Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

New legendary system-the lucky stay lucky, the rest stay screwed

Haven't seen a post about this yet (might be overlooking it), but a guild member told me the system is changing to have bad luck protection be spec specific. This means, for example, a Hunter can start with MM, get 2 legendaries, switch to BM, get 2 legendaries, switch to SV and get 2 legendaries. The kicker is this applies to shared legendaries, so if my first 2 as MM are Sephuz, Prydaz, Roots, or Voodoo Mask, my chances are now hurt for SV and BM. If I start MM and BLP gives me Zevrim's and the gloves, I can switch to BM and reset my BLP and get 2 more almost instantly for that spec.
    Another look at it, when this change goes live, for my DH that has 2 specific tank legendaries, I can switch to dps and almost immediately get 2 new ones. My Hunter, on the other hand, has Prydaz, Sephuz, and Voodoo Mask, is now not affected by this change.
    What is Blizzard thinking with this? It can't be an alt catch up, as they also suffer the potential of 2 generics for their first ones. Is this designed simply to benefit/reward the people that are just lucky and screw the rest? Can't Blizzard make this system better, and how?

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Another look at it, when this change goes live, for my DH that has 2 specific tank legendaries, I can switch to dps and almost immediately get 2 new ones.
    And those two new ones can be Sephuz and Voodoo Mask or whatever trash legendaries that spec has.

Quote Originally Posted by Myztikrice View Post
    And those two new ones can be Sephuz and Voodoo Mask or whatever trash legendaries that spec has.
    Which still equals out to 4 in the time it used to take to get 2. If they get specific, not generic, it keeps going. Hence the title, the lucky stay lucky and the rest of us stay the same.
    If you're going to nay say a post, at least have a valid rebuttal to the topic, not bring up something the original post already stated.

They keep basing all their changes on the philosophy that every legendary should feel great to loot.
    Which, in theory, means that a legendary affecting all your specs has much greater value than a spec-specific one.
    Reality though is, as we all know, very different.
    A reality that Blizzard keeps ignoring.
    Oh well.. the days I gave a damn are long past.

Quote Originally Posted by Myztikrice View Post
    Something to note, is that if you get bad cross spec legendaries on one of your other specs, your main spec will have a better pool of legendaries.

Can't Blizzard make this system better, and how?
    Simple fix that they refuse to acknowledge that people have been saying since the start. Add a trade in vendor that allows you to break 2 legendaries into the 1 you want. Even link it to the Obliterum forge, Obliterate 2 Legendaries, Trade 2 dust currency for the 1 Legendary you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lunavale View Post
    Something to note, is that if you get bad cross spec legendaries on one of your other specs, your main spec will have a better pool of legendaries.
    Except if you start off with as MM and say get 2 MM legendaries, swap to BM, get Sephuz and Prydaz then you have 4 for MM and gg you're fucked of farming for over a month and a half to get your 5th legendaries for MM because as much as Blizzard wants to say "you're as likely to get your 7th as fast as you got your 3rd" we all know that's bullshit otherwise the people with over 3000 Mythic+ clears would have all 10 of their legendaries for their main spec and very few IF ANY have all their legendaries for a single spec, including shared ones.

So the system isn't a fix or a bandaid its just another slap in the face because they refuse to address the actual problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've gotten 5 legendaries to date, 6th is likely on the horizon soon. The first one was BiS while the second the worst, my 5th one happened to be another great one. Know why I have so many? Because I farm up to Mythic 15+ each week, do NH Norm and Heroic clears and Emerald Nightmare. That right there, is why I will have more legendaries than regular Joe who's crying about not even having two or having crap legendaries. Guess what? The amount of effort you put in determines how often you get these legendaries. Don't like it? Stiff.

Also, if you don't like that you've gotten shit legendaries, farm challenging content and the legendaries will drop like candy and you won't have to put up with the shitty legendaries for much longer.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2017-03-04 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    I've gotten 5 legendaries to date, 6th is likely on the horizon soon. The first one was BiS while the second the worst, my 5th one happened to be another great one. Know why I have so many? Because I farm up to Mythic 15+ each week, do NH Norm and Heroic clears and Emerald Nightmare. That right there, is why I will have more legendaries than regular Joe who's crying about not even having two or having crap legendaries. Guess what? The amount of effort you put in determines how often you get these legendaries. Don't like it? Stiff.

Also, if you don't like that you've gotten shit legendaries, farm challenging content and the legendaries will drop like candy and you won't have to put up with the shitty legendaries for much longer.
    I got 5 legendaries on my main too! They're all shit and provide almost no performance gain in most situations. But I guess my time wasn't as valuable as yours. Or maybe my effort wasn't of high enough quality.

Equating effort with reward in this system is fucking crazy. Its luck. Thats it. Some get lucky. Others don't. Period.

I leveled a monk 3 weeks ago, got 2 bis legendaries immediately. Last night I got a 3rd after doing very little on him beyond doing my weekly 15 and heroic NH clear.

Been playing my Paladin alt since release. Got 1 bis legendary and 1 useless, still haven't gotten a 3rd although I've probably put who knows how many more hours on him than my monk.

Its a gigantic slot machine that operates on the time scale of months. You can work really hard and get nothing but shit for a really long time. Thats what this game is now.
    Last edited by Skarzog; 2017-03-04 at 09:12 AM.

I have 6 legendaries & 59 days played at 110. One is decent, the other four... Not so much.

I'm still missing out on a legendary that's a 8-10% damage increase & a huge survivability increase when paired with the other legendary I have. You can tell me I can just go do challenging content, but I've done it for so fecking long I think I've earned the right to not have to continue playing from 10% behind.

To get two great legendaries in five is incredibly lucky.

Its cute that people think legendaries make or break their character.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    43 weeks to get my T2 head from Onyxia and complete my 8 set which provided dps bonus. The game was always like that its just that the problem is now exaggerated because the items are supposedly legendary.

Try having important tier bonuses from NH and not getting the loot. You won't notice it because you are looking at the diversion created by legendaries. What they basically tell you is rot playing the game and maybe you can get one and when you get one it will be oh so good.

Facts:

1. It won't be oh so good when you get one
    2. Regardless of whatever I said you ll still think the 6th 7th and 8th legendary will make you so you ll keep being frustrated for the game's entirety.

Very bad design by blizzard in terms of player satisfaction but excellent design for their pockets. Corporate mentality at its (worst) best. Trust me mate go for tier bonuses screw the legendaries they re mostly stat sticks and bad stats at that.
    Difference between now and then though, biggest part of that reason was raid sizes vs amount of loot dropping. Yeah always been some random luck involved as well, but this is different in that you know it is simply nothing but random luck. You aren't splitting drops with the group that are watering it down, it's just plain old good or bad luck which for some reason or another feels bad. Maybe back then it was because you could justify it with the fact that others were getting the loot where with this system your efforts don't really matter for another individual, it's once again pure luck.

The system really is bad and frankly what they should have done if they were going this spec route was to break each of the utility's up to an assigned spec to count for rather than all of them counting for every spec.

Deleted

5? That's the average. Hunter in my guild has 8 and she barely does what you might call grind.
    Your 5 are bis or near enough. Grats. My 5 are spread over 3 specs and none of them 1st or 2nd bis for any of them. I don't have the "all-purpose" ring or necklace either so I expect to get those before finally getting a bis one.

Taking a system from a lootfest game, that relies on a massive amount of drops, and not adjusting for the droprate has been a really bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicymemer View Post
    Depending on the spec in certain environments it most certainly can. The difference ST between a Fire mage with good legendaries and utility ones is a pretty good chunk of change. Generally if you aren't mythic raiding it's not going to be a huge deal, but in that particular scenario you very well could lose a spot to those that do have them.

Would be a bit better if they put also utility legendaries on a separate BLP counter, "utility spec". But Overall all these separate BLP categories sounds quite complicated solution. The new relinquished token could help with targeting legendaries, but only if the drop rate is enough high to be meaningful.

I'd just add something like "Fragment of Legendary", that drops rarely from the same sources as random legendaries. It would give players a feeling of real progression and still maintain an aspect of surprise:

Haven't seen a post about this yet (might be overlooking it), but a guild member told me the system is changing to have bad luck protection be spec specific. This means, for example, a Hunter can start with MM, get 2 legendaries, switch to BM, get 2 legendaries, switch to SV and get 2 legendaries. The kicker is this applies to shared legendaries, so if my first 2 as MM are Sephuz, Prydaz, Roots, or Voodoo Mask, my chances are now hurt for SV and BM. If I start MM and BLP gives me Zevrim's and the gloves, I can switch to BM and reset my BLP and get 2 more almost instantly for that spec.
    Another look at it, when this change goes live, for my DH that has 2 specific tank legendaries, I can switch to dps and almost immediately get 2 new ones. My Hunter, on the other hand, has Prydaz, Sephuz, and Voodoo Mask, is now not affected by this change.
    What is Blizzard thinking with this? It can't be an alt catch up, as they also suffer the potential of 2 generics for their first ones. Is this designed simply to benefit/reward the people that are just lucky and screw the rest? Can't Blizzard make this system better, and how?
    Yes, I thought the same when I read the twitter message confirimg those generic legs count towards the spec specific count.

The question that is left is: Will getting such a generic legendary only reset the BLP on the spec you got it, or will it reset the BLP for all your specs?

Why does that matter? If it is the first, it indeed is majorly unfair towards people that got those generic legendaries in the first place.
    Not only they cannot switch spec and benefit from the increased drop rate of the first two legs, but that would also mean people that were lucky not to get those legendaries could switch to their (unused) second/third/forth spec, getting those bad legendaries there, and since it would not reduce the BLP of their main spec they then could just switch back to their main spec and fish for the remaining good ones.

Feelsbad when you have Sephuz's, Aggramar's Stride and Prydaz

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Depending on the spec in certain environments it most certainly can. The difference ST between a Fire mage with good legendaries and utility ones is a pretty good chunk of change. Generally if you aren't mythic raiding it's not going to be a huge deal, but in that particular scenario you very well could lose a spot to those that do have them.
    Theres 3 kinds of 'mythic raider'.

Ones that have or are close to clearing 10/10m, these people have multiple characters at 900+ ilvl, if for some super unlikely reason they don't have good dps legendaries, they definitely have alts at a very similar itemlevel which contribute better because of their spec.

Ones that are between 4-7/10m, these people have 1 definitive main that will have 4+ legendaries, they are at this current progression not because of legendaries, but because of player capability in either knowledge of class/encounters or effort into acquiring stronger gear.

Ones that are 3/10m or below, these people are not relevant to this discussion, their performance is so hindered by their knowledge and experience that no matter if they had access to the best legendaries their spec has to offer, they dont have the skill to capitalise on it.

Nobody loses raid spots for having 'bad' legendaries, just delusional bad players

You miss the point. You always compete with other players, it doesn't matter if you play in a mythic world first guild or struggle to get past som mid boss in normal mode. And you compare your performance relative to the players in your raid.
    Two good legendaries can easily make a dps difference from 5-10%. That means when player A who was always better than player B gets bad legendaries, but player B wins the lottery and gets the BIS ones, player B is now suddenly competing with player A. This will make player A pretty frustrated, and I think we can all agree that is something a game you want to play for fun should avoid.

Theres 3 kinds of 'mythic raider'.

Ones that have or are close to clearing 10/10m, these people have multiple characters at 900+ ilvl, if for some super unlikely reason they don't have good dps legendaries, they definitely have alts at a very similar itemlevel which contribute better because of their spec.

Ones that are between 4-7/10m, these people have 1 definitive main that will have 4+ legendaries, they are at this current progression not because of legendaries, but because of player capability in either knowledge of class/encounters or effort into acquiring stronger gear.

Ones that are 3/10m or below, these people are not relevant to this discussion, their performance is so hindered by their knowledge and experience that no matter if they had access to the best legendaries their spec has to offer, they dont have the skill to capitalise on it.

Nobody loses raid spots for having 'bad' legendaries, just delusional bad players
    I don't think they are the ones that are delusional here

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how you guys are ignoring the fact that this change means zero for those classes with 1 spec of each type.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.