Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Plate for solo PvP

Hey All,

Looking at picking up a plate toon for solo Pvp. Im new returning to legion but a long time player otherwise. So I thought I'd ask this community for their opinions on pros and cons of dks, warriors and paladins and specs (I do realize pallys have a healing spec and I'd be interested in knowing how it compares to other healers) thanks for any responses.

Cheers

Ret pala.

Or blood dk / prot warrior / prot pala (I'd take blood dk) if you want to just be a pain in the ass, particularly in so called "world PVP".

(Trust me, you don't want a detailed answer as to "why", because if we go down into details, the answer is going to change to "pick whatever, there are pros and cons to everything, plus there are tons of subjective factors, especially for solo = the type of PVP that is unsupported by the devs".)

OK thanks for your reply, I've been reading a lot about this world pvp business, has it evolved into something more than just ganking levelers or people who've afk'd? I was leating towards warriors as from what I remember they had the most mobility and utility (outside of self heals ofc)

Quote Originally Posted by Primalife View Post
    OK thanks for your reply, I've been reading a lot about this world pvp business, has it evolved into something more than just ganking levelers or people who've afk'd? I was leating towards warriors as from what I remember they had the most mobility and utility (outside of self heals ofc)
    Utility for the most part has been pruned out of the game, PvP is now a case of "Who has the better cooldowns" and "who can burst down who faster"

World PvP is a mess, If you're a tank spec, you're a god, if you're a healer, you ain't gonna kill shit, if you're a DPS, you just pop everything, get a kill, die, repeat.

Rated PvP is different, but the games still heavily based around "who's CD's are stronger" right now. If you're after a plate DPS for solo queuing in random BG's, go with a Ret paladin, where every other class lost a lot of utility, ret mostly kept theirs and they haven't been penalized damage wise because of it. Frost DK's are also a very strong candidate, though i believe they're getting nerfed relatively soon, and they're not as durable as a Ret is.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was always something more. My old realm had a long-standing world PvP community that had rivalries between guilds and tons of drama that sometimes went too far as a result of those rivalries.

There are other realms like this out and about, I've never counted "ganking and killing low levels" as actual world PvP. Solo world PvP to me is going around and killing people 1v2/1v3 and enjoying the salt.

If you want a spec for solo world PvP that's a plate, play a ret. It's probably the dumbest 1v1 spec (besides DH) due to it's overloaded kit and ease of play these days (inc salt but sadly it's true).

Quote Originally Posted by Krassz View Post
    It was always something more. My old realm had a long-standing world PvP community that had rivalries between guilds and tons of drama that sometimes went too far as a result of those rivalries.

There are other realms like this out and about, I've never counted "ganking and killing low levels" as actual world PvP. Solo world PvP to me is going around and killing people 1v2/1v3 and enjoying the salt.

If you want a spec for solo world PvP that's a plate, play a ret. It's probably the dumbest 1v1 spec (besides DH) due to it's overloaded kit and ease of play these days (inc salt but sadly it's true).
    Gotcha = ret equal salty world pvper, I've seen lots of cranky people talking about DHs and their crazy burst but I assume with most classes you can learn to cc them as you get used to playing against them, since this is their first expac, I would think its similar to how DKs and monks were when they were introduced.

Deleted
    Wpvp is shit in Legion. There is no resilience and PVE damage is out of this world, meaning players just fucking one-two shot eachother. You can't even duel because it's over in 5 sec. Specs with burst can just two shot something and then run, then come back and two shot something again.

Hey All,

Looking at picking up a plate toon for solo Pvp. Im new returning to legion but a long time player otherwise. So I thought I'd ask this community for their opinions on pros and cons of dks, warriors and paladins and specs (I do realize pallys have a healing spec and I'd be interested in knowing how it compares to other healers) thanks for any responses.

Cheers
    If you plan on doing arenas though, I'd warn you that ret is the squishiest plate of the 3.

PvP WQ areas have daily events, I like to take my WW and wreck havoc! If you take a tank there it would take a small army to get you down.

Deleted
    Hey All,

Cheers
    With solo PvP, do you mean random BGs, arena skirmishes or WPvP?
    For instanced solo queue Frost DK is your best bet, Fury Warrior is also very powerful (probably one of the best 1vs1 spec in the game) while Retribution is just 4 min bubble and after that you die, simple as that. You are a free kill for Mages as ret. Paladin also has by far the worst pvp healing spec in the game.
    So just pick up Furry or Protection Warrior or Frost/UH DK. Ret is only good for World PvP.
    Between Furry Warrior and DK you are choosing mobility vs tankiness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    PvP WQ areas have daily events, I like to take my WW and wreck havoc! If you take a tank there it would take a small army to get you down.
    Tanks do very low damage, so that "army" is free to focus on other targets, because tank damage is pathetic when not being fed procs. Guardian druid, for example, is a livelord but does very low damage, so you can just leave it alone. Brewmaster is in the same boat. Only tanks that do decent damage are warrior and paladin.

A tank will ever only going to beat you if you let it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    With solo PvP, do you mean random BGs, arena skirmishes or WPvP?
    For instanced solo queue Frost DK is your best bet, Fury Warrior is also very powerful (probably one of the best 1vs1 spec in the game) while Retribution is just 4 min bubble and after that you die, simple as that. You are a free kill for Mages as ret. Paladin also has by far the worst pvp healing spec in the game.
    So just pick up Furry or Protection Warrior or Frost/UH DK. Ret is only good for World PvP.
    Between Furry Warrior and DK you are choosing mobility vs tankiness.
    Pretty much random bgs, world quests and the occasional arena/rbgs (even though I'm sure you still only get into rbgs as a rogue) when I say solo I mean I don't have any friends that play and never have a healer or a team mate to do it with. So just a solo toon in general I suppose. I started leveling my hunter but I'must not sure how they match up these days

Deleted
    Pretty much random bgs, world quests and the occasional arena/rbgs (even though I'm sure you still only get into rbgs as a rogue) when I say solo I mean I don't have any friends that play and never have a healer or a team mate to do it with. So just a solo toon in general I suppose. I started leveling my hunter but I'must not sure how they match up these days
    I'm not sure hunter is a good idea for solo pvp. They are nowhere near as strong as in mop and wod because they lack the tools to keep melee off them. Shitlinka took away almost all kiting tools and left only conc shot and disengage, meanwhile every melee spec except frost dk, has ranged attacks and several gap closers (4 if you're a fury warrior). BM might work because of its high mobility and pet doing the dps for you, but MM is boned in pvp where it doesn't have a wall of meatshields.
    Last edited by mmoc594fd2488f; 2017-03-05 at 10:07 AM.

Deleted
    honestly as someone who has played warrior since day one of wow, i enjoy hunter far more for solo pvp as i am less reliant on having a pocket healer the issue with melee is that you have to run into the shit show so it dosnt really matter how strong your specc is if you run into 4-5 peopleing aoeing you're going down regardless if you dont have a Dedicated healer backing your ass up. where as my hunter surely doesn't seem to struggle in either the situation mentioned above or in 1v1 overall i just have more fun with the class and feel as i have a few more options of play after they gave us traps back ( i play MM btw)

Fury Warrior what else?

Did you check his hp and burst? even in instanced pvp like arenas?

Do it now. They are fotm.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gotcha = ret equal salty world pvper, I've seen lots of cranky people talking about DHs and their crazy burst but I assume with most classes you can learn to cc them as you get used to playing against them, since this is their first expac, I would think its similar to how DKs and monks were when they were introduced.
    Not really much you can do 1v1 vs DH, their kit is too overloaded and too easy to use. They have every single thing you want in a 1v1 situation.

Ret paladin. Having 3 lives makes you a solo king. Having a built in stun break is amazing for solo play, having high burst / damage in general makes you really strong in solo play.

... Ret paladin is awesome for solo play.

for world solo PvP Ret pally 1st (cuz of 3 lives + good burst) then id go with Fury War, their burst in Wpvp is truly insane.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaNLG View Post
    Utility for the most part has been pruned out of the game, PvP is now a case of "Who has the better cooldowns" and "who can burst down who faster"

Rated PvP is different, but the games still heavily based around "who's CD's are stronger" right now. If you're after a plate DPS for solo queuing in random BG's, go with a Ret paladin, where every other class lost a lot of utility, ret mostly kept theirs and they haven't been penalized damage wise because of it. Frost DK's are also a very strong candidate, though i believe they're getting nerfed relatively soon, and they're not as durable as a Ret is.
    How is this any different from any iteration of PvP, in any MMO or MOBA? And are you saying that timing does not matter in the current PvP landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohmega View Post
    How is this any different from any iteration of PvP, in any MMO or MOBA? And are you saying that timing does not matter in the current PvP landscape?
    It was rarely, if ever like that for WoW back in the past, you could outplay opponents no matter what class they were, the utility to do so existed, it no longer does, WoW PvP is now a burst game, to keep things 'simple' for the ever growing pleb gaming consumer who wants quick satisfaction.