Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

WoW vs jRPGs (Xenoblade, Zelda)

Hello,

I've been playing WoW forever, and I own a Wii U.
    I am interested in Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda Breath of the Wilds.

However, a friend of mine bashes jRPGs, so I need some more opinions regarding Xenobalde X and Breath of the Wild.

Compare to WoW, how are these two games:

1) Gameplay
    I've tried several other RPGs than WoW, eg Witcher, Dragon Age, but the gameplay is mostly clunky, whereas WoW is very polished.

2) Interface
    Bad inventory management comes to mind, Bethesda is terrible in this regard for example, WoW has become very good with time on this.

3) Variety
    My biggest fear, my friend tells me jRPGs in general are very repetitive. In WoW, chiefly in Legion, it's possible to keep playing fresh content for a long time (quests, dungeons, order hall campaigns, old world).

What do you think regarding Xenoblade X and Breath of the Wild?
    Last edited by Natylyaz; 2017-03-08 at 02:40 PM.
    Vanilla player since day 1 Europe.
    I think everything should be account-wide.
    Cross-faction grouping for dungeons and raids should be a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zelda isn't a JRPG, its just a trash game.

Have you played Pokemon games? That is the gist of every JRPG, only some have better graphics/more absurd character because Japan.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Zelda isn't a JRPG, its just a trash game.

Have you played Pokemon games? That is the gist of every JRPG, only some have better graphics/more absurd character because Japan.
    Let us forget my comment about JRPGs then, I am only interested in the latest Xenoblade and Zelda.
    I've only played a bit of pokemon on the Game Boy a long time ago, but I'm really not sure it's anything like Xenoblade or Zelda.

Deleted
    Personally, I don't consider WoW an RPG (while it factually is); it's boring, extremely repetitive (probably the most repetitive game I've ever played) and horribly linear (from quest to quest which unlocks new quests which are similar, etc.)., poor interactive implementation of a great story, shame.

The best RPGs I've played are Zelda (with BotW as one of the best games ever made), Final Fantasy III and VII, Dark Souls, System Shock 2, Fallout 3, Planetscape: Torment, Secret of Mana, etc.

In short, WoW doesn't even exist in that list.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    Personally, I don't consider WoW an RPG (while it factually is); it's boring, extremely repetitive (probably the most repetitive game I've ever played) and horribly linear (from quest to quest which unlocks new quests which are similar, etc.)., poor interactive implementation of a great story, shame.

The best RPGs I've played are Zelda (with BotW as one of the best games ever made), Final Fantasy III and VII, Dark Souls, System Shock 2, Fallout 3, Planetscape: Torment, Secret of Mana, etc.

In short, WoW doesn't even exist in that list.
    So, in more balanced words, you think Zelda is less repetitive than WoW for a 50-hours experience? (Your comment about WoW being repetitive stands true if you play the same class for 2 years every day, but 50 hours? That's 2 weeks of WoW for me, not sure I finished the Broken Isles in 50 hours on my first char.)
    And how does it compare regarding gameplay and interface?

JRPGs are hardly playable: the characters looks Asian, dressed in strange way and in general they are very weird because they are oriented on Japanese audience. European games all the way for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that you should see more than gameplay in a video game. Check out the games considered the best of all times. Which WoW is part of

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    JRPGs are hardly playable: the characters looks Asian, dressed in strange way and in general they are very weird because they are oriented on Japanese audience. European games all the way for me.
    This. The Japanese art style freaks me out.

Deleted
    The zelda series arent rpgs, let alone jrpgs.

They are action adventure, botw is just more open world than the others tho some might argue that it's not.

Both Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenobloade Chronicles X are fantastic games and really shouldn't be missed, the former being much more story orientated than the latter if that's important to you. I found the combat in XCX to be some of the best I've ever played and would love to see something similar in an actual MMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Natylyaz View Post
    So, in more balanced words, you think Zelda is less repetitive than WoW for a 50-hours experience? (Your comment about WoW being repetitive stands true if you play the same class for 2 years every day, but 50 hours? That's 2 weeks of WoW for me, not sure I finished the Broken Isles in 50 hours on my first char.)
    And how does it compare regarding gameplay and interface?
    Honestly, WoW becomes boring and repetitive after an hour, let alone 50 hours. I'm sure there are people who enjoy slaughtering level one scorpions ad nauseam or who love gather and deliver quest, but I certainly do not.

WoW's gameplay is ancient, mostly passive and barely intuitive. I remain unimpressed with it even if the engine is responsive and crisp.

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post

They are action adventure, botw is just more open world than the others tho some might argue that it's not.
    They are in fact RPGs, from Japan. Ergo, JRPGs. If if they don't look like Aion, or any other similarly cringey crap-game.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2017-03-08 at 01:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

I shouldn't have written jRPGs.
    My real interest is in Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda Breath of the Wild, I am wondering if I would like them as much as I like WoW single-player mode.

Deleted
    I don't know what loose definition of an rpg or jrpg you are using but they are well defined genres, zelda is an action-adventure game, not an rpg.

And wether you like it compared to WoW, idk the gameplay isnt even in the same genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unlike claimed above, the first Xenoblade doesn't really do the things you'd have much reason to worry about with the game being "japanese". Fan service and pandering etc is kept to a minimum throughout most of the game aside from some plate bikinis very late in the game, has a relatively maturely written story, it's mostly real time combat with no turn based elements to it aside from waiting for cooldowns.

The sequel is a different story, but that goes for the first game.
    Last edited by zealo; 2017-03-08 at 02:09 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Unlike claimed above, the first Xenoblade doesn't really do the things you'd have much reason to worry about with the game being "japanese". Fan service and pandering etc is kept to a minimum throughout most of the game aside from some plate bikinis very late in the game, has a relatively maturely written story, it's mostly real time combat with no turn based elements to it aside from waiting for cooldowns.

The sequel is a different story, but that goes for the first game.
    Could you elaborate on the second game regarding excessive "japanese"-ness ? Because I was considering getting Xenoblade Chronicles X for my Wii U.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what loose definition of an rpg or jrpg you are using but they are well defined genres, zelda is an action-adventure game, not an rpg.

And wether you like it compared to WoW, idk the gameplay isnt even in the same genre.
    I realise the genre is different, but in his genre, does Breath of the Wild does a good job in the gameplay department?
    For example, between Mass Effect and The Witcher 1, Mass Effect has a much better gameplay, and WoW is even above, in my opinion.

Zelda: BotW is a ton of fun. I hadn't really played a Zelda since MM, but this one is just a blast so far.

The problem is if you don't like those types of games, then you don't like those types of games lol.

If you don't find WoW to be repetitive then we have some significant differences in the meaning but so far Zelda has almost nothing repetitive yet. Granted, I am only a few hours in and just enjoying exploring.
    Last edited by Rezhial; 2017-03-08 at 02:36 PM.

Deleted

The Legend of Zelda is IN FACT an RPG. Not a turn-based RPG, but an action RPG. It ticks most, if not all RPG boxes; Character progression, collectables, an epic story, a specific role, interaction with NPCs, discovery, dungeons, loot, etc.

I don't see why anyone would say it's not an RPG. What does it miss, according to you? What is a "real" RPG, according to you?
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2017-03-08 at 02:21 PM.

Zelda is more of an action adventure series, at least traditionally. As mascarpwn points out, it's blurred the lines more and more over the years. But its primary focus has been dungeons and puzzle solving. RPG elements have been brought into a lot of genres over the years, though. Even FPS games incorporate traditional RPG elements now.

Inventory management is typically fairly minimal in most Zelda games as you're not gathering items for crafting or the like. You'll get a few items needed for puzzles, etc. and you'll have potions/healing fairies and weapons. Breath of the Wild may be different in that respect.

I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii, nor Chronicles X on Wii U, but I understand they're a bit more JRPG in having a group, inventory for items/potions/armor/weapons, etc. concepts.

If you already have a Wii U, give Breath of the Wild a go.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-03-08 at 02:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Zelda is more of an action adventure series. Inventory management is typically fairly minimal in most Zelda games as you're not gathering items for crafting or the like.
    Actually, you are. You even need to cook food and eat, to dress warmly when you go to a cold area, etc. In older Zelda games you also needed specific items to proceed to different areas. They are very much RPGs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezhial View Post
    Zelda: BotW is a ton of fun. I hadn't really played a Zelda since MM, but this one is just a blast so far.

The problem is if you don't like those types of games, then you don't like those types of games lol.

If you don't find WoW to be repetitive then we have some significant differences in the meaning but so far Zelda has not almost nothing as repetitive yet. Granted, I am only a few hours in and just enjoying exploring.
    Let me clarify, WoW is repetitive if you play it everyday over the course of the whole expansion.
    But if you play with one class from the start of Legion until you're done with your Order Hall campaign, all the content is fresh and not repetitive.
    It's story driven, quests are somewhat varied, it's not braindead monster bashing.

I haven't played Zelda since Link's awakening on Game Boy, and Final Fantasy since FF-X on Playstation 2 (hence my interest in Xenoblades X), and I'm afraid WoW has ruined my expectations on how games should be polished regarding interface and details.
    Last edited by Natylyaz; 2017-03-08 at 02:28 PM.