Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    For all of those thinking about moving to glorious Canadia land of the free.
    1. They gave us Celine Dion (kinda on the fence on this one)
    2. They produced Justin ffing Bieber (a crime so vile I am still hoping the UN will impose sanctions on them)
    We also gave you Rush, Our Lady Peace, Priestess, The Guess Who, Steppenwolf, Theory of a Deadman, Trooper, Finger Eleven, Bleeker, Econoline Crush, and numerous others.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Astigmatizm View Post
    I'd hope anyone looking to move actually does a fair bit more research than a simple infograph.
    I heard theyre not accepting Americans anymore. The government tried to vet for the bad ones but they got in anyways, and now theyre banning all Americans. Smart move, honestly. Canada has a strong cultural heritage and they have good reason to believe its at stake with such an influx of political refugees from the South.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    We also gave you Rush, Our Lady Peace, Priestess, The Guess Who, Steppenwolf, Theory of a Deadman, Trooper, Finger Eleven, Bleeker, Econoline Crush, and numerous others.
    I Mother Earth, Alexis on Fire, The Tragically Hip

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I like California. They're very progressive and enjoy a high standard of living. If the chart above had measured California vs Canada it would look different. Given that California is propping up the US as a whole, that means the gap in the other 49 states must be even worse.
    California stats:

College degree: 34% (vs 31% nationwide - the stats in the OP must be using a different metric)
    http://www.ppic.org/main/keystat.asp?i=1264#1

Unemployment rate: 5.2% (higher than the 4.9% national average, again different metric to OP).
    https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Home ownership rate: 54.6%
    http://journal.firsttuesday.us/calif...rship-2/30161/

Life expectancy: 80.8 years (more than US average 79)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ife_expectancy

Can't find decent stats on average vacation days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/t...ved-to-canada/

By virtually every measure, Canada has surpassed the United States as the shining city on the hill, where everyone is safe to reach their potential. And people around the world have begun to notice. From the United States, refugees and asylum seekers are now fleeing into Canada hoping for a fair immigration hearing and a better future. In Latin America, there are reports of economic migrants heading north, intending to cross the U.S. border and keep moving, into Canada. And, overseas, ESL students are increasingly choosing Canada over the U.S.

Whether it was due to geography or history or maybe even policy, we have arrived. Everything America once aspired to be, we now are. Not only have we achieved the fabled American Dream, we are arguably among the safest, healthiest, happiest human beings to have ever existed.

...as the American Dream has now become Canadian, perhaps it is time we also took on the role as the land of the free, and opened our doors wider still. Numerous studies have shown Canada could easily absorb far more immigrants than we do now. In fact, if we want to protect our economy from the effects of an aging population and declining birth rate, we need to attract more.
    It is often noted that in the early 20th century, Canadian prime minister Sir Wilfred Laurier declared, “Canada shall be the star towards which all men who love progress and freedom shall come.” Let’s make that line as famous and meaningful as this once was: “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

If Canada opened its doors wide for immigrants, its life expectancy would drop, its percentage of citizens with college degrees would drop, its percentage of people who own a home would drop, pretty much everything would drop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    If Canada opened its doors wide for immigrants, its life expectancy would drop, its percentage of citizens with college degrees would drop, its percentage of people who own a home would drop, pretty much everything would drop.
    only if they are american immigrants

10+ Year Old Account
    That is all very well and good, but Canada is the country equivalent of watching paint dry.

Indeed. I'm grateful for being in the US versus, say, Afghanistan. Especially as a woman.
    Living in the US is better than living in Afghanistan? Talk about damning with faint praise

Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    Canada is really cool. LinusTechTips is from Canada !
    Did someone mention my name?

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Sure, invoke the usual selective memory and feigned obtuseness.

Wanting to compare penis sizes over total wealth...
    No, I just literally didn't refer to total wealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    ...is the only reason you want to selectively remove entire groups of "underperforming" people from consideration. You just thinly veil it under "comparing between similar ethnic groups" and expect everyone is stupid enough to fall for that nonsensical reason, as if that somehow detracts that regardless of the reasoning America is unable to provide social mobility, which is the actual point of the OP and the articles linked in the thread so far.

Nobody is arguing social mobility between ethnic groups, but social mobility in nations in general, so for you to be cherrypicking ethnic groups, that's the very non sequitur you have been crying foul over the last few threads you have been in. Nothing beats the perpetrator diverting attention by being the first to complain.
    As mentioned repeatedly, I think it would be more instructive to compare like to like. How do American whites compare to Canadian whites? What about Asian immigrants? What about regions that are culturally similar (Minnesota and Wisconsin are the obvious candidates, which is why I mentioned Minnesota).

Black people and Latino people fare poorly in both countries. The United States has many more black and Latino people. Anyone with a basic grasp on how to look at data will immediately note that this significantly impacts aggregated data.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    California has the same population as Canada but California has twice the GDP of Canada.
    How much of that is skewed by the ridiculous tech salaries because of cost of living though?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LinusTechTip View Post
    Did someone mention my name?
    You'd think Linus or someone from LTT would spell their name correctly.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    I like California. They're very progressive and enjoy a high standard of living. If the chart above had measured California vs Canada it would look different. Given that California is propping up the US as a whole, that means the gap in the other 49 states must be even worse.
    Hey

Dont forget NY

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then those who are planning to immigrate to the US, should pick Canada instead. Would be fine with me. Too crowded here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Risale View Post
    3. The weather during all 4 seasons can only be described thus.....
    Canada has four distinct seasons, contrary to the meme posted here. Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    They're such assholes...picked the wrong bird to fuck with lol
    lol When your national symbol of freedom is an apex predator... lol lol

Yeah, canada is cold though. Is there an equivalent to South Beach up in Canada? North Beach? Ice Fishing on the north shore in early july when it's a toasty 37 degrees?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    My suggestion would be to compare Canada to the states that are the most demographically and culturally similar. I don't think you'll find much difference between Minnesota and Canada, for example.

More broadly, normalizing for ethnicity would be instructive. The American numbers are dragged down significantly by the significantly lower performance of Latinos and African-Americans relative to whites and Asian-Americans.
    What if they're white hispanics? Or black hispanics?

Good thing Canada is in America?

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    Canada has four distinct seasons, contrary to the meme posted here. Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Construction.
    Ha, they say the same thing here. We have two seasons. Winter and construction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    lol When your national symbol of freedom is an apex predator... lol lol

Yeah, canada is cold though. Is there an equivalent to South Beach up in Canada? North Beach? Ice Fishing on the north shore in early july when it's a toasty 37 degrees?
    I didn't pick it lol...and hey...you have to admit those geese really are asshole birds

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    I didn't pick it lol...and hey...you have to admit those geese really are asshole birds
    Do geese apologize in geesenese after they aggressively peck your shins to shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

So the American Dream stayed in America?