Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    No Im not sure, its just a cheap place to start, or you could test it with a multi-meter. if you want to reformat and it isnt going to cause you a long time to reinstall, that is up to you. Before you did that I would ask if there was anything you installed hardware or software prior to it acting up.

Heres a video on testing it, I didnt watch it in its entirety, but testing a psu can be tricky as with a multimeter you need to put a load on it for it to be accurate, however if your voltages are of by more than 20% that would usually indicate a bad psu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by niker99 View Post
    so ur almost sure its the psu?, or should i try reformat, its weekend now and i wont be able to get one this weekend,
    Have you opened up your case and double and triple checked all your cables are plugged in securely? One barely loose cable can cause a catastrophe.

Take it from me, I learned the very very very hard way.

3 Hard drives died.

The fact that this problem only happens under gaming load though tells me it has more to do with power. Whether from the PSU or something else... can't be sure. So I'll just reiterate, DO NOT reinstall your OS. That's an incredibly extreme thing to do for such an issue, before doing any of these other things.

Do you overclock at all? GPU and/or CPU?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Have you opened up your case and double and triple checked all your cables are plugged in securely? One barely loose cable can cause a catastrophe.

Take it from me, I learned the very very very hard way.

3 Hard drives died.

The fact that this problem only happens under gaming load though tells me it has more to do with power. Whether from the PSU or something else... can't be sure. So I'll just reiterate, DO NOT reinstall your OS. That's an incredibly extreme thing to do for such an issue, before doing any of these other things.

Do you overclock at all? GPU and/or CPU?
    haha just finished reinstalling my OS so its done now, and ye it only happens during gaming load so its probably psu or something, i have 600W but it may be bad i guess?, will see if its fixed now after reinstalling

10+ Year Old Account
    haha just finished reinstalling my OS so its done now, and ye it only happens during gaming load so its probably psu or something, i have 600W but it may be bad i guess?, will see if its fixed now after reinstalling
    If it is I will be damned.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If it is I will be damned.
    i got the MSI gtx 1070 card, some say i have to get the third party utility thingy for it?, is this correct or should i just go to nvidia geforce and update drivers therE?

10+ Year Old Account
    i got the MSI gtx 1070 card, some say i have to get the third party utility thingy for it?, is this correct or should i just go to nvidia geforce and update drivers therE?
    I always go to NVidia and download their drivers and clean install them myself.

I've never had the issue you speak of.

Again though, that's not necessarily the culprit, however you should always reinstall when you get a new GPU installed.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well play some wow and see what it does, like Deltrus, I dont think its the OS, PSU was where I would have started.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Well play some wow and see what it does, like Deltrus, I dont think its the OS, PSU was where I would have started.
    Well i just played some playerunknown battlegrounds for 30 min, no restart so far and its far more demanding than overwatch, guess im gonna head to nvidias website and auto update drivers there, and hope im still fine,

15+ Year Old Account
    Well i just played some playerunknown battlegrounds for 30 min, no restart so far and its far more demanding than overwatch, guess im gonna head to nvidias website and auto update drivers there, and hope im still fine,
    Good luck, I hope you solved it.

Deleted
    Good luck, I hope you solved it.
    should i go to nvidia and download drivers or just play without?, is it bad to play without?

15+ Year Old Account
    get the nvidia drivers.

should i go to nvidia and download drivers or just play without?, is it bad to play without?
    You always install the drivers so yeah, go to nvidia and get geforce experience.

Deleted
    get the nvidia drivers.
    so the disc i got with the graphic card is not important and i dont have to use it?, drier and utilities disc

15+ Year Old Account
    so the disc i got with the graphic card is not important and i dont have to use it?, drier and utilities disc
    No, that disk has a older nvidia driver on it, just go to nvidia.com, select drivers and grab the latest for your card and os.

Deleted
    No, that disk has a older nvidia driver on it, just go to nvidia.com, select drivers and grab the latest for your card and os.
    alright thanks, i guess if it ever restarts again im gonna go ahead and start with getting a better PSU first, and if that does not work i guess its time for a new motherboard...

15+ Year Old Account
    I strongly do not think its your motherboard, I could be wrong, I have been before as PC parts are notorious for making people pull their own face off, but that and the cpu is the last thing I would try.

Deleted
    I strongly do not think its your motherboard, I could be wrong, I have been before as PC parts are notorious for making people pull their own face off, but that and the cpu is the last thing I would try.
    kk so a new psu on monday and then trying something with the ram i guess, if it resets again

15+ Year Old Account
    kk so a new psu on monday and then trying something with the ram i guess, if it resets again
    lol

post what happens before you end up with a new "old" pc.

Troubleshoot grasshoppa!!

Deleted
    lol

post what happens before you end up with a new "old" pc.

Troubleshoot grasshoppa!!
    what do u mean, im confused LUL

15+ Year Old Account
    In other words..

Dont start replacing a bunch of parts until you troubleshoot it.

I would place my money on the psu, but without testing it, it could be something else, could be a pci lane burnt, a capacitor swell, a rectifier, a resistor, I could go on and on and on. But lets start with the basics.

Heres where I started in 1997. They are probably a little outdated but it will explain alot if you understand low voltage.

http://www.pcguide.com/intro/fun/components.htm

http://www.karbosguide.com/books/pca.../chapter04.htm