Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Judging by the posts here that speak of abortion haven't looked at the actual budget for planned parenthood?

Less than 50% of their funds come from the government, and less than 4% of their total expenses are for abortions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Standsinfire View Post
    Me: whyumad* fixed. Seriously though, it's only because they rapin' eveerbody in here and I don't want you to be snatched out yo' windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by noepeen View Post
    If that were my dog, I'd Hulk Smash the fuck out of that raccoon.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

How could this not be unconstitutional? Obamacare got around it by calling the fees taxes. But this is the government saying a private company has to charge 30% more to a private citizen. And that extra 30% goes to what, more profit for the insurance company. Even worse, this actively disincentives a young, healthy person like myself from getting health insurance. If I somehow come down with cancer in 2 years that will cost 300k+ to treat, the difference between a $400 and a $520 monthly premium isn't going to change my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    No its not. Welfare is getting free shit from the government.

Social Security is a mandated retirement plan that we are forced to pay into, much like a 401k or IRA account. Is a 401k welfare? Most people would opt out of social security and manage their own retirement if the damn government didnt force them to partake. I could get much better returns if I managed my own money. Same goes for Medicare.
    Yeah, it's welfare. Everyone pays into all the welfare programs, and then some people draw out of them. A 401k is not welfare, because it is not mandatory. Social Security is mandatory. It's one group of people supporting another group of people. That sounds like welfare to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes View Post
    Judging by the posts here that speak of abortion haven't looked at the actual budget for planned parenthood?

Less than 50% of their funds come from the government, and less than 4% of their total expenses are for abortions.
    Regardless if they never spent a cent on abortions, no private organization should be given funding/free money from the government. They can fund themselves or go out of business. Should the government be funding McDonalds? Walgreens? Starbucks? Comcast?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    SS is not welfare, its a shit retirement plan developed for assholes who can't manage their own money. I would love to opp out of SS and use MY money in the way I want for my own retirement plan, I would get a way better return on investment.

Also the reason it has money issues, because despite the original plan was to leave it alone and not borrow from it, fucking government turned it into another tax and couldn't keep their hands out of it. long.
    If one group of people are forced to take care of another group of people, it's welfare. Even with the treasury notes, which comprise the entirety of the SS Trust Fund, it will still be completely insolvent by the end of 2033. That will go against our debt, because we will have to pay those people off. However, even through all of that, the unfunded liabilities total in the tens of trillions of dollars. Someone is going to have to pay for that, and it sure as shit isn't the old people who are taking money out. It's quite literally stealing money from people who are in diapers, that they haven't even had a chance to earn. yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless if they never spent a cent on abortions, no private organization should be given funding/free money from the government.
    You do know it's not free money if they are providing services, right? Or should the government also stop "giving" money to the people who repair bridges and build tanks?

Regardless if they never spent a cent on abortions, no private organization should be given funding/free money from the government. They can fund themselves or go out of business. Should the government be funding McDonalds? Walgreens? Starbucks? Comcast?
    Tax breaks included?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

"They're not entitlements if they're my entitlements."

- - - Updated - - -

This is a fucking gem.

Because they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are lots of people wanting to adopt and there is always a shortage of babies.
    Yeah, no. There is no shortage. There isn't enough people wanting to adopt babies, children, kids, and teens. Hundreds of thousands of kids are in the system right now, including many infants.

If you hear or see of shortages it is because people only want white children, or bi-racial/african american (also known as AA). In many places in the US there is a dearth of adoptive families. Also keep in mind that until recently a lot of states forbid same-sex couples or purposely made it very difficult for them to adopt, making it seem like it was longer or that there were no infants available. Location makes a big difference; you're not going to find a lot of infants in, say, Moscow, Ohio, population 185.

since a large percentge of poor people are poor due to lack of intelligence, poor choices, lack of financial discipline, and/or drug/alcohol/gambling addictions.
    This is literally, utterly pure bullshit in every form, and an example of the uneducated ignorance that Republicans depend on when proposing legislation. It's so easy for people to cheer when they really believe that poor people are all lazy, stupid, or addicted to drugs.

Most people are poor because of, one; a lack of opportunities afforded to them due to circumstances, family, race, religion, creed, immigration, two; by unforeseen circumstances (major illness, death, injury), three; industry upheaval, and finally, at the end, drugs/addiction. At the end.

Ever hear of corporate tax breaks and subsidies? Guess not.

Your right. So along with defunding planned parenthood, I want to see the churches fully taxed. No more tax breaks, no more incentives. If this causes a lot of churches to have to shut their doors, oh well, they should have funded them selves better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resiak1066 View Post
    Your right. So along with defunding planned parenthood, I want to see the churches fully taxed. No more tax breaks, no more incentives. If this causes a lot of churches to have to shut their doors, oh well, they should have funded them selves better.
    No. I've said it before, never. That gives religion a voice in the government and it already has too much of one as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No. I've said it before, never. That gives religion a voice in the government and it already has too much of one as it is.
    Unfortunately it appears a large portion of this country WANTS religion to have a voice in government.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by tuesday the paladin View Post
    How could this not be unconstitutional? Obamacare got around it by calling the fees taxes. But this is the government saying a private company has to charge 30% more to a private citizen.
    I don't believe it says they must charge 30%. I believe it says they may charge up to a 30% premium for those who have lapsed in coverage. It's basically a cap on how much more they can charge, rather than the ACA which I believe didn't allow any extra charge from the insurance company (but you paid a penalty to the government).

The idea is that if you're not covered, you're likely to have more issues when you enter the system, and thus be more expensive to insure, than somebody who had remained covered the whole time.

Even worse, this actively disincentives a young, healthy person like myself from getting health insurance. If I somehow come down with cancer in 2 years that will cost 300k+ to treat, the difference between a $400 and a $520 monthly premium isn't going to change my decision.
    Absolutely correct.

Indeed, while many people will have coverage gaps that are outside of their control (losing their job, unexpected expenses, etc) many will also use the opportunity to simply not have coverage until they're diagnosed with something and then jump back on the insurance train. Since the insurance companies can't ban you for pre-existing conditions, and there is no ongoing penalty for not having insurance, it's not a bad idea for younger, healthier people.

It's not unconstitutional, it's just stupid.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

10+ Year Old Account
    "Restoring Free market" Was it ever gone lol?

Oh well i guess if the US keeps overpaying for their meds the rest of the modern world can benefit from their nations negotiating even better prices as they have been for the last decades.

At one point it's a shame for others that need it, on the other if the US remains pharma biggest piggybank they can easily exploit, all the better for Europe at the end of the day.

sadly as a GOP supporter the free market only works if the people in charge of the companies are not greedy asshats, which is not the case currently. I'm generally against single payer type systems cause personally i dont feel my own health should ever be on the tax payers beyond what I earned via serving time in service. Which leads to me point of i'd have less issues if agencies like FEMA, redcross etc... had a program for young adults to join for 2-4 years that would earn them health care and educational benefits akin to the DoD for vets. basically a system of you give something to your country it gives back to you later.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    TrumpCare: Pay or Pray, I don't Care ..... because I am "only" twitter president

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    sadly as a GOP supporter the free market only works if the people in charge of the companies are not greedy asshats, which is not the case currently. I'm generally against single payer type systems cause personally i dont feel my own health should ever be on the tax payers beyond what I earned via serving time in service. Which leads to me point of i'd have less issues if agencies like FEMA, redcross etc... had a program for young adults to join for 2-4 years that would earn them health care and educational benefits akin to the DoD for vets. basically a system of you give something to your country it gives back to you later.
    It's nice to see a conservative acknowledging that the system is broken because of corporate greed.

But one of the highest tenets of a government is to look out for the health and well being of it's citizens. Leaving the health care industry up to the free market only allows for greed to run it. It's one of the biggest things I think the government should be controlling. A Healthy population is a happy and productive population.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I never said 401k or IRA were mandatory. I said Social Security is mandatory, and I then said we should be able to opt out of it and manage our own money but we do not have that option because the government thinks we re all stupid and cant mange our own money. Ive paid into social security for 30 years now. Id love to have all that money I wasted throwing it into social security (well over $100k that Ill never see again), and throw it into a 401k or mutual funds
    No, it's not because the government thinks we're all stupid. It's because people are paying into the system so that people who are retired can get paid. Working people pay for the retired. When we retire, the people still working will be paying for our SS payments. Allowing people to opt out yields not enough people paying in to pay for those taking money out now.

The Social Security Act was signed by FDR on 8/14/35. Taxes were collected for the first time in January 1937 and the first one-time, lump-sum payments were made that same month. Regular ongoing monthly benefits started in January 1940.
    From SSA.gov

The issue lies in the fact that the people who received the first checks didn't pay into the system. They got free retirement money paid for by those still paying taxes.

I never said 401k or IRA were mandatory. I said Social Security is mandatory, and I then said we should be able to opt out of it and manage our own money but we do not have that option because the government thinks we re all stupid and cant mange our own money. Ive paid into social security for 30 years now. Id love to have all that money I wasted throwing it into social security (well over $100k that Ill never see again), and throw it into a 401k or mutual funds
    Ok, so let's go with that. Let's say you are 30 and get into an accident and are completely disabled, can't work. The tiny amount you've saved for retirement at this point is nowhere near enough to support you the rest of your life. You've opted out of Social Security, so you can't get disability. Now you pretty much are on welfare as soon as you burn through all your assets.

Or you're already retired at 70. You have saved up enough to make a comfortable, but not extravagant, retirement for yourself. Then some unforeseeable large expense comes up that makes a significant dent in your savings. Now what? You go back to work, or run out of money. If your health isn't great going back to work might not even be an option.

The point is that not everything can be anticipated. Social Security acts as a security blanket, to ensure that no one gets totally screwed by unforeseen circumstances. Sure it is ALSO to ensure people can't screw themselves through stupidity but my point is there's ways to get screwed that even fiscally responsible people can't plan for. Would you likely be better off opting out? Probably, but if something happens you now have no fallback.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    SS is not welfare, its a shit retirement plan developed for assholes who can't manage their own money. I would love to opp out of SS and use MY money in the way I want for my own retirement plan, I would get a way better return on investment.

Also the reason it has money issues, because despite the original plan was to leave it alone and not borrow from it, fucking government turned it into another tax and couldn't keep their hands out of it. long.
    SS was designed in a way to keep elderly people out of poverty. Over time it has accomplished that goal well and done pretty much exactly what it was intended for. Also it helps protect against sudden down turns at bad times.