Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    there is no discrimination argument. less woman apply for higher paying but shitter jobs. garbage man plumbers ect. less woman go into higher paying fields by there own choice. there is no discrimination as there is no pay gap, only the choices people are willing to make for higher paying jobs.
    There are various theories explaining that, but the most common one goes as the following:
    - The usual discriminator is pregnacy and children. This makes women less attached to their work, which then prompts caution from their employers to assign them to higher paying positions that require more investment.

And even then as stated you can add controls to that.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    There are various theories explaining that, but the most common one goes as the following:
    - The usual discriminator is pregnacy and children. This makes women less attached to their work, which then prompts caution from their employers to assign them to higher paying positions that require more investment.

I think I see where the confusion is. You're using the word "discrimination" as it actually is.

I think people are confusing it with the negative connotation e.g just cuz you're a woman.

Which is entirely reasonable. Hiring someone that's going to have a costly absence when an equivalent candidate that is much less likely to would be a pretty foolish thing to do. I know I'm supposed to be wildly enthusiastic about telling men that they can just pick up the slack at work, but somehow there's not a lot of bloom on that rose for me. If taking a year off from work costs someone money in the long run, I will not lose sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I don't care what you are referring to; the forum is a great representation of "in general" due to the varying age ranged, international user base, etc etc. But you know, I've also seen the same arguments used in college course, in person with friends and coworkers, in other forms of social media... sorry pal, it hasn't "always been about "discriminatory hiring practices." Thats why I'm calling it an alternative fact.
    Well, then I guess I was living in an alternative reality since the only time I've been hearing the 70-something argument is when it's trotted out by pseudo intelectuals like Carlgon, Amazing Atheist, Anita Sarkeesan and the like.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    What part of identical resumes did you not understand?
    what part of just because your resumes is the same doesn't mean people will preserve the same. difference names look speech patterns ect. unless theses studies are just a resume and nothing else there are a shit ton of factors that could effect the outcome and if they are resume only then they are worthless to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    The only studies that did what you're claiming DID NOT account for NEGOTIATION of salary variables. When you remove this variable, wages were almost entirely equal.
    The point is to show the gap does exist if it did not then the offering would be similar if not identical, humans are biased in nature to say it doesn't exist means you think everyone treats everyone equally which is patently false.

Well, then I guess I was living in an alternative reality since the only time I've been hearing the 70-something argument is when it's trotted out by pseudo intelectuals like Carlgon, Amazing Atheist, Anita Sarkeesan and the like.
    Yup, and thats not to say no one EVER mentioned hiring discrimination, but lets stop pretending it was anything but a small minority of arguments used. Most of the time its just 77% on the dollar! bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    what part of just because your resumes is the same doesn't mean people will preserve the same. difference names look speech patterns ect. unless theses studies are just a resume and nothing else there are a shit ton of factors that could effect the outcome and if they are resume only then they are worthless to begin with.
    I hope you realize you've just described gender discrimination.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Several studies have been done with men and women in the same fields, there even been test using identical resumes to see the difference in salary offerings. Of course if you don't want to believe it then that it is up to you.
    You do realize that most firms don't offer salaries after seeing a good resume, and things like interviews determine how much you're offered right?

The point is to show the gap does exist if it did not then the offering would be similar if not identical, humans are biased in nature to say it doesn't exist means you think everyone treats everyone equally which is patently false.
    Why bring it up though? If its just boiled down to salary negotiations, how is that really a bad thing? Women are less likely to negotiate a better salary... so what? Thats not sexism.

The initial offers ARE similar. Read the studies. Like, the entire things instead of just their 'findings'. Read the variables they controlled for and read the actual data.

When low balled, which is common in an initial offering, men and women receive effectively the same offer. Men counter higher, and therefore end up with a higher final. (Men: Initial offer 50, counter 60, end up with 55. Women: Initial offer 50, Counter 55, end up with 52.5) And many times, women do not even counter offer (Much less frequently than men... On top of lower counters).
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have never understood the whole wage gap argument. Let's look at some hard truths, in a lot of industries, particularly STEM careers, men have dominated the landscape for a long time. In trades, men are more capable at their jobs because they are physically stronger. That isn't to say that women are incapable, just in a lot of cases and I see it with the female apprentices my company employs, it's that they don't have the physical ability that men do and often need assistance in doing their jobs. Not all are like that, but some are. How is it discrimination to be physically more capable at your job than a woman? I don't get how anyone can live with that kind of logic, it's terribly flawed. If you want to make true comparisons about wage differences, all valued have to be considered including time served, work ethic, ability to work alone without need for support.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2017-03-07 at 04:10 AM.

How about this fuckin' guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    He's a pseudo-intellectual I guess?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I hope you realize you've just described gender discrimination.
    i hope you realize that by that merit every fucking body is discriminated by every fucking thing. i like the name jone more then jim lets hire jone. that guys dressed better then the other guy lets hire him. shes has better hair then the only girl lets hire her. if thats the merit for gender discrimination then its a worthless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Why bring it up though? If its just boiled down to salary negotiations, how is that really a bad thing? Women are less likely to negotiate a better salary... so what? Thats not sexism.
    If you're using standards of negotiation that result in women being disadvantaged at such, that's pretty much the definition of sexism.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you're using standards of negotiation that result in women being disadvantaged at such, that's pretty much the definition of sexism.
    Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

So because women tend to not be as aggressive in negotiations, and accept lower numbers during them, the employer is being sexist?

You don't understand what sexism is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Everytime I see a politician mention the 77% number I always assume they are playing to a particular demographic. Also I did not have much respect for Obama to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    So because women tend to not be as aggressive in negotiations, and accept lower numbers during them, the employer is being sexist?

You don't understand what sexism is.
    What you've just described is a predatory employment strategy to take advantage of women.

So yes. Sexism.