Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Every President is going to have people who hate them.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Things usually have not nearly been this partisan as they are now. There are always some people that are unhappy, and it's tough for everyone to be happy because the President is tied to so many different issues. So if there are 10 issues, a person might agree with the stance of a President on 7 or 8 of them, but there will always be a couple they disagree with.

It's kind of an interesting system overall the longer you see it. The rotating Presidents keep comedians and late night tv hosts happy, and SNL, because there is always something to bash them on or make fun of them on. Also, Presidents are kind of a built-in scapegoat. Since they are only around for 4-8 years, Congress can do a lot of wrong but much of the general public will tend the blame the President for everything. Then the President leaves but the Congress that is not in the public eye nearly as much are really the ones putting through a lot of the legislation directly affecting people that they don't like. It's just easier to point the finger at 1 person that groups of Senators and Representatives.

Generally on both party sides we've had a run of mostly mediocre Presidents since the mid-60's to now...

Johnson - Pretty much to blame for most of the Vietnam mistakes (although tbh Kennedy contributed too). Not good.
    Nixon - Watergate, would have been impeached had he not resigned...enough said there. And stretched out the Vietnam War for political gain.
    Ford - Only 1 (and a bit of Nixon's after he resigned) term because was not a good President. The economy tanked, gas crisis, environment was a mess.
    Carter - Also 1 term and got roflstomped by Reagan, 489 EC to 49 lol. A complete disaster of a President, Three Mile Island, Iran Hostage debacle, 13% Inflation, ugh.
    Reagan - Pretty clearly the best one in the last 50 years. Ended the Cold War, and he took a disaster of an economy he inherited and had it roaring up through his term.
    Bush 41 - Overall not great and mostly won by default from being Reagan's VP. The first Gulf War went well but in most other areas he disappointed.
    Clinton - Loads of scandals, and his inaction against Bin Laden lead to 9-11 after he left office. Spent more time dealing with scandals than getting things done.
    Bush 43 - Got us through 9-11, but he had a rep of being hard to get along with and his staff were a revolving door. And there was the bank crisis and the Iraq mess...
    Obama/Trump - Recent enough that everyone has their own opinion on them.

So yeah, it's been a fairly disappointing run for a long time now. Both Bush Presidents were a mix of good and bad, and I could find something good to say about every President if I had to. But other than Reagan I can't say we've had a President in 50 years (other than Obama who will be for important historic reasons) really worthy of a major monument or pictured on money. It's kind of sad that out of the entire US population that all Presidents aren't at the bar of Eisenhower/Kennedy/Reagan. There are almost 320M people in the US, we should be able to find and elect a President that is amazing in every aspect every single election.

Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt (both of them tbh), FDR, Eisenhower
    Last edited by shoegazing; 2017-03-05 at 05:21 AM.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

Grover Cleveland, though I'm not sure he fits into the 100 year time frame.

He was a great president for a time that needed cleaning up. I'd say there was probably some hope that Trump would be like him - a card shark who knows how the system is rigged being the best one to unravel it. But then baby-hands did what baby-hands does and he just whines and whines and never accepts responsibility.

For short term modern presidents, Ike. He wasn't too controversial and he left us with the warning of the Military Industrial Complex - even though he didn't do much to limit the powers thereof during his presidency which was arguably an invitation to the cold war. As it stands we're still on that military spending kick as the contract money is spread around the states liberally so no one wants to kill any projects.

Also it helps that it's a readiness thing and many of those working in arms manufacture are highly specialized skilled laborers that if they left would be impossible to replace quickly if there was a crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by xero5141 View Post
    I can think of at least one guy who didn't like JFK...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I guess we will see if you're right with who our current president is.
    He said a trained monkey, not a monkey that was exiled for eating the shit instead of throwing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    F.D. Roosevelt?
    Some will dislike his big government and entitlement policy's. Some will also dislike his stance on the war. I think the one who would get the most votes but never everyone would be Abraham Lincoln and MAYBE George Washington. But yeah you wont get everyone to agree any of them were good or excellent there will always be those ho don't. My personal vote would be for Teddy Roosevelt but that's just me.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Several. Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Teddy and FDR Roosevelt, Eisenhower, John Kennedy, Reagan. Even Trump may end up being one. Shocker I know. But as always, Time proves all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Several. Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Teddy and FDR Roosevelt, Eisenhower, John Kennedy, Reagan. Even Trump may end up being one. Shocker I know. But as always, Time proves all things.
    With Teddy and Reagan in there the bar isn't exactly set high.

Everybody will never agree on anything. Especially as long as the US clings so desperately to a bi-partisan "us and them" system.

However there are a lot of presidents that are widely regarded by a fair majority to have been good or great.

Looking over ratings. J.F.K. entered and "left" office with the highest overall approval that I saw.

How good or bad a President is, is based entirely on how educated you are about their term.
    Too many people are influenced by word of mouth, and not fact.
    I could tell you who is poised to be considered the one of the best Presidents we've ever had, based entirely on their actual actions while in office, from the judgement of historians.
    But you'd still disagree on who that is, even if it's a fact.

And in a world where people believe in lizard men and other such crazy shit,
    it's clear word of mouth is pretty much all that matters.

So someone could hate a President, entirely based on B.S. his friends/political influences told him.
    Wouldn't make it true.

So unless everyone you were asking, looked up every President's actual career/term in office.
    Nah, it'd be impossible to arrive at a consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    Gentle reminder: Russians also helped get JFK elected.
    Gentle reminder: Cuban Missile Crisis
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    He said a trained monkey, not a monkey that was exiled for eating the shit instead of throwing it.
    ...and then vomiting it all over twitter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

No, I haven't been elected President yet.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

From what I can tell when I looekd into it : Washington. That's it.

Close second: Theo Roosevelt, Abe Lincoln.

Rest had too many critics to say "everybody" agreed... Just my observations as a Brit
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ronald Reagan

7+ Year Old Account
    Jefferson and Kennedy, that's about it. I don't think Reagan was a good president overall, but he was the president we needed at the time (due to the cold war). Of course, you could put a chimpanzee in the white house and it'd be better than what we have now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kennedy, Washington and Lincoln are, pretty much, universally loved. Reagan was too at the time, even though now many people don't admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    I really liked Bill Clinton. And I think that despite what he did, people from both parties liked him. The problem comes mainly from hardcore republicans & democrats. They both can't stand each other. There is no such thing as a moderate president because they have to choose a side to have a chance to win.
    I absolutely adored Billy! As they say, "first black president".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

President Camacho was fairly well received. I mean there were two retards who briefly didn't agree on him being excellent, but who cares.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seja Victrix View Post
    F.D. Roosevelt?
    Crippletron does not count.

I'll say John Jay, because no one remembers him.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    Gentle reminder: Cuban Missile Crisis
    You don't actually know much about the that do you? Because, please explain the response.