the conscription service everyone who's served can be called into action in times of war and have. But the service itself is something far more people look at with approval when it's something that happens to people who want it and has a very clear end.

Deleted
    The military sends you a letter, you fill in a form, tell them to fuck off and than you're good to go. Even with a draft you will be able to avoid it, I'm really skeptical that they would imprison someone for avoiding it. (Don't know if the law is still in place, but avoiding draft was/is a crime. Rarely did they follow through with it from my knowledge.) Don't know about having women in it, have to read up on that though.

Having the draft back is good, jobs where lost when they started dismantling it and hopefully they will get back the old buildings our local politicians have fucked over. Damn kinda jealous of them, just go mechanic education at the local Gymnasium and than continue with that shit in the military, was what my father did. Now the question is why the fuck did they dismantle it in the first place.

I remember certain Swedes criticizing Turkey with draft, and calling it equal to PKK's terrorist recruitment. Times are changing, so does the perception of sheeps.

I have no problem with draft so long as it's about basic combat training and not something else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    That kind of cooperation is pretty cool.
    Yes Sweden and Finland have a long history together, during the cold war, Swedish pilots went on "holiday" to Finland so they could learn what roads they would bomb to stop a Russian invation. Sweden and Finland was in a military alliance in everything except in name, becuse both countries was officially neutral.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They should start with fighting age refugees. Let them earn their citizenship and show their willingness to put it on the line for their new country.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Or let them live their lives without this stupid concept of forcing people to serve the state.
    What is stupid about doing a service for the society you´re living in?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Swedish 18/19 yearolds gladly serve for 11 months. Some take the extended service and serve abroad. Some did it multiple times (including two close friends who served multiple tours in Afghanistan).
    Not that "extended service" is voluntary and no conscripts was forced to serve abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by AbortedGodFetus View Post
    They should start with fighting age refugees. Let them earn their citizenship and show their willingness to put it on the line for their new country.
    So the first thing you'd do to new refugees is entrust them with your countries security.

That's pretty stupid.

Actually not pretty stupid. Unfathomably and ridiculously stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I remember certain Swedes criticizing Turkey with draft, and calling it equal to PKK's terrorist recruitment. Times are changing, so does the perception of sheeps.

I have no problem with draft so long as it's about basic combat training and not something else.
    Refusing to join lands you in jail in Turkey, refusing to join in Sweden didn't. That's one big difference.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortedGodFetus View Post
    Only Swedish citizens can serve in the Swedich military.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    What is stupid about doing a service for the society you´re living in?
    It should be voluntary. We already pay taxes. What is so super special about society we should be forced to serve it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do not think the results of WW2 would have ended the same positive way if that had been the case. But you have a point in peace time and your country is not under attack. But some countries need to be prepared to come to your aid in case you are attacked.
    Even country under threat by a military powerhouse is not a good enough reason to force people into military fighting a governments enemy. If I don't have same views I shouldn't be forced to fight them.

I wouldn't join an army regardless of a draft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good for you sweden - Im all for us in Europe paying for our own defence. Not that I dislike the americans, but we should carry our own load

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by hermansen View Post
    Good for you sweden - Im all for us in Europe paying for our own defence. Not that I dislike the americans, but we should carry our own load
    Reintroducing conscription is going the opposite way. Conscript armies are, with the exception of IDF useless. And expensive too.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    So the first thing you'd do to new refugees is entrust them with your countries security.

That's pretty stupid.

Actually not pretty stupid. Unfathomably and ridiculously stupid.
    Your standard grunt isn't entrusted with much more than catching bullets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Only Swedish citizens can serve in the Swedich military.
    Set up a Swedish foreign legion? You could have them train and deploy from some third world country...like Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I feel it is part of my obligation to serve my country. Which I did. 3 years. It helped to make me a better person also. Not saying one has to wield a weapon or even serve in a combat role to accomplish that however. This is my own personal conviction on the subject.
    And your own personal conviction on the subject is not a reason for draft. Enlistment already covers that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.