Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    Spain has one of the highest quality health care systems along with installations in Europe.

Crime is higher in France, Ireland and Sweeden than it is in Portugal or Greece.

What the fuck are you smoking?
    Yes, because that's exactly what I'm talking about when I say Southern Europe bleeds money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    But does Hollande realise that there might not even be a EU anymore after the upcoming French elections?
    You do get that even if Le pen gets elected, she needs the votes in the french sentate and house of reps too?
    and if she gets that, she needs to call a referendum (and she doesn't want to call a referendum on the EU, but the Euro) this then needs to pass.
    there is about four or five hoops here.

10+ Year Old Account
    EU trade deals where both parties need each other will find a way to continue to exist, if the brits ever find some competent people at the table to deal with every nation and their individual industries separately. The problem for the UK will be dealing as a small player in a big pond against juggernauts like the US, China and India.

It's a loss for all involved but this was know since this vote wasn't done to get a better financial situation (and those who did vote because of that were simply poorly informed), all the rest that the UK think they might stand to gain from it is to be seen, since things like control on immigration depends on the countries sitting around the north sea and their good will to not let people go through to the UK. If those nations said "fuck the brits" you'll get a scenario like in Hungary.

I really don't see what they stand to gain from it, considering let's say they want to import products to the EU, they'll still have the follow the same rules and standards, probably even face additional tariffs, the same thing i believe Norway has to do and that nation is a whole lot more wealthier in terms of resources than the UK.

Oh well we'll see what happens, if it ever happens got the feeling this is being dragged out as long as possible since those in charge, none of them seem to really want to push it through, what is no wonder since the outcome isn't going to be all good and politics being a short term game it means their career is over and out, why do you think that coward of a farrage crawled back into his hole away from politics when the vote was positive.

Personally, i'm all for a more federal europe, so more power being lifted towards higher up regarding the big things, as that would make things more efficient and faster. So the UK going out is a good thing in that regard since they always acted like the special snowflake and in that regard on a political level it is no loss them being gone.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2017-03-06 at 04:22 PM.

Deleted
    It's very obvious they'd lose their rights as soon as they left. You can keep some rights, but freedom of movement is a requirement and the UK doesn't wish to fill that requirement, they think they can negotiate that, but they are really stupid if they believe anything fruitful will happen.

Not to mention, enjoy your €60 billion bill that you'll receive for contractual commitments signed in 2012-2015.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Eh no, they are still part of the EU and voting members of the parliament, and they did vote the budget in. As I said earlier the most crucial point against the evil EU parliament is this: The UK contingent has voted with the majority on the majority of parliament cases. The people you democratically elect to represent you in the EU parliament largely agree with EU policy. If you have a problem with EU policy don't take it up with Brussels, take it up with your elected representatives. That is of course for the people who actually bothered to go vote for them.
    I'm fully aware our officials are spineless, but there's no good (realistic) choice of representation of our country, they all spew the same rhetoric, but if the Brexit debate is highlighting anything, it's that we made the right choice to leave the EU isn't fit for purpose, they are arguably no better than school children floundering their smoke and mirror policies to keep the rest of the member states in line, I'm all for "hard" brexit and just having nothing to do with them at all because frankly they're quite pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    Yes, because that's exactly what I'm talking about when I say Southern Europe bleeds money.
    I'd go and tell that to the humongous colonies of English, German and other northern tourists getting fucked up and getting free healthcare, destroying public property every fucking summer.

Hey, maybe they should all go get some sun-time to, I don't know, fucking Normandy. Or maybe try Africa? Pretty safe.

Get off your high horse, you're better than no one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Watchman View Post
    But that wasn't agreed by the UK, it was agreed by the other member nations(?)
    No, see the UK is a member of the EU still, and more crucially, definitively was a member years ago, when these budgets were passed.
    You cant magically refuse to pay your part of the bill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    No, see the UK is a member of the EU still, and more crucially, definitively was a member years ago, when these budgets were passed.
    You cant magically refuse to pay your part of the bill.
    That's like paying for a meal that you cancelled before they cooked, they're grasping at straws to try and keep the rest of you in line by being "harsh" on Britain. The EU has outlived it's usefulness as a Trade Agreement and has become a knockoff USA clone.

Deleted
    That's like paying for a meal that you cancelled before they cooked
    Yes, but see the budgetary period ends in 2019 - a few months, after you leave.

they're grasping at straws to try and keep the rest of you in line by being "harsh" on Britain.
    No they are really not.

The EU has outlived it's usefulness as a Trade Agreement and has become a knockoff USA clone.
    It may be hard for you british to understand this but i will try to explain it:
    The EU was Never, NEVER, NEVER just a trade agreement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fully aware our officials are spineless, but there's no good (realistic) choice of representation of our country, they all spew the same rhetoric, but if the Brexit debate is highlighting anything, it's that we made the right choice to leave the EU isn't fit for purpose, they are arguably no better than school children floundering their smoke and mirror policies to keep the rest of the member states in line, I'm all for "hard" brexit and just having nothing to do with them at all because frankly they're quite pathetic.
    uhm, you would be surprised how many programs are even copied by other parts of the world due to how well done and efficient it is. We have hands down the best rights as a consumer globally.

Democracy is a mess and that's why the EU looks like a mess, a lot of members got the power to veto bills what actually makes it undemocratic. As for keeping state members in line the only time that happens is when they only remember their rights and benefits as a member state and believe they have no plights. Keeping countries in line is in both their benefit and that of the EU itself. We'll avoid another financial crisis on the level of banks because we forced member states to to build in safeguards for their banks and the EU tests them and pin points out the weaknesses.

Now i could get in to greater details but if that is your vision of the EU parliament i don't really see the point, but there's a whole lot more happening that is to your benefit and that's where the EU falls short, to explain what they did, the same way political parties do near election time, what they succeeded in and what they failed on. And if you are a UK resident you probably even have a harder time due to all the anti-EU sentiment, what is about the only childish thing going round.

A few reasons; Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, basically the third-world leeches of southern Europe.

Note that I'm of Italian descent but I'm fortunate enough to live in civilised Amsterdam.
    Posting misinformed crap only shows the kind of planet we live in now. Everyone thinks it's ok to say whatever they feel like regardless of the truth of facts.

If we're the third world leeches of Europe, I have a great way to fix that: We put huge taxes on tourists coming from "1st world Europe". That will either fix our money problems for good, or stop tourism from those countries all together. Then you can go enjoy your sunny beaches and quality of life somewhere else buddy.

/rant

It's not Southern Europe VS North Europe. In the south, people work more time per year than people in northern countries (check it, it's readily available on google). The biggest problem is, for example in my country we used to have loads of Industry. But joining EU, they made us stop producing so we could support the central market, i.e., everything is produced centrally, mostly in France and Germany.

The result: Every country joining the EU and the EURO with a "less than super strong" currency and central location ended up losing their infrastructure to produce, and instead became a hub for goods and Services from other countries. This would work better if Europe was a federal state, but it's not. In the end, people look at souther countries like "leeches" because in fact these people are misinformed and just talk garbage because the internet let's them do it.

And I looked at their data findings. It's Gallup surveys. Which is what is expected of a balanced scorecard approach (balanced scorecards rarely use hard data). I'll go for the police statistics. It's true that defnitions of hate crimes may vary among Scotland and England but it's still better than a survey (note that they have gone through every measure I can think of to give the survey data econometric credibility but still, a survey cannot beat hard data)
    Fair enough but it's not a like-for-like comparison. It's not just the definition of hate crimes that can vary, it's crime in general. We have entire classes of offence that don't exist in England and vice versa and standards for applying some of the offences we do share differ drastically.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    I'd go and tell that to the humongous colonies of English, German and other northern tourists getting fucked up and getting free healthcare, destroying public property every fucking summer.

Hey, maybe they should all go get some sun-time to, I don't know, fucking Normandy. Or maybe try Africa? Pretty safe.

Get off your high horse, you're better than no one.
    I'm better than no one? Never said anything about myself.

In my opinion, it isn't. Civilisation has to comply to certain standards, which quite a few southern countries do not do.

Ever seen the difference between a hospital in Italy/Greece/Spain/etc. and one in The Netherlands/Germany/Sweden/etc.? What about the roads? Or average individual debt? Or criminal statistics? Or integration?
    Please name those standards.

Yet another example of someone speaking without having a clue.

The National health system in Portugal is better than many from "1st world countries", for example the UK.

Tell me about the roads? Portugal has the best roads in Europe, and (sadly) the highest amount of motorways per square Km.

Average individual debt is much higher in 1st world countries. Simple math really. People earn more, so they get higher debt.

Criminal statistics, say what?? North or south has nothing to do with crime stats. Check here https://www.numbeo.com/crime/ranking...017&region=150

Integration, care to explain?

Thanks

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurathansal View Post
    Please name those standards.

Yet another example of someone speaking without having a clue.

The National health system in Portugal is better than many from "1st world countries", for example the UK.

Tell me about the roads? Portugal has the best roads in Europe, and (sadly) the highest amount of motorways per square Km.

Average individual debt is much higher in 1st world countries. Simple math really. People earn more, so they get higher debt.

Criminal statistics, say what?? North or south has nothing to do with crime stats. Check here https://www.numbeo.com/crime/ranking...=2017®ion=150

Integration, care to explain?

Thanks
    The person you are quoting is laughable really. Where do north europeans go when they retire? Spain mostly lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post

It may be hard for you british to understand this but i will try to explain it:
    The EU was Never, NEVER, NEVER just a trade agreement.
    You're quite rude about us "dumb British" people as you're clearly trying to infer, the EU is a joke what does the EU actually provide aside from a stable financial market that makes it more important than that?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're quite rude about us "dumb British" people as you're clearly trying to infer, the EU is a joke what does the EU actually provide aside from a stable financial market that makes it more important than that?
    Rude, perhaps but he isn't wrong in terms of you being rather uninformed on the whole matter looking at the your recent statements.

You want something else other than the financial markets it provide and economy? Generally a big thing, but no problem. Here it provides us with this https://echa.europa.eu/regulations/reach , arguably the best consumer protection regarding chemicals, we also got high quality food due to similar programs, where we control the medicine used not just in processed meat but also already in stock, putting us head and shoulders above nations like the US in terms of consumer protection, another big consumer protection thing is our privacy laws and the enforcement of it, if you want to remain in that digital world we can take a look at the EU acting against bundle deals and punishing unfair practices that try to create and maintain monopolies in the software development world.

So a whole lot of things you never was even aware of or heard of and still effects your day to day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Porous borders, trade of people and ideas, an extremely strong buffer against internal wars, a unified front (militarily and economically) against external powers like Russia.

Deleted
    It gives the member countries significant negotiating strength against corporations thus forcing them to accept arduous regulations which afford EU members some of the most comprehensive consumer rights on the planet.
    So "strength in numbers" in laymans terms?

I don't claim to be an expert in European politics, but it seems to act beyond that, propping up member nations (such a Greece) and other people who can't sustainably afford to be part of it, which is nothing against Greece but forcing its other policies such as single currency etc. which messes up more than it helps seems morally wrong?

The EU is just karma for all the colonization that the UK has done. Once they realized the shit show they got into, they got out. Good call on the people of the UK. It sucks having to obey a central power that you have little to no input.

The EU is pretty much the fourth reich. Anyone that doesn't see that is just a complete imbecile.