Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I'd love to see at least 2 of the 5 plot armor princesses killed of in rapid secession. Like Arya dies killing the Mountain, just as Sir Jaime kills Jon again while defending his sister wife, or Dany gets eaten by her dead dragon turned ice zombie dragon.

If all 5 live, I'll be quite upset.
    We know the ending is bitter sweet, either Jon or Dany will die probably after siring a new Targaryen dynasty, My money is on Dany dying in childbirth. Jon kind of wants to die so making him live especially after the second love of his life dies,he would get the kids with a family name he has always wanted but, be forced to rule over a kingdom he doesn't want feels right out of Grrms playbook. Grrms wife said she would divorce him if Arya dies. Sansa is being set up to take down LF. Tyrian who knows really. Either him or Jamie will probably bite it. I can see a murder triangle happening of Tyrion>Cersei>Jamie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I agree that Plot Armor is an annoying feature of work, but wouldn't plot armor and Mary Sue-esque characters perhaps have a greater chance of emerging when the purpose of an artistic piece is to promote a particular political set of symbols or ideas?

But yes, Plot Armor is a problem in pretty much all fiction when the author really wants to play up the greatness of their main characters.
    Also, doesn't Mary sue's have plot armor by definition?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Why would it? Mary sue's and plot armor is a problem of bad writers, you'd have to demonstrate that political stories are written with greater frequency by bad writers than good writers.

And even then, it's only a problem if it's blatant or overrides some other aspect of the story. Mary sues and plot armor are acceptable on occasion.
    You cant serve two masters.
    Either your goal is to entertain, or to push your ideology.
    That's why message fic's almost universally sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    and we don't even know if she is dead at this point.
    No she is alive, you can see her walk of at the end of the episode.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    No she is alive, you can see her walk of at the end of the episode.
    Apparently, you haven't seen all the theories on that which include that was her dying or that she was a force ghost. Again, we don't know if she is currently alive or not. It is likely she is, but they haven't confirmed it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    George R Martin kills off major characters, imagine spending years of effort on a character only to kill him off, it would be like building a house and then setting it on fire.

But game of thrones is a lot more interesting because of it.
    Game of Thrones is ONLY interesting because of it. It's a mediocre story at best, and Martin has no other means to create suspense other then the looming threat of 'everybody could die'.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Game of Thrones is ONLY interesting because of it. It's a mediocre story at best, and Martin has no other means to create suspense other then the looming threat of 'everybody could die'.
    The books are not mediocre ... you could call it standard, but not mediocre. Keep in mind we live in a world where Twilight and Fifty Shades exist, if A Song of Ice and Fire is mediocre there is not word that would qualify to describe how bad the others I mentioned are.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    The books are not mediocre ... you could call it standard, but not mediocre. Keep in mind we live in a world where Twilight and Fifty Shades exist, if A Song of Ice and Fire is mediocre there is not word that would qualify to describe how bad the others I mentioned are.
    You are right. I tend to pick my reading material rather careful, so my eyes are closed to the complete trash that gets published these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    The fandom around star wars is what ruined it for me and has driven me to the point of not wanting to associate with any of it. I get that people like it but holy shit, the fanboys of Star Wars are the worst and try to hijack every movie discussion i've seen. You like what you like but I just can't handle it anymore.
    Word. So I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    "Plot Armor" is ridiculously difficult to specify. Basically, if you know the Problem of Evil:

1) God is Good.
    2) God is All Powerful and All Knowing.
    3) Evil exists.
    SMBC has your answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    You approach it the wrong way. GRRM shows how everything is interconnected on a vast, intercontinental scale. One character's death, therefore, though inevitable and often predictable, has consequences. Many deaths are meaningful when they advance the plot. And few characters are true loners, so even when they die one can still worry about their companions.

Also the plot of A Song of Ice and Fire is driven by a prophecy. If some characters have plot armour, it is because they are meant to. In this, they go beyond medieval history they are supposed to portray and invoke Greek dramas. And lastly, if you only care about what happens, you miss most of the fun. In a good book, how is at least as important.