Page 48 of 95 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Haven't seen this yet, from all the pages of talking, but the disabling SMT performance increase is due to Windows scheduling bug, which at times uses the wrong cache stack, which leads to heavy performance loss. This is ofc only a problem on Windows atm, because Microsoft for some reason is waiting for a new build to push the Ryzen drivers through.
    Precisely, and it doesn't really affect other benchmarks because you're almost never running things in different threads that affect each other. You basically divide the task and put it to work. On a game though, since there'll be a lot of information going on between different threads scheduling it in a way that you end up having to retrieve things back from RAM (moving things from different CCXs) is a relatively huge penalty (since RAM is much, much slower than any of the internal caches). Whether fixing it will make a huge difference or not is something that we don't know until it's fixed.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2017-03-06 at 11:18 PM.

If you could, i would honestly return the 1700x for a 1700. At this moment there is nothing that shows an advantage to the x chips, in fact they have all the negatives and are more expensive.

Run much hotter
    Use more electricity under load
    Cost more

To boot the 1700 comes with a nice cooler that actually can sustain a mild overclock.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Finally got my Tomahawk board today - I lost patience waiting for X370 only for the available date to be pushed back again.

Had a bit of a panic first time trying to boot as it sat there with GPU debug LED illuminated for about 10 minutes. Turns out it was configuring in the background, and the pre-POST stuff is actually pretty long (20+ seconds). Windows started around 15 minutes after I first powered it on..
    I have the same board coming tomorrow. So your saying after you get it powered up it takes 10 minutes and another 5 for Windows to start to install? Actually we will have the same build minus the memory, I got the Gskill Fortis 2666.

omgahd

O wait, you have a nvidia card, mines a RX480 lol AMD shit should boot right up lol.

J/K

aaaand dont listen to Fascinate, hes just mad cause we will have the X....muhahahahahaha
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-03-08 at 02:05 AM.

Welp started ordering parts:

Ram: (98.99 with promo code)
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231941

GPU:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814487330

I had an evga 1060 3gb in my pcppartpicker list decided to go on neweggs actual site, low and behold a refurb 6gb model for the same price lol. Now i have the option to go 1440p or 1080 144hz.

@moremana, actually microcenter just lowered price of 1700x to 349.00....im still buying the 1700. I just really enjoy low load temps, in summer shit gets hot lol. Plus stock cooler, if it does trick will save me ~60 bucks ish.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-03-08 at 02:19 AM.

No need to reinstall Windows, it's just that it sat there with the screen completely black but receiving signal for about 10-15 minutes. I think it was configuring in the background. After that, it takes a few more minutes to get into Windows itself.

It does take a minute or so for each boot after that, but I'm sure BIOS updates will fix that.

And I wouldn't. So... no. I honestly don't understand why such a suggestion would ever be made - "Umm, hi Mr Retailer, I want to return this CPU because it has an X in the name and because it's early days and someone on a forum said I should". I invested in a H110i for this build as I was unable to get hold of an AMD bracket for my H100i. There would be absolutely no point in me returning the chip now. I could have gone for the 1800X, but stock availability seemed sketchy so in the end I saved money on that point (even though I would rather have had the 1800X).

If you'd bothered to read my points on temperatures particularly with regards to AIDA, I'm not even sure that the temperatures being reported by UEFI are correct. None of the parts linked to the cooling are warm to the touch which is what I would be able to feel if it was idling at 60C. Right now, they're not something that can be trusted. The TDP on the 1700 is lower which is going to affect the temperatures and power usage, but neither of those figures on the 1700X are exorbitant.
    Sorry was just trying to offer advice, the 1700 stays ~20c cooler than the x chips given similar volts. If your happy with the x, you are happy

Ill update my 1700 results with stock cooler, hoping to hit 3.7 or 3.8 with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    No need to reinstall Windows, it's just that it sat there with the screen completely black but receiving signal for about 10-15 minutes. I think it was configuring in the background. After that, it takes a few more minutes to get into Windows itself.

It does take a minute or so for each boot after that, but I'm sure BIOS updates will fix that.
    Oh, I see you used a drive that had Windows already Installed. did you use the drivers on the disk or did you dl the new ones from AMD? They are hard to find heres a link.

I am a oem, so I will use a fresh install of 10 Pro

I have been checking MSIs website daily to see if theres any bios updates and so far no joy.

I was going to use a Samsung 950 Pro but I think Im going for storage on this one so I will be using a Crucial MX300 750GB for software and games with a 2TB Western Drive for storage.

My chip is coming from Amazon, the memory from NE and the board from B&H, but they all say will be delivered tomorrow. The only thing I wish I did was get a Define C ATX case, I tried to today at last minute but NE wanted $80 shipping to get it here tomorrow...so its the Phanteks P400S.

Also on your OC did you try lowering the multiplier and raising the BCLK? I dont know about the AM4s but alot of chips you can drop one multiplier and up the bclk by say 7-10 or more and it will actually yield some good results. I know people frown on it but I been doing it for years, hell when I started OCing all we had a bclk to use, anyway it will enable you to lower your voltage.

Im going to try my ass off to get mine to 4
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-03-08 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    I have no control over a company and the decisions they make, if AMD loses their ass over a product launch that did not meet customer, and more importantly investor expectations its on them. Competition is great, but if/when AMD goes under, I'll just have to pony up more fund-age to support my PC habit from Intel and have to take one less vacation to offset my purchases.

Honestly if you or anyone thinks the AMD hate is strong now, wait until their quarterly earnings and if they miss projections watch out. Its going to be a bloodbath.
    Is that why Intel has suddenly started to offer their business customers small discounts in exchange for signing agreements to buy only Intel chips? Intel is terrified of the new AMD CPUs. The business sector will start using them due to the extreme price savings.

Hate to break it to all the gamers, but neither AMD or Intel care that much about the income from gamers. They simply value their voice aka publicity. They make the vast majority of their money in the business segment, and being able to buy a multicore CPU from AMD for 1/3 to 1/5 the cost of Intels offerings has Intel going nuts.

15+ Year Old Account
    OMG the waiting ... lol

"On UPS vehicle for Delivery"

- - - Updated - - -

Incoming Build

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I wish more motherboards were in stock:,(

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    No kidding lol. I have all my parts ordered except mobo, i want the asrock x370 killer ac but its been outta stock forever, if the asus prime comes in stock i may have to grab that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen any board in stock here, rofl. The actual CPUs are selling everywhere though, which is comical.

15+ Year Old Account
    snip
    Did you have issues with your board reportimng high temps?

Im on mine now but it is saying temps are at 67c in the bios but hw monitor says 36c. Everytime I try to run CPU-ID it locks up when validating.

I will finish updates to windows and post some screenies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    B&H has a few
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-03-09 at 12:44 AM.

I will stick with what I have

Deleted
    nope switched from Team Red to Team blue a little over a year ago. Waiting on the next round of Itel enthusiasts chips to be released.

well this is nice

http://wccftech.com/amd-pinnacle-ridge-cpu-zen-2-core/
    AMD Zen 2 Based CPU Family is Called Pinnacle Ridge – Successor To Summit Ridge Arrives on AM4 in Early 2018
    if thats true Zen 2 will be in time to go up against Coffee Lake .. and if it has both IPC bump and clock bump then it may actually be a toe-to-toe very close battle between Coffee and Zen 2 ~hexacores in games right from the start

previous leaks suggested Zen 2 is in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Is that why Intel has suddenly started to offer their business customers small discounts in exchange for signing agreements to buy only Intel chips? Intel is terrified of the new AMD CPUs. The business sector will start using them due to the extreme price savings.

Hate to break it to all the gamers, but neither AMD or Intel care that much about the income from gamers. They simply value their voice aka publicity. They make the vast majority of their money in the business segment, and being able to buy a multicore CPU from AMD for 1/3 to 1/5 the cost of Intels offerings has Intel going nuts.
    Alot of this will depend on support from the big OEM's though, like Dell, HP, Lenovo and the likes. If they will start selling desktops, laptops, workstations and servers with AMD's new offerings that are significantly cheaper as a whole, then yes, it can cause quite a stirup in the business market, however if it goes the same way as the last time AMD had a competitive offering v.s. Intel and all the OEM systems either won't use AMD or keep them at the same or close to the same price point as their Intel Offerings not alot will change seeing that there arent alot of business out there building their own systems. If AMD however can get OEM's to sell laptops / desktops workstations or servers at 2/3rd of the costs of a same performing Intel offering there might a stir in the Business side of things. The point that AMD won't even have a Xeon alternative for workstations and servers (Naples) nor a Laptop part (Ravens Rigde) for a while won't help them either.

And then theres also quite a few software developers that will not support hardware unless they thoroughly tested and valiated it. Alot of Businesses won't risk running software like that on unsupported systems because if they run into issues those issues might cost a alot more than a initial saving on hardware costs.

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    Alot of this will depend on support from the big OEM's though, like Dell, HP, Lenovo and the likes. If they will start selling desktops, laptops, workstations and servers with AMD's new offerings that are significantly cheaper as a whole, then yes, it can cause quite a stirup in the business market, however if it goes the same way as the last time AMD had a competitive offering v.s. Intel and all the OEM systems either won't use AMD or keep them at the same or close to the same price point as their Intel Offerings not alot will change seeing that there arent alot of business out there building their own systems. If AMD however can get OEM's to sell laptops / desktops workstations or servers at 2/3rd of the costs of a same performing Intel offering there might a stir in the Business side of things. The point that AMD won't even have a Xeon alternative for workstations and servers (Naples) nor a Laptop part (Ravens Rigde) for a while won't help them either.

And then theres also quite a few software developers that will not support hardware unless they thoroughly tested and valiated it. Alot of Businesses won't risk running software like that on unsupported systems because if they run into issues those issues might cost a alot more than a initial saving on hardware costs.
    OEMs will build whatever their customers demand. Hence why Intel is in a panic. Why would any business pay 3-5 times as much for something?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    OEMs will build whatever their customers demand. Hence why Intel is in a panic. Why would any business pay 3-5 times as much for something?
    First of all, because the past has proven otherwise. OEM's have never been big on pushing AMD, not even when they delivered a better product at a lower pricepoint in the early to mid 2000's. Sure, they had AMD machines in their product lines, but they pushed Intel's P3/P4 lines a lot more then they would push AMD's lines. I'm in this business for quite some years now, and unless i've specificly asked them to offer AMD (or AMD and Intel) for a project they would always offer Intel even at the points in time where AMD was the top dog in price / perf. Also don't forget business are usually quite traditional and often also just ask for Intel and sometimes even don't want anything to do with AMD even when they have the better offer.

Then ofcourse there is the pricing itself, OEM's offer full systems, where the CPU is just on of many components in the product, and they buy cpu's in large bulk, order of 10000 up to a few 100000's of cpu's are not uncommon and due to that there are vast discounts to be had (atleast Intel always had these discounts) which might skew the prices to a less favorable advantage for AMD (though AMD parts wil still be cheaper). Just like they buy all components in bulk. They don't buy fancy of the shelve mobo's, but use their own custom ordered ones which usually are alot cheaper designed than of the shelve mobo's because there are usually no fancy LED's, not alot of ports that won't be used in the end product, no fancy heatsinks, powerstages are usually alot simpler since they dont have to allow for overclocking and stuff like that. However this also means that a OEM system won't be 3-5 times cheaper when its equipped with a AMD cpu.

For a quick example a HP Business desktop a AMD A-Series system with a A6-9500, 4GB of Ram, 500GB non-SSD harddrive goes for +- €650 euro's here at 2 of my business suppliers. A comparable HP business desktop with a i5 6500, 4GB of Ram, 500GB non-SSD goes for +-700 euro's while the AMD Apu's are alot cheaper in general than Intel i5 cpu's. Now ofc these are EU prices including taxes (21%), US prices may differ, but atleast here the trend with business systems is that when even the CPU is alot cheaper, in the end the list price between full systems is a lot smaller.
    Last edited by chronia; 2017-03-09 at 08:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    That's awesome hahaha, multi-boxers rejoice!

On the other side of things, I saw this vid and my heart sank; Am I really going to see a degradation if I were to replace my 4670K with an R7 1700? I can't justify spending a bunch of cash to play games worse, even if I can have a bunch of games open at once. (lol)

I should just give this a few months so that some of these kinks regarding memory speeds, windows 10 scheduling, mobo BIOS bugs & game optimization kinks can be ironed out. That doesn't mean that I can't replace a few parts now though in preparation for whatever platform I'll be jumping to.

What exactly will the R5s bring to the table to impress gaming-focused users? Faster, fewer cores with a dirt cheap price?
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2017-03-09 at 10:31 AM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥