Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So Cal Freeway Signs "pedestrians don't have armor"

I'll keep that slogan "pedestrians don't have armor" in mind when someone crosses a busy 80 mile an hour freeway. What is the point of this? No one wants to hit a pedestrian but if a pedestrian gets hit it's usually because he is on his phone with earbuds. The slogan should be "cars aren't made of pillows and bubble wrap and don't be an idiot"

Some context: I was driving home for spring break from San Diego to Orange County and there was a sign on the 5 freeway that said this.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-03-05 at 09:38 PM.

Last edited by Crissi; 2017-03-06 at 10:49 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Drivers in socal are insane.

Source: lived in socal, worked on outskirts of LA. Crosswalks were sketchy to cross because ermgard, I needta turn!

As someone who drives frequently, yes pedestrians can be suicidal at times but holy shit some drivers can be fucking insane. I don't blame the Californians for trying to stop them from sending their metal cruise missiles at people in the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Drivers in socal are insane.

Source: lived in socal, worked on outskirts of LA. Crosswalks were sketchy to cross because ermgard, I needta turn!
    Same. Lived in various parts of California from north to south and yes, California drivers are fucking nuts. Though, Denver's are pretty bad too.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I started seeing them as well, kinda made me chuckle but if they don't say that it's something about drunk driving or talking on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    I'll keep that slogan "pedestrians don't have armor" in mind when someone crosses a busy 80 mile an hour freeway. What is the point of this? No one wants to hit a pedestrian but if a pedestrian gets hit it's usually because he is on his phone with earbuds. The slogan should be "cars aren't made of pillows and bubble wrap and don't be an idiot"

Some context: I was driving home for spring break from San Diego to Orange County and there was a sign on the 5 freeway that said this.
    It is on the freeway not because pedestrians are supposed to be crossing but because drivers are usually waiting in miles of traffic and may possibly have the opportunity to read the sign.

Deleted
    Some pedestriants actually do have armor.

Though the car damage would be even worse if those pedestrians all were wearing armor

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    It is on the freeway not because pedestrians are supposed to be crossing but because drivers are usually waiting in miles of traffic and may possibly have the opportunity to read the sign.
    Yeh that's what I thought too but it was pretty humorous reading it on a freeway when there shouldn't be any pedestrians.

Yeh that's what I thought too but it was pretty humorous reading it on a freeway when there shouldn't be any pedestrians.
    One important thing to note is that most of SoCal travel IS freeway. And when you get off the freeway it's wall to wall businesses with zero room for anything else. It's... something. One of the major shocks of moving to SoCal was a "city" that was ~5 hours wide, freeway speed. You want people to know something? Put it on a freeway. Especially when some of the off-ramps are also crosswalks when they meet the major street, as is for some reason the case in quite a few of the ones I used.

The world is full of people with little situational awareness and/or empathy.
    Also, stupid fucks. everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should see how people drive in NY

They get armor on the 4th level, and give you double XP if you hit them.

I noticed that as well on Saturday on the 405 freeway going through LA. Same thing ran through my mind. Why would pedestrians be on the freeway, and if they were body armor wouldn't save them.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Should see how people drive in NY
    NYC is nothing compared to California.

I used to be afraid of driving in NY, but it really isn't that bad aside from cars constantly blocking the box due to tiny 1 way streets criss-crossing major avenues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    NYC is nothing compared to California.

I used to be afraid of driving in NY, but it really isn't that bad aside from cars constantly blocking the box due to tiny 1 way streets criss-crossing major avenues.
    Damn, how bad is it in Cali. The Island (not suffolk due to lack of people) is just hell, plus Queens and Brooklyn are crazy

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The slogan should be "cars aren't made of pillows and bubble wrap and don't be an idiot"
    We have similar stupidity in the UK. 20 MPH zones past schools and speed bumps that mean you have to replace your suspension every few years, all because parents can't be bothered these days to teach their kids not to run into roads without looking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, perhaps they should invest in some armor.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    We have similar stupidity in the UK. 20 MPH zones past schools and speed bumps that mean you have to replace your suspension every few years, all because parents can't be bothered these days to teach their kids not to run into roads without looking.
    Darth Vader taught British kids how to cross the road.

Well, it is a step above "Click it or Ticket" which is completely useless.