Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The interesting thing to me is that i can play vanilla or woltk today and still like the graphics. Any "realistic" graphics from back then look like total garbage right now, wow still looks good.

Probably will still look good in 10 years too.

Art design > graphics it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    ok so I read the topic title never read the topic title but do your sentences get any better?

LOLOL! You get a gold star for sarcasm!

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Jesus Christ, are these the new players we're getting?
    not with that attitude, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    It was based off that engine but that doesn't mean it's using that engine. The WOW engine has gone through dramatic upgrades over the years. They create support for the latest graphic technologies along the way. That's what other people don't understand.

Do people understand that Windows 10 is still based off the old NT core? yet Windows NT is nothing compared to a modern OS. Same comparison. It's very rare that you actually design an engine from scratch today.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd be hard pressed to find a machine that could render that in a city, battleground or raid.

EDIT: Btw, BDO looks horrid. I don't get where people think it looks better. It looks more realistic but the textures make me cry.
    Oh yeah I know that. I just meant it's roots is all. Of course it's changed over 13 years. Be crazy if it hasn't.

Also if people want realistic visuals in WoW then they are playing the wrong game. WoW has always been about the cartoon style appeal.

First what do you have your graphics set to? Far too many of the people bitching the game doesn't look good have their settings down at minimum or close to it and instead of blaming the toaster they play on it is the games fault.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Jesus Christ, are these the new players we're getting?
    Pretty sure this question applies not only to WoW, but gaming in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    That usually works in single-player games, when it comes to MMO there is nearly never a situation you'd have an event with many players around that wouldn't become a massive lag fiesta and top notch graphics are adding to it. It's very unrealistic and inconsiderate to compare MMOs with something like Tomb Raider or Uncharted and complain the graphics aren't as good.

Games that don't have to load that many players together at once like smaller scale pvp games have it a bit better in that department.

Players that already start from asking about refunds? Maybe they should take some responsibility for their actions and purchases. Way to wish to eat the cake and still have the cake.

I wouldn't wish to work in customer's support or billing department where your boss puts you rules "all purchases are final, don't refund or I cut it from your salary" and then be bombarded by tickets from people who don't like to take responsibility for their decisions like "hey Blizz I boosted x class and I don't like it, refund me", "hey Blizz I blindly transfered to x server, and it's dead or 90% opposite faction, refund me", "hey Blizz, I'm going for 2 week vacation, can you pause my sub?" etc. etc. I'm 100% sure customer support has to shift through these, because I see a glimpse on the official customer support forum.

But funny how you decided to cherry pick my comment while leaving the others just fine, like these:

Tbh, to the last sentence, MMOs shrink not because of outdated graphics in my opinion, but because they're designed for a long-time commitment, while there are less and less people who are interested in a long time investment instead of short-burst experiences.
    With as vapid as your comments are I am beginning to question your self-proclaimed "maturity"

I did not cherry pick at all actually.

In fact the quote by Sykol was the original one I quoted, and then you responded to that post... see those little white arrows in the blue box next to the name... you can trace the conversation back if you like.

I can't believe you took the time to explain to ME why an MMO isn't suited to pushing the graphics envelope... I... LIKE... WOW. I understand the game I am playing, I understand its origins and the "cartoony" design choice. I like it.

In regards to your rants about the refunds, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, and haven't ever spent any time in retail. Refunds are less than 10% of transactions, they are simply a cost of doing business. A company only hurts themselves by having ridiculously difficult and stringent return policies. Which BTW Blizzard is NOT one of those. The ease of a refund (if done within 24 hours and 7 days on some purchases) is hella easy. So this rant you go on is... totally out in left field.

Furthermore, if a player wasn't required to make a significant investment early on, you might actually see a higher influx of players. Without having sufficient data to support it, I can completely understand any hesitation or reluctance to play WoW for the first time, or after a significant break. The investment isn't purely monetary. There is also a huge difference between having genuine curiosities about a refund policy, and demanding a refund on a clearly CONSUMED product.

Your assertions about the life of an mmo are unfounded. An mmo, a video game, ANY hobby maintains its existence from NEW BLOOD. That's true for skateboarding, paintball, nerf, larping, chess, crochet.

A positive message about noobs, regardless of hobby.

MMOs die because the cost of entry is higher and higher each and every year, to get to a point where a person could (if skill and time were appropriate) participate in Mythic raiding, starting from ground zero, is significant, the investment both in time and money is a barrier for many players. Case in point I have a coworker (older than me 37 I believe) who played pretty hardcore in WotLK era. He didn't leave the game on bad terms, and keeps up with where the expansions are at. He has expressed interest in starting up again, I sent him a refer a friend request and even offered to help him level since RAF comes with bonus xp if you play. I even have a code for a free base version of the game ~$20 value. The time sink required in addition to the money keep people away.

This whole long term commitment crap is so tired. WoW hasn't been an in it for the long term EQ clone for a long time. Players don't play that way, and blizzard doesn't market that way, and when you force players to choose one game over another... they'll choose the game with more flexibility each and every time. Why limit myself to 1 mmo... when I can play these 4 other mmos and a steady pace. Blizzard recognized this trend early on and changed their development strategy accordingly.

As one final torpedo to your "kids suck and are the bane of WoW" boat. Kids AREN'T playing WoW. You take issue with the same middle-aged man-children as yourself.
    Go poll any group of teens 13-19 and ask them if they know what WoW is and if they are playing it. 13 years ago... lots of kids were playing WoW. They were told THEN by hardcore MMO players coming off of EQ that they were trash, and have treated everyone they have come in contact with in the last 13 years with the same respect. Those "kids" are now in their late 20s and 30s and are still perpetuating this false narrative that kids are ruining the game. The number of players I see that can prove they were here in the beginning is far great today... than it ever was.

But you know whatever keep treating new players like trash... no one new will come up to fill the shoes of players who quit for legitimate reasons. I wonder what the magic number is for Blizzard when they decide to pull the plug on their beloved MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter1982 View Post
    in the starting instance and looks kinda dull and old skool wondered if the graphics get any better or if they stay bout the same as they do in the start.?
    Graphics is subjective. Compared to the latest PS4/XBox games, then no. Overall it's pretty good.

Yes, the environment graphics does get better with the newer expansions. I believe the starting area graphics are mostly Cata revamp graphics which are 3 expansions old now (Cata was released in 2010). If you start in Monk area, you'd notice better graphics, if you start in DH area, that is the latest graphics.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    You have to admit though that it would be pretty badass if WoW looked like this:
    It can look gritty and serious and HD without changing the art style and making it "realistic"...
    I don't want to imagine what the Tauren would look like in a "realistic" setting.

A bigger issue is that it's been almost 13 years and chest armor still looks like it's been painted onto the character...

People actually care about graphics in this day and age where they cancel shows like Young Justice yet let abominations like Teen Titans Go scream across our tv screens?
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    This whole long term commitment crap is so tired. WoW hasn't been an in it for the long term EQ clone for a long time. Players don't play that way, and blizzard doesn't market that way, and when you force players to choose one game over another... they'll choose the game with more flexibility each and every time. Why limit myself to 1 mmo... when I can play these 4 other mmos and a steady pace. Blizzard recognized this trend early on and changed their development strategy accordingly.
    You mean like in Legion where if you didn't start at the start of expansion, you're royally screwed, unless you don't plan to touch any serious pve or pvp (because then it doesn't matter)?

The only good moments to pick the game is when new expansion launches, and maybe when the last-in-expansion major patch hits with big catch-up mechanisms.

It isn't just problem in WOW, it's a problem with any grind-based MMOs where the developers have to decide to either piss off their long standing players by gradually nullifying their advantage from the massive grind they have over anyone else, or piss off new / returning players immediately facing them with huge grind from behind.

Games like MOBAs or shooters operate on a different basis, so often dodge this problem.

But anyway would be cooler if you weren't the person to attack me first, while I didn't attack you in my first post personally at all, and then lower yourself to using meme words like "manchild" which is in the same box as "neckbeard" or "cuck" which is just a fleeting fashion, people say these words because it supposedly makes them leet if they call the opponent such names.

I might have personal beef with the f2p generation (whatever the real age of the player) that wants everything now, free and shiny, I didn't have anything against you in personal until you started waving your "superior experience" and meme words.

And if anything kills WOW it's not me (lol it would be delusional to believe a single player could have such powers) but aimless decision making from Blizzard, for example what they did with Legion is a huge step back from previous expansions where it wasn't as bad to pick the expansion mid way and the amount of investments you had to put into your character weren't as crucial yet as long counting in both time /played and time irl elapsed.

Blizzard also upturned the whole reward system this expansion to supposedly please casuals, but I doubt that's what true casuals wished for. I don't know true casuals who asked to get legendaries from daily quests. Most of them wanted small, achievable rewards they can work towards reliably in limited time frames and often outside of group content.

Current wow end game is also more designed towards rapid burn out rather than slow & steady commitment towards a goal.

There is also the problem with the whole "you need to level up in MMORPG", yes, they give 1 free boost if you buy the expansion box, and yes, they implemented "class trials" for a couple of dps specs, but there's probably still work to be done in this area as with every expansion the distance from start to "where current players are" gets longer and genuine new players have problems 1) picking a class 2) getting bored in low level content where there is no one bar few loom-decked zergers.

That's also not inherent to WOW, many MMORPGs face this issue, at launch when the game is new everyone levels together, zones are new and cool, everything is exciting, few months later people start asking "how do I level the fastest so I can be where my friends are?" And it's usually some boring shit, I remember GW2 and their train around human starting zone events or train in the edge of the mists... Or SWTOR where outside of some special events most efficient way was to spam "tactical flashpoints" that was basically like MOP scenarios, role-agnostic instances the only problem was they were repurposed dungeons so actually going in there with 4 dps no tank no healer was a pain.

But yeah, current WOW endgame is not exactly in a good state for players who want to hop in hop out, pvp strength is tied to artifact progression and ilvl, gone are the times where you could deck yourself in full pvp gear in 1-2 weeks and play casually. New addition, mythic+ is also very pug unfriendly, pugs are elitist and often still fail with super elevated entry requirements, so generally your "success" depends on having a stable group of friends that you can regularly group with, that's a bit more lenient than having a full raid group, but it's still something you have to somewhat commit to.

And obviously it's a bummer when you gather a group to do this on regular basis and then someone just bails out because "I'm bored of wow, cya". Or doesn't even bother informing you, just vanishes. WOW is still a commitment game and unless it undergoes major redesign (and not sure it ever will because that could break the game, as it would stop being what people expect it to be), it will constantly be a struggle to find enough like minded players. Blizzard tried multitude of approaches to get the "cyclical" playerbase of today to stay, all these attempts failed, and many are just annoying to deal with by the non-cyclical playerbase.

Maybe Blizzard should go back to their roots and try to make a game that is simply fun to play and let people come and go as they wish instead of constantly trying to invent carrots and sticks for the cyclical unsubbers.
    Last edited by Marrilaife; 2017-03-06 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter1982 View Post
    faster cast time for wizards I forget what the race is I believe its blue side and one the abilities are faster casting times

- - - Updated - - -

echo isiles , btw does wow do money back if you buy the expansion then don't like it?
    Trolls.

The Echo Isles and that entire continent are one of the oldest parts of the game (pre-2004, although small sections are slightly newer/redone). Graphics get progressively better as you move into each subsequent expansion's zones.

Wow is still an old game though and even the newest areas are probably years behind what a modern game could display.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean like in Legion where if you didn't start at the start of expansion, you're royally screwed, unless you don't plan to touch any serious pve or pvp (because then it doesn't matter)?

The only good moments to pick the game is when new expansion launches, and maybe when the last-in-expansion major patch hits with big catch-up mechanisms.

It isn't just problem in WOW, it's a problem with any grind-based MMOs where the developers have to decide to either piss off their long standing players by gradually nullifying their advantage from the massive grind they have over anyone else, or piss off new / returning players immediately facing them with huge grind from behind.

Games like MOBAs or shooters operate on a different basis, so often dodge this problem.

But anyway would be cooler if you weren't the person to attack me first, while I didn't attack you in my first post personally at all, and then lower yourself to using meme words like "manchild" which is in the same box as "neckbeard" or "cuck" which is just a fleeting fashion, people say these words because it supposedly makes them leet if they call the opponent such names.

I might have personal beef with the f2p generation (whatever the real age of the player) that wants everything now, free and shiny, I didn't have anything against you in personal until you started waving your "superior experience" and meme words.

And if anything kills WOW it's not me (lol it would be delusional to believe a single player could have such powers) but aimless decision making from Blizzard, for example what they did with Legion is a huge step back from previous expansions where it wasn't as bad to pick the expansion mid way and the amount of investments you had to put into your character weren't as crucial yet as long counting in both time /played and time irl elapsed.

Blizzard also upturned the whole reward system this expansion to supposedly please casuals, but I doubt that's what true casuals wished for. I don't know true casuals who asked to get legendaries from daily quests. Most of them wanted small, achievable rewards they can work towards reliably in limited time frames and often outside of group content.

Current wow end game is also more designed towards rapid burn out rather than slow & steady commitment towards a goal.

There is also the problem with the whole "you need to level up in MMORPG", yes, they give 1 free boost if you buy the expansion box, and yes, they implemented "class trials" for a couple of dps specs, but there's probably still work to be done in this area as with every expansion the distance from start to "where current players are" gets longer and genuine new players have problems 1) picking a class 2) getting bored in low level content where there is no one bar few loom-decked zergers.

That's also not inherent to WOW, many MMORPGs face this issue, at launch when the game is new everyone levels together, zones are new and cool, everything is exciting, few months later people start asking "how do I level the fastest so I can be where my friends are?" And it's usually some boring shit, I remember GW2 and their train around human starting zone events or train in the edge of the mists... Or SWTOR where outside of some special events most efficient way was to spam "tactical flashpoints" that was basically like MOP scenarios, role-agnostic instances the only problem was they were repurposed dungeons so actually going in there with 4 dps no tank no healer was a pain.

But yeah, current WOW endgame is not exactly in a good state for players who want to hop in hop out, pvp strength is tied to artifact progression and ilvl, gone are the times where you could deck yourself in full pvp gear in 1-2 weeks and play casually. New addition, mythic+ is also very pug unfriendly, pugs are elitist and often still fail with super elevated entry requirements, so generally your "success" depends on having a stable group of friends that you can regularly group with, that's a bit more lenient than having a full raid group, but it's still something you have to somewhat commit to.

And obviously it's a bummer when you gather a group to do this on regular basis and then someone just bails out because "I'm bored of wow, cya". Or doesn't even bother informing you, just vanishes. WOW is still a commitment game and unless it undergoes major redesign (and not sure it ever will because that could break the game, as it would stop being what people expect it to be), it will constantly be a struggle to find enough like minded players. Blizzard tried multitude of approaches to get the "cyclical" playerbase of today to stay, all these attempts failed, and many are just annoying to deal with by the non-cyclical playerbase.

Maybe Blizzard should go back to their roots and try to make a game that is simply fun to play and let people come and go as they wish instead of constantly trying to invent carrots and sticks for the cyclical unsubbers.
    TL;DR (I will later I promise)

Not sure about manchild memes... first time I heard Manchild was the 2nd transformers movie? Megan Fox's character says something about her manchild father? My wife and in-laws are constantly referring to me as a manchild. Don't be too offended.

Deleted
    ok so i read thread never read but do trolling get any better

PS: just sayin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    It was based off that engine but that doesn't mean it's using that engine. The WOW engine has gone through dramatic upgrades over the years. They create support for the latest graphic technologies along the way. That's what other people don't understand.

Do people understand that Windows 10 is still based off the old NT core? yet Windows NT is nothing compared to a modern OS. Same comparison. It's very rare that you actually design an engine from scratch today.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd be hard pressed to find a machine that could render that in a city, battleground or raid.

EDIT: Btw, BDO looks horrid. I don't get where people think it looks better. It looks more realistic but the textures make me cry.
    Do you mean Black Desert Online? All I know is that it's an action MMO with a detailed character creator. Never looked into it because, who am I kidding, I'm not going to play an asian MMO.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

The cartoony feel of the graphics is part of the charm......Like Zelda.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only serious PvE is Mythic raiding, and that's done by less than 3% of the playerbase. That other 97%? If they didn't start at the start of the expansion they're far from screwed. And if you're in a Mythic raiding guild you can be caught up in a month's time with help from your guild. If you don't have AK25 and you have a guild help you, you can definitely get caught up before the next tier.