Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I'm done with online communities

I'm just done.

I'm tired of people berating others, I'm tired of people berating the game devs, I'm tired of the negativity.

I don't give a shit what the reason is, I just want it to stop.

After 10 years of online gaming I thought I'd have a thicker skin towards this stuff but nothing has changed. I've accepted that this trend isn't going to change any time soon, so I want to just isolate myself from online communities. I've had enough.

With that said, I still love the games that I play, hence the purpose of this thread. How do I continue playing online games, but not have to listen to all the bullshit? Simply “not looking at the chat” isn't an option, since my eyes dart down to the chat every few minutes out of habit.

I'm going to sleep, I'll check replies in the morning.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

I support you and your actions.

Best of luck with whatever you do :]

It's not online communities that you're annoyed with, it's public online communities. Find people you enjoy playing with and you'll find that the rest become background noise after a while.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbull View Post
    I'm just done.

I'm tired of people berating others, I'm tired of people berating the game devs, I'm tired of the negativity.

After 10 years of online gaming I thought I'd have a thicker skin towards this stuff but nothing has changed. I've accepted that this trend isn't going to change any time soon, so I want to just isolate myself from online communities. I've had enough.

With that said, I still love the games that I play, hence the purpose of this thread. How do I continue playing online games, but not have to listen to all the bullshit? Simply “not looking at the chat” isn't an option, since my eyes dart down to the chat every few minutes out of habit.

Clearly you do. Now, move on with the rest of the scum.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-03-08 at 05:39 PM.

Why are you being so dramatic? If it bothers you more than you enjoy your game, quit the game dude. People in real world are like that too, should you stop living just because?
    Trolls... I don't like trolls.. Stop it..
    Hate with ignorance & Love with passion
    *Not a single shit was given*
    Ever

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a easy fix. Dont use facebook, twiter, mmc, game forum of the game you are playing, ignore all youtube vidoes of the game you are playing.
    And maybe install some addon that hides a wow chat (or other games). Voice chat supported games can be a bit problematic.

Or take a break from a mmo games for some time and play single ones. (sandbox for example)

I am playing path of exile right now and there is a button to hide chat. So it fells like singleplayer experience (and no whine kids, goldsellers and so on)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

"I'm done with online communities" ... "I'll check replies in the morning"
    Seriously though, you have to disconnect yourself and stop taking the chatter of random people about your game personally, and/or seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just done.

If you cannot play with friends, then simply deactivate the chat altogether. I know games like Overwatch and Heroes allows it.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    There are plenty of UI addons that will let you disable parts of the UI; even the chat.
    ElvUI for instance gives you the option to either "have it on", "have it only show up when you mouse over it" or "completely disable it".

If you want to just do it with the default interface you can simply create a new chat-window with all possible channels disabled.

Just try to play games where this isn't an issue. For example I switched from Overwatch on PC to Overwatch on console just so I wouldn't have to deal with the toxic chat. Now I can play the game without having to deal with all the abusive behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just done.

Lightbull mah friend! Don't give up. I see you're feeling bad, so let's just deal with the problem (Why are you exactly sad/feeling bad?)!
    Don't give up, we make the community together. Sure it looks like it's falling apart, and it's full of toxicity, but there's also a lot of good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Not many people will create a thread on the forums about how everything is good. The 2 biggest reasons to create a thread is to discuss tactics/rotations and complain. Tactics and rotations have pretty much reached their maximum potential, hence the forums being filled with complaints.

Deleted
    And you thought, going to the MMOC forum and making a post about it is the first step to be "done with online communities"? Clever...

I'm just done.
    Not to be a dick, but if you were done, you'd probably not be posting in an online community forum... just saying.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

7+ Year Old Account
    People have different opinions and ways of speaking than than the OP does. He should get used to that, or I guess retreat into his safe space or something.

I mean, how mentally and emotionally fragile can you get?
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Well, just turn off chat or put certain channels in different windows so you don't see them all the time (I have a general window for /s, /w and channel messages, one for trade/general chat and one for group/raid chat). And never visit this site again.

dont use forums, and in games turn off all chat features.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why it's better to play alone or single player games. Communities could be interesting to talk to to make your opinions on things more rich, but otherwise it's not really worth it to bother.

Deleted
    Posting in an online community forum to inform everybody you're done with online communities. Okay.

I'm just done (...) I'm going to sleep, I'll check replies in the morning.
    I'm not sure you understand what "done" is usually taken to mean.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    And you thought, going to the MMOC forum and making a post about it is the first step to be "done with online communities"? Clever...
    ROFL
    /10 char