Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Bastion's gonna get nerfed...Again!

The Overwatch team felt that the resident Tank/Turret character, Bastion, needed a buff so badly. So, they went to implement some nice changes that were, lo and behold, overpowered.

This prompted the team to roll back the changes and see if they can buff bastion without making him too overpowered. Well, the patch got implemented a few days ago. So, it's kind of a bummer, really.

What do you guys think about the buff rollback?

Here's the link to the article of the supposed rollback: http://kotaku.com/overwatch-team-wil...ium=Socialflow

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so. It will take players a week to adjust but he's easily countered. He's just not a sitting duck now.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

So what exactly makes Bastion OP now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course he needs to get nerfed. I'm just glad this shit isn't going to take as long as D.V.A.'s
    nerf needed at the time, or the triple tank meta, or Roadhog's hook, etc.

Deleted
    Bastion not op.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonerd View Post
    The Overwatch team felt that the resident Tank/Turret character, Bastion, needed a buff so badly. So, they went to implement some nice changes that were, lo and behold, overpowered.

This prompted the team to roll back the changes and see if they can buff bastion without making him too overpowered. Well, the patch got implemented a few days ago. So, it's kind of a bummer, really.

What do you guys think about the buff rollback?

Here's the link to the article of the supposed rollback: http://kotaku.com/overwatch-team-wil...ium=Socialflow
    Right now, he needs nerfed. He is basically a new tank that does a buttload of damage.
    One thing in the article I don't agree with is that it states "...use coordination to bring him down." Then lists 2-3 heroes using a combined attack to stop 1. That is something that shouldn't be necessary. In a game of picks and counters, we shouldn't be required to pick 2-3 heroes to stop 1 (much like some complaints against Pharah).
    I'm not saying he needs 100% reverted, but all the changes he got were too many.

Deleted
    I mean that's a kotaku article, so it's about as accurate as your average horoscope. They even managed to misread the current patch notes, making out bastion to be stronger than he actually is.

Not to mention that blizzard never does rollbacks, they normally just sit on op shit for some time, even if it's obvious, before addressing it.

You don't need to link some random article, you can just link the actual Blue post where Jeff admits Bastion is to strong.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/over...page=2#post-36

The lesson here being don't always endlessly defend a balance choice just because the all knowing Blizzard made it. But I have to give them props for realizing and admitting it so quickly after the new update hit.

Deleted
    Right now Bastion's Ironclad ability is 20% instead of 35%. Welcome change. I still don't really understand why they increased his clip size from 200 to 300 but it's okay. He's less dangerous from a long distance now anyway. His recon mode should stay untouched, Bastion needed more mobility, and he's slightly more dangerous now.

The only thing I'd really want to see changed on Bastion is that he stops self repairing once he takes damage. Doesn't reset his meter or anything, it just breaks his channel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Right now, he needs nerfed. He is basically a new tank that does a buttload of damage.
    One thing in the article I don't agree with is that it states "...use coordination to bring him down." Then lists 2-3 heroes using a combined attack to stop 1. That is something that shouldn't be necessary. In a game of picks and counters, we shouldn't be required to pick 2-3 heroes to stop 1 (much like some complaints against Pharah).
    I'm not saying he needs 100% reverted, but all the changes he got were too many.
    There's plenty of ways to ruin New Bastion's day with a single hero, anyway. If he's in Sentry, he's SUPPOSED to be brutal, but his immobility makes him vulnerable. And a lot of people are overlooking how hosed his Sentry DPS is at any range at all. If you're shooting a Reinhardt shield or bursting down a Roadhog that's in your face, sure, you might not notice, but try shooting a Pharah out of the air with Sentry mode, or shoot at the Widowmaker who's sniping you, and you're gonna have a bad time.

And sure, you can go to Recon and have a way to deal with that, but if you do, they won. They made you abandon your position and open up the spot for team advancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's plenty of ways to ruin New Bastion's day with a single hero, anyway. If he's in Sentry, he's SUPPOSED to be brutal, but his immobility makes him vulnerable. And a lot of people are overlooking how hosed his Sentry DPS is at any range at all. If you're shooting a Reinhardt shield or bursting down a Roadhog that's in your face, sure, you might not notice, but try shooting a Pharah out of the air with Sentry mode, or shoot at the Widowmaker who's sniping you, and you're gonna have a bad time.

And sure, you can go to Recon and have a way to deal with that, but if you do, they won. They made you abandon your position and open up the spot for team advancement.
    He's OP. Thats why he gets nerfed. Its not the healing or damage. It's his DR in sentry that's the problem. You can survive so much shit all by yourself. entire pharah clips, 6 widow fully charged shots. full soldier clip + rocket. genji ult. Tracer ult. etc. etc.

Reducing his DR to 20% from 35% will probably make him still viable but not as rediculous as he is right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    He's OP. Thats why he gets nerfed. Its not the healing or damage. It's his DR in sentry that's the problem. You can survive so much shit all by yourself. entire pharah clips, 6 widow fully charged shots. full soldier clip + rocket. genji ult. Tracer ult. etc. etc.

Reducing his DR to 20% from 35% will probably make him still viable but not as rediculous as he is right now.
    He's a defense hero and he's SUPPOSED to be fairly tanky in that mode. I agree that 20% is probably fine, but "can eat Widowmaker charged shots for breakfast" doesn't seem like a failure of design.

Then, I remember the closed beta when he had a big-arsed shield in front of him in Sentry. If you think the current Bastion is "unassailable", you never saw THAT version.

He's a defense hero and he's SUPPOSED to be fairly tanky in that mode. I agree that 20% is probably fine, but "can eat Widowmaker charged shots for breakfast" doesn't seem like a failure of design.

Then, I remember the closed beta when he had a big-arsed shield in front of him in Sentry. If you think the current Bastion is "unassailable", you never saw THAT version.
    The issue is that in beta with his shield, they found him too strong and even OP. Now, with his changes, they've given him armor for damage reduction, a very reliable and strong self heal, and a huge clip that will still end a lot of people at close to mid range. Even with the spread increase he still lands about 70-90% of his shots (more than enough to take out an airborne flanking Pharah), while still giving plenty of shots between reloads. They've essentially given him his shield back in terms of raw damage taken. I'm not saying he has a shield, I'm saying with the changes he's very close to how he was in beta with a shield.
    As for your other post, yes, you're essentially correct with forcing him to abandon his post; however, a solo player can not force this. Most times, depending on who he's against, he either heals thru it, or he jumps off for 2-3 seconds to LoS you while healing on the move, and then jumping back onto point. You CAN make a gap, but requires a lot of coordination to take advantage of.
    I had a lot of fun sleeping him earlier on focus, but this also requires me to use sleep dart solely on him which takes ic from defensive survival or opening up tanks for team ults.

You can relive it with ORISA! Her shield is 900, so only 100 shy of PTR Bastion shield :P

(Side note: Messed around with Bastion and ORISA combos on PTR and I gotta say it is fun as hell to have 5 ORISA shields lined up infront of you as Bastion....)
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

That title is clickbait as fuck, they aren't rolling back the buffs he just got, they're simply nerfing ironclad to 20% from 35%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some nerf might be necessary since he's pretty brutal now, but I think overall the changes were good ones to get Bastion a viable option again. Previously he was way too easy to tear up if players were even slighty competent. I like that he's much tougher in sentry mode, but there's also plenty of ways to knock him out of Sentry mode and increases the value of Sombra's hack. The new hero also brings another new way to pop Bastion out, too.

edit: nm Orisa just knocks sentry around, doesn't break it
    Last edited by Tziva; 2017-03-03 at 12:47 AM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Some nerf might be necessary since he's pretty brutal now, but I think overall the changes were good ones to get Bastion a viable option again. Previously he was way too easy to tear up if players were even slighty competent. I like that he's much tougher in sentry mode, but there's also plenty of ways to knock him out of Sentry mode and increases the value of Sombra's hack. The new hero also brings another new way to pop Bastion out, too.
    Something I think I'd like is to have knockback effects on Bastion work the same way Roadhog's hook does; if he's in Sentry, it kicks him to Recon.

Gives Pharah an easy way to punish poor placement, because a concussive shot knocks him out, and gives Lucio a neat offensive boost. Also works to incentivize Osira, since her right-click will do the same.

If you're not following up, his faster loadout swap is going to make doing so useless, but it'll help knock an entrenched Bastion out of his spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Although I think he has a bit too much survivability (very hard to kill with heals on him), overall I think it will be less of an issue when people start to get bored of him. Just make sure to do your part and farm all the Bastions you see!

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    So what exactly makes Bastion OP now?
    his sentry/tank passive plus his healing makes him unreasonably tanky for a defensive hero.