Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I like California. They're very progressive and enjoy a high standard of living. If the chart above had measured California vs Canada it would look different. Given that California is propping up the US as a whole, that means the gap in the other 49 states must be even worse.
    California has the highest unemployment rate and largest national debt of all states. so... GG?

Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    He know better than most people what he's talking about and apple can't stand that and the competition from real computers. The fact that you turn down a famous techie. Obviously famous because of dedicated fans looking into his expertise, implies.
    Famous =/= knowledgeable. At this point he just reads the teleprompter while holding up a product that he knows absolutely nothing about and it's shows in all the mistakes that are caught by real techies. Only apple product I ever owned was a Nano like 10years ago and I'm currently using a 5930k in a PC I built so I'm clearly an Apple shill.

Sorry if it hurts your feelings that Linus isn't held as any kind of authority in the tech world outside of marketing. I got nothing against Linus just pointing out to the first person that his channel isn't a real good source for that kind of info.

It's like watching "The Daily Show" or "The Colbert Report" to keep you up to date on the news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    California has the highest unemployment rate and largest national debt of all states. so... GG?
    https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

?

Welp honestly speaking if todays Canadian cultural and economic ideology is the new american dream, the old one should be ashamed of such descendant.

I mean they have a TRUDEAUA or something as a prime minister and the face of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

American eagle versus Canada goose.
    aussie wedge tail will fuck up ya shit yank bird

Avatar and Sig by Serryn. Amazing TY

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    I mean Canada is hardcore carried by like three provinces I think.
    Because they have most of the people. Between them, Ontario, Quebec, and BC are 74% of the population.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    My suggestion would be to compare Canada to the states that are the most demographically and culturally similar. I don't think you'll find much difference between Minnesota and Canada, for example.

More broadly, normalizing for ethnicity would be instructive. The American numbers are dragged down significantly by the significantly lower performance of Latinos and African-Americans relative to whites and Asian-Americans.
    How would that be instructive? That's just skewing statistics because the US is unable to assist it's lower class citizens.

I love the logic of some Americans when it comes to statistics: "well if you just ignore these groups of people or these specific cities from our statistics then we're actually on par / better than x country"

The American Dream has been dead for ages. The US has some of the lowest social mobility rates in the developed world.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-03-06 at 03:43 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    How exactly does a state have national debt?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    How would that be instructive? That's just skewing statistics because the US is unable to assist it's lower class citizens.

I love the logic of some Americans when it comes to statistics: "well if you just ignore these groups of people or these specific cities from our statistics then we're actually on par / better than x country"

The American Dream has been dead for ages. The US has some of the lowest social mobility rates in the developed world.
    This is a really head-in-the-sand approach to demographic and cultural differences. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's been deteriorating for awhile. I thought about NZ/Australia, too. Nice weather.

I grew up in the cold north of Alaska though, so I have a special fondness for mountains and pine trees.
    Literally 60% of the NZ South Island is mountains, so they've got you covered !

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Literally 60% of the NZ South Island is mountains, so they've got you covered !
    My boyfriend went to med school in NZ, he just took a two-week vacation with his dad last month. Pics look beautiful.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is a really head-in-the-sand approach to demographic and cultural differences. Whatever.
    Being black or latino does not automatically make you worse off than someone is white. If your country is not able to care for or elevate it's lower class citizens then why shouldn't it be reflected in statistics?

You literally want to pick and choose which states to compare to a whole country lol.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-03-06 at 03:52 AM.

Being black or latino does not automatically make you worse off than someone is white. If your country is not able to care for or elevate it's lower class citizens then why shouldn't it be reflected in statistics?
    I didn't say "automatically". That's not how demographics work.

Blaming the United States for Latino-Americans not performing as well as Asian-Americans seems so absurd that only someone who just kinda dislikes the USA in the first place would bother to trot it out.

Of course, these same minority groups that don't perform well in the USA don't perform well in Canada either (one of many sources), Canada just has a lot less of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Honestly, those numbers don't look all that different. I myself favor Australia or Switzerland, in case the situation in the US deteriorates.
    The education gap is significant, 46% to 59% is about 1 in 7 people. I wouldn't discount 5% home ownership or 3 extra vacation days either(although to be honest i'd prefer more).

Misleading title thread. Dusty Rhodes died two years ago.

OT, Canada just has "less" problems because it's smaller than the US. That's all.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say "automatically". That's not how demographics work.

Blaming the United States for Latino-Americans not performing as well as Asian-Americans seems so absurd that only someone who just kinda dislikes the USA in the first place would bother to trot it out.

Of course, these same minority groups that don't perform well in the USA don't perform well in Canada either (one of many sources), Canada just has a lot less of them.
    I didn't say Canada has no social inequity. But you want to compare a state of your choosing to compare to an entire country. Including Canada's worst performing citizens. That is called skewing statistics.

The difference between the US and Canada is that we are able to provide a better environment for social mobility.

Not wanting to skew statistics is not disliking a country.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I might be getting trolled....

Did you know Canadians own a big chunk of Florida?

Vacation homes mostly I'm sure. It's the wealthiest and closest of the countries on that list.

I didn't say Canada has no social inequity. But you want to compare a state of your choosing to compare to an entire country. Including Canada's worst performing citizens. That is called skewing statistics.

The difference between the US and Canada is that we are able to provide a better environment for social mobility.
    <snip>
    Your inability to grasp that having larger populations of lower performing groups drags aggregated data down is really tiresome. This isn't that hard to understand, but you're dedicated to not understanding it.

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks for posting some relevant information. Most posters seems to want to turn this thread into a meme despite the fact it's only snowed about 4 times here this winter.

California has the same population as Canada but California has twice the GDP of Canada.
    So the measure by which how desirable a nation is by their productivity and not the happiness and the QoL of the inhabitants.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future