Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Player since Vanilla but never dabbled into PVP until now.

As the title suggests I've been playing since Vanilla and honestly for me, this is the first xpac where PVP seems fun. Excluding gearing issues which is being fixed in 7.2, I have not felt invested in doing the PVP objectives in zones, or doing battlegrounds except for PVE caches until Legion hit and it's prestige system. So while I'm just getting started on the PVP road, I'm hyped for the changes coming with PVP brawls and Arathi Basin.

Key things that prevent or prevented PVP from being fun in the past is how uninteractive it used to be. I'm sure this post will draw ire from PVP players, but getting CC locked to death is not fun gameplay. Being a healer and being absolutely dead the moment you're sighted is not fun. And while ideally I don't think it's healthy to have addons that put giant crosshairs over healers in BGs.

Say what you will about this being a l2play issue, but Legion is the first xpac where I've not gotten absolutely disgusted after a few BGs of being able to do nothing due to the constant CC and being instantly blown up the moment you go near a flag.

Also rewards, they've replaced impermanent rewards with permanent rewards such as weapon skins, loads more mounts, pets, toys, etc. Also WQs populate the world with PVP objectives that are meaningful to complete while also being a way to bring PVE players more into trying out PVP than Ashran or any other PVP objective has tried to do in the past.

I'm sure this post will be very antagonizing for most folks, but I think Legion is bringing more non-PVPers into the PVP scene than ever before.
    Mistweaver Tax noun 1. The effect of both high mana costs, and lack of utility, coupled with requiring specific talent combinations to compete with other healers, while still not being able to compete with toolkits said healers have baseline in any competitive area.

Quote Originally Posted by Myta View Post
    As the title suggests I've been playing since Vanilla and honestly for me, this is the first xpac where PVP seems fun..
    you've been brainwashed, sorry.
    Key things that prevent or prevented PVP from being fun in the past is how uninteractive it used to be. I'm sure this post will draw ire from PVP players, but getting CC locked to death is not fun gameplay.
    See first point, can't believe im actually reading this. Do you honestly think this is any different than before? If the answer is yes you should just stick to PVE.

can't even comment on the rest the first 2 paragraphs were enough for me
    Last edited by Fathme; 2017-03-02 at 06:56 AM.

I'm sure this post will be very antagonizing for most folks, but I think Legion is bringing more non-PVPers into the PVP scene than ever before.
    I'd say it's the other way around and that more PVPers are doing PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by Fathme View Post
    you've been brainwashed, sorry.

See first point, can't believe im actually reading this. Do you honestly think this is any different than before? If the answer is yes you should just stick to PVE.

can't even comment on the rest the first 2 paragraphs were enough for me
    So opinions that differ from your own equal "brainwashing"? The CC is a lot less then it used to be in regards to random BGs, hell even in arenas the CC has gone down a LOT compared to wod (and by a ton compared to mop, cata, woltk). Especially if you played since vanilla and remember stuff during woltk like all cc lasting 10 seconds instead of 8, opening stuns being on a different DR then other stuns so cheap-kindey was 10 second CC and so on for example.

And the rest is true as well, you can enter a random BG the second you ding and do really well, same if you just pve a lot. Even during wod a pve geared person was a free kill, before that you could almost global pve geared people.

Interesting ideas in this thread
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Pvp has a lower learning curve this xpac, I agree. It's also good for business so everyone wins. Except ofc for Wotlk-nostalgia-People....I almost feel sorry for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crruor View Post
    And the rest is true as well, you can enter a random BG the second you ding and do really well, same if you just pve a lot.
    No. You can't enter a random BG the second you ding and do really well. If you just PVE a lot, yes, you can enter and do really well, provided you are the right spec (the one that doesn't need too many honor talents to not be gimped).

- - - Updated - - -

The ladder so far does not reflect that (it loses players big time, not gains them).

Don't know of good numbers for measuring casual PVP, but I don't think it is growing either (again, the opposite).

Deleted
    As a vanilla player I have to agree that Legion brought some good and much needed changes, prestige being a part of it. Honor talents is also a very good addition.
    Yeah I know some salty kids will flame me and call me stuff, because they can't handle someone got a other opinion about it than they have.
    But I don't really care.
    I like Legion pvp, just need to work a bit more on balance -but that is a issue that have been around forever and gets screwed over at the beginning of each and every new expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the best expansion to just... well, do pvp. No mandatory gear grind and getting destroyed by people in superiour gear without a chance to retaliate, like level 50 against level 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    It's the best expansion to just... well, do pvp. No mandatory gear grind and getting destroyed by people in superiour gear without a chance to retaliate, like level 50 against level 60
    (Careful, someone who didn't PVP in Legion or before might take this for truth.)

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    No. You can't enter a random BG the second you ding and do really well. If you just PVE a lot, yes, you can enter and do really well, provided you are the right spec (the one that doesn't need too many honor talents to not be gimped).
    For some specs maybe, but ive always been able to just enter the second i ding (i.e sub 800ilvl, no honour talents, not even 3 relics) and do very well in bgs. Rated arenas are different obviously (although you can do well enough to cap anyways).

I don't care, if people think the pvp changes are good this expansion or else.

The problem with legion is the class design and pruning of most important abilities used to dominate the pvp scene for quite a long time.

The restrictions applied via pvp templates are used very incorrectly resulting in a big power gab between classes, just by this tool, thus resulting in cases where a class is totally dominating in wpvp and the worst in pvp instances due to templates, because its broken.

Honestly legion has the weirdest approach of balancing pvp god tier in the world out there, shit in instances. or vice versa.....why so much inconsistency?

Another thing to consider is the artefact biased melee meta in this addon, it certainly did not help pvp as a whole, when kite abilities and some survival was pruned for good, too.

Yeah looking forward to brawls too, and hopefully there will be a pvp isle too with unique rewards, but it won't help the fundamental problems with class design.

I actually wonder how the pvp expierence will be in the very last patch of legion, devs could still make it more enjoyable, if they put some focus on it. They prooved this in MoP, last patch.

Also i think its wrong to comment with wotlk as a great pvp expierence, because it sucked and was only a pve addon.

i rank addons that way when it comes to pvp enjoyment and creative ideas:

1. TBC, no contest arena was introduced, the class design made more sense with strong roles strenghts and weaknesses, yeah more like rock, scissors paper but it worked, the new bg had no machines in it and pve mobs what was a good idea, wrath brought machines no one liked these 2 bgs.

2. MoP, class design was great and superior, some classes like locks and shadowpriests got an overhaul in a very good way, lots of cc what was slightly annoying at times, but less class pruning more creative design and the timless isle with its blood coin farm i still love to farm ppl for that.

3. WoD, 3rd place due to ability pruning, but still not as worse as in legion, and ashran made sense for range dds while it sucked for melee, thus different points of views. Loved to loot people for their body parts and use their bones in my garrission. It added some rp aspects to pvp......nice advancement in a mmo, should have continued on that in legion, but people no longer drop stuff other than in ashran and its a pretty dead bg with long wait times.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2017-03-02 at 04:57 PM.

And the rest is true as well, you can enter a random BG the second you ding and do really well, same if you just pve a lot. Even during wod a pve geared person was a free kill, before that you could almost global pve geared people.
    oh thats right I forgot I get instant level 50 honor talents and 34 traits the second I hit 110, right? you're fucking stupid

Deleted
    This is the first expansion I quit because pvp is shit, as I only play ranged dps specs and Holinka decided that all ranged specs must suck the melee dick in pvp, and I was gone back in November.

Definitely coming back if my hunter becomes as good at pvp as it was in wod, or perhaps some other ranged spec picks up that mantle and becomes good for 1v1, wpvp and casual pvp between raids. Until that point, I have little incentive to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully Man View Post
    I'd say it's the other way around and that more PVPers are doing PvE.
    Turns out that most PvPers prefer to just smash people in 1 ability, and are no longer able to do that (in instanced PvP, at least).

I am with the OP here, Legion PvP is the best version of PvP WoW has ever offered. It has never been so balanced or skill-centered (from floor to ceiling) as it is now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmega View Post
    Turns out that most PvPers prefer to just smash people in 1 ability, and are no longer able to do that (in instanced PvP, at least).

I am with the OP here, Legion PvP is the best version of PvP WoW has ever offered. It has never been so balanced or skill-centered (from floor to ceiling) as it is now.
    Very likely plays an OP melee spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    Very likely plays an OP melee spec.
    I have a max level hunter, DK, and mage. I feel confident on all three, in all three of their specs.

That brings me to another upside this xpac has relative to previous ones: The viability of pretty much all specs in PvP. Before, there was a kind of understanding amongst players that certain specs were for pve and others were for pvp. That is largely not the case anymore, at least in pvp.

This is the first expansion I quit because pvp is shit, as I only play ranged dps specs and Holinka decided that all ranged specs must suck the melee dick in pvp, and I was gone back in November.

Definitely coming back if my hunter becomes as good at pvp as it was in wod, or perhaps some other ranged spec picks up that mantle and becomes good for 1v1, wpvp and casual pvp between raids. Until that point, I have little incentive to come back.
    The only people that think PVP is in good shape this expansion are PVE players. That is Holinka's target demographic anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Fathme View Post
    oh thats right I forgot I get instant level 50 honor talents and 34 traits the second I hit 110, right? you're fucking stupid
    You dont need either of them on most classes/specs. I have dinged multiple classes at 110 and with honour level 0 and with my artifact at 8 or so (whatever you get from leveling) done really well instantly. And the first 20 traits or so take an hour nowadays due to the catchup mechanics, which you can easily earn just by doing pvp.

Its really not that hard, especially in random bgs. Most honour talents are based around arenas and proper comps, they arent really needed in Bgs. And up to 1900 or so you dont really need them in arenas too.

- - - Updated - - -

There are plenty of ranged tier 1 pvp duel specs. As well as 3v3 and 2v2 specs.

Deleted
    There are plenty of ranged tier 1 pvp duel specs.
    Like what?

Mage - nope. tons of counters. DHs can do /spit on a mage and it loses 80% HP.
    Hunter - nope. no utility. easy sit on with a melee, no defenses against other ranged.
    Elemental shaman - nope. melee fodder.
    Boomkin - lol. nope.
    Shadow priest - soooooooooo nope.
    Warlock (afflicition) - decent. still can't handle most melee. gets utterly rekt by rogues and dhs. other specs are shit.