Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    Don't quit playing, it's silly.

Just don't play too much which becomes unhealthy, it becomes unhealthy when it ruins your education (failing an important exam) or your relationship, or your job. Real life first.

Parents are there to make sure their children are doing fine in those areas. If not, they are not doing what they should. Not saying it's easy.

I think it depends of persons. Some can be more addicted than others. Worse cases might seek family or professional help, but to lower the hours of play, not to quit it.

Having 6 hours of free time a day and playing 5-6 hours a day is not unhealthy.
    If you enjoy it (games or otherwise) put it before things you don't enjoy.

No one is on there deathbed wishing they worked longer amd harder hours instead of doing things they actually enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://www.thestar.com/news/insight...eens-life.html

Stumbled across this.

Really eye opening stuff. Parenting ain't what it used to be. Parents need to be aware of the changing threats that face their children and be ready to act. How would you deal with a situation like this?
    Do what any sane parent would do. Take away the goddamn power cords and only give them out for a limited time as reward for doing good in school, chores, etc. It's the parents' fault for using the PC as a baby sitting tool.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -MDH- View Post
    Shit parents for letting the kid get hooked.
    This has nothing to do with Parents..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Do what any sane parent would do. Take away the goddamn power cords and only give them out for a limited time as reward for doing good in school, chores, etc. It's the parents' fault for using the PC as a baby sitting tool.
    It's not a way to respect your children and video games. Talk to your children and inspire him, make him understand the meaning of life and why he should value his education. Take away the power cords AFTER if he continues and explain why you're doing it. Children are our future, they must be treated as intelligent individuals, not as stupid kids.

Deleted
    Ain't much to discuss here. Humans have a need for addictive distractions from real life (games and other drugs) so they consume them. Most of them find a way to have their real lives keep working along with their consumptions. a few don't and fuck up. Cam's story is no difference from the one of a weed head who smokes pot all day and screws up his life (i am a weedhead as well but i dont screw up btw ). You cannot protect people from theirselves.

16 hours??? boo hoo that's how long I waited in line just to get into a highkeep hold basement group in Evercrack back in the day (before WOW even existed).
    hell if I get more than a hour or two to play now a game I'm doing good.

Deleted

Stumbled across this.

Really eye opening stuff. Parenting ain't what it used to be. Parents need to be aware of the changing threats that face their children and be ready to act. How would you deal with a situation like this?

Eye-opening to nobody.
    Addiction is bad for you, more at 11.

It's funny seeing all the responses in here from addicted gamers saying it's no big deal. It is a big deal and people need to stop ignoring it. Children spend too much time in front of electronics and it's the parents' responsibility to control that. Don't try and say its' the child's job to regulate themselves...children aren't emotionally developed enough to handle that responsibility; I doubt some of the people posting in this thread are responsible enough to reasonably monitor the amount of time the spend "online".

Deleted
    Title would be better if : "Bad parenting letting teen 16-hours long doing what he wanted almost ruined his life"

Quote Originally Posted by Lagavulin View Post
    It's funny seeing all the responses in here from addicted gamers saying it's no big deal. It is a big deal and people need to stop ignoring it. Children spend too much time in front of electronics and it's the parents' responsibility to control that. Don't try and say its' the child's job to regulate themselves...children aren't emotionally developed enough to handle that responsibility; I doubt some of the people posting in this thread are responsible enough to reasonably monitor the amount of time the spend "online".
    If they want to spend X hours online a day, and they still get the rest of their stuff in order, who are you to object?

Deleted
    despite being researched for over 2 decades now, game addiction still hasn't received an official classification as a mental illness. the best it's managed to do is get into a controversial "were researching this" section of DSM due to lobbyist.

why is it not classified as a illness? because excessive gaming usually is a symptom of another problem, not the problem itself.

Even the dude who ran a game addiction clinic admittedly publicly he treated for social issues, not addiction.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-03-07 at 11:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Being a filthy casual would probably ruin my life too.

Luckily we're getting to a point now where addiction is being taken seriously as a mental illness. Rather than blaming the medium an addict uses as an outlet, efforts are made to try and curb certain dangerous behaviors.

Some people are just prone to addiction, take away the video games and they'll probably find something else if not treated properly.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was addicted to Diablo 2 when I was a kid, I would starve myself and play until my vision went to shit. I remember one session I played so long I felt like I was on acid from staring at the screen for that amount of time.

I believe it's a problem for kids but when you grow up and gain responsibilities you simply can't do that anymore lol maybe if my parents were around to guide me that wouldn't have happened. Then again, I'd probably be doing drugs instead at that age. I was one of those kids that made fun of 'nerds' until I became one with D2. And yeah before games I thought I was so cool getting high & drinking 24/7, stealing shit from stores, etc.

In a way games kinda saved me imo and they have helped me quit things far worse later in life.

In the end it all comes down to the parenting 100% like with most things, no one should be addicted to games in the first place, they let that happen to their son just like mine did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -MDH- View Post
    Shit parents for letting the kid get hooked.
    This
    10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    When i was at uni i had 4+ days a week free for 3 years and was always ok top of my work. I used to easily play 16 hours a day of wow and other games. Then i got a job and i would be lucky to play 2 hours a month now if at all.

I wasn't addicted just bored and filling time. I went from playing 6-8 hours and night to not at all in a week and haven't had the urge to play again and nothing looks particularly interesting.
    Right. 1 day of uni. Doing what? 2 courses? That's not the norm.

Doesn't seem like it would be difficult to track your kids video game time and keep it under control.

Don't allow kid to play video games before their responsibilities are taken care of such as homework and house chores. If your kid has a habit of lying about completed homework, ask your kid to show you their completed homework. If they lie about what their assignments are, ask their teacher for a list of assignments. Be sure to keep track of when their report cards come out to make sure they're doing well.

Limit their time playing video games. 1-2 hours a day is plenty. Maybe give them a little more on the weekends.

If they absolutely refuse to listen to you, show them that you're physically capable of forcing them to obey. Pull the plug on their console/PC. They can scream and cry all they want, but you're the boss. Never EVER allow them to get away with directly disobeying you. I believe it's important to show that you're the boss because you're physically stronger than them at a young age. I'm not talking about beating them, but if you have to hold them down to keep them from hitting you while they're having a tantrum then so be it. A little pop on the wrist can be a good thing when they're young. Just don't overdo it and try using positive reinforcement whenever possible. But they need to learn to respect you at a young age. They are your child before they are your friend. Remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Who would've thought that doing things obsessively could be unhealthy?
    ^--This

/Thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Stumbled across this.

People with addictive personalities will trade one addiction for another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kid with addictive personality and no self discipline gets addicted to something addictive. Shocker. At least it wasn't meth or something worse.

You know after reading this. The kid should be grateful that of all things to get hooked on video games has got to be one of the least destructive things to be addicted to. Video Gaming for the most part is cheap and does not harm anyone else (mostly) other than yourself. With gambling you could be in mounds of debt possibly forever fucked for the rest of your life. With drugs you could have cause some serious internal damage not to mention a serious money issue for which you would have probably resorted to criminality and stealing. Same thing goes with Alcoholism.

Normally in these fringe cases with any serious addiction overdose is usually the end result and the person dies or something equally tragic. With video games he was able to internally turn things around.