Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by supermage View Post
    I still question the need to have insurance. Are you that careless that you need such insurance?
    ... What...?

I developed gall stones and had to have my gall bladder removed several years back. Where did carelessness come in? The abdominal pain was debilitating at times, I needed a surgery I couldn't have gotten without insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Define poor? In my head, word 'poor' and being able to buy anything does not go together.
    Poor = you are regularly receiving aid from the government to provide for your basic needs, like food or rent OR your income is low enough to be considered poor. Either way, you can still make purchases. I, for example, probably would've been considered poor for a decent chunk of the last few years (when I working 4 hours a day), and, yet, I was still paying for my food and rent and the occasional unnecessary expenditure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    I would like to see citations on this because when you say "poor" people do alot of the times then this must be well documented.
    Yes, because people are obviously out there documenting this behavior. Come on, use some common sense.

My information comes from the numerous stories I've read on sites like notalwaysright and askreddit threads. In other words, they're stories of personal experience. People paying for their groceries with food stamps/EBT cards and then driving off in their new/relatively new higher-end car. Poor people spending all of their disposable income on alcohol and cigarettes while paying for their food with food stamps. People working for CPS visiting a poor home and seeing flat-screen TVs.

This sort of thing is exactly the situation that doesn't get officially documented, because poor people generally don't advertise that kind of stuff... you know? It very clearly happens, all the same. The only reason people might not believe it is because they're insulated from it. Start reading topics that overlap with the subject of poverty and you'll see more than enough stories like this.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2017-03-08 at 04:36 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Poor people don't have a right to find enjoyment in their lives, or at least that is what I gathered from Fox news.

he never said any smartphone he said they shouldn't be buying a iphone and i agree they cost like $400+ i use a cheap 30dollar smartphone because I'm poor.Go work at any grocery store as a cashier and watch the people pay with food stamp/snap card with a iphone 7+ with the fancy phone covers on them to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Yes, because people are obviously out there documenting this behavior. Come on, use some common sense.

My information comes from the numerous stories I've read on sites like notalwaysright and askreddit threads. In other words, they're stories of personal experience. People paying for their groceries with food stamps/EBT cards and then driving off in their new/relatively new higher-end car. Poor people spending all of their disposable income on alcohol and cigarettes while paying for their food with food stamps. People working for CPS visiting a poor home and seeing flat-screen TVs.

This sort of thing is exactly the situation that doesn't get officially documented, because poor people generally don't advertise that kind of stuff... you know? It very clearly happens, all the same. The only reason people might not believe it is because they're insulated from it. Start reading topics that overlap with the subject of poverty and you'll see more than enough stories like this.
    Just lol at a conspiracy of poor people.

Anecdotes are horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Anecdotes are horseshit.
    They're not, but feel free to ignore anything that you don't want to believe. It'll continue to be a problem and you'll continue to pretend it's not there, because, to you, it's just an anecdote.

I know a single mom of two children who would almost certainly be considered poor. She was often unable to pay most of her bills. Why? Well, going out to the bar every weekend and spending her non-disposable income on cigarettes and junk food probably had a lot to do with it... but that's not on an official document and you're not seeing it for yourself, so it obviously didn't happen, right?

Here's something you probably didn't consider: a lot of poor people are poor because they are terrible at managing their money. I imagine you can believe that someone would buy a new car every couple of years while complaining about how they never have money, but you can't believe that a poor person would be doing the same things? Oh, people are buying houses and cars that they can't afford to the point where we had a housing crisis, but apparently the poor are immune to those problems?

No. These things actually happen. It's not every poor person or every poor family, but there are a very large amount of poor people out there that are stuck in poverty because they don't know how to spend their money appropriately or, you know, how to save their money. I imagine that every single one of us knows someone who spends their money on frivolous things. Why would you expect the poor to be any different?

I'm not trying to shit on the poor, but I am pointing out that there are problems that could be addressed. There are definitely people out there that need government assistance, just like there are people out there that are a completely unnecessary drain on those government programs. In fact, I know another person who was completely capable of working and getting paid good money, but who ended up on food stamps, not even trying to get a job. The fact of the matter is that, when you make things so easy, people stop trying.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2017-03-08 at 05:53 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Have you ever heard of asking for directions? You call up the place, ask how to get there and then write down what they tell you. Marvelous invention.
    Maybe it's just my country but not every company is located in a public place where people know the locations of every company. But then again you literally ignored the first part about ''quicker and cheaper''

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ajjax View Post
    Its called a library, they have computers. A $5 library card is cheap for near unlimited access. A $800 iphone with $90+ dollar recurring monthly bill is a luxury, not a necessity.

- - - Updated - - -

There's other computer access' without it being on your phone. Your expensive tech is a luxury regardless of how normal it is for people to have them.
    A smarthphone isn't a expensive tech.....I can buy one as cheap as 60 euro. And since in this age where you are expected to be available 8 hours a day when looking for a job having a contract isn't a totally new expense anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    lol you people and your entitlements.
    Not a counterargument.....just a pathetic display deflecting. So just stop trolling since it's kind of sad that a trump supporter is talking about entitlements.

Deleted
    This fits to

"If the peons have no bread, they should eat cake instead."

[QUOTE=ati87;44933050]Maybe it's just my country but not every company is located in a public place where people know the locations of every company. But then again you literally ignored the first part about ''quicker and cheaper''

- - - Updated - - -

A smarthphone isn't a expensive tech.....I can buy one as cheap as 60 euro. And since in this age where you are expected to be available 8 hours a day when looking for a job having a contract isn't a totally new expense anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

i didnt say having a contract is a new expense, i said that it is an expense. Entitlement is a real thing and there are people in this country use it as a crutch, you can't even say it's false. Im a vp of sales for a medical company and there is zero expectation of being available, i also have plenty of people on my sales force who don't have smart phones or the ridiculous contacts that come with them from Verizon etc. Stop deflecting

My information comes from the numerous stories I've read on sites like notalwaysright and askreddit threads. In other words, they're stories of personal experience.
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Says someone who has never wanted for anything. Be quiet.
    That is utterly irrelevant. It's common sense; you do not sacrifice the bare necessities for a frivolous, luxury item. Unfortunately it happens a lot, especially in southern European countries like Italy, where people drown in debt but wear a 1200euro Nobis coat and pay for their groceries by credit card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    typical dick bag conservative politician. "Poor people! fuck you!"
    Obama said the same thing while he was in office.

Hypocrite much?

The real problem here is not the implication that "poor people should not have smartphones" but rather the reinforcement of the false narrative that all poor people are leeches and/or made their own bed and have the power to get out of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Obama said the same thing while he was in office.
    Neo liberalism is no conservative only paradigm.

They're not, but feel free to ignore anything that you don't want to believe. It'll continue to be a problem and you'll continue to pretend it's not there, because, to you, it's just an anecdote.

I know a single mom of two children who would almost certainly be considered poor. She was often unable to pay most of her bills. Why? Well, going out to the bar every weekend and spending her non-disposable income on cigarettes and junk food probably had a lot to do with it... but that's not on an official document and you're not seeing it for yourself, so it obviously didn't happen, right?

Here's something you probably didn't consider: a lot of poor people are poor because they are terrible at managing their money. I imagine you can believe that someone would buy a new car every couple of years while complaining about how they never have money, but you can't believe that a poor person would be doing the same things? Oh, people are buying houses and cars that they can't afford to the point where we had a housing crisis, but apparently the poor are immune to those problems?

No. These things actually happen. It's not every poor person or every poor family, but there are a very large amount of poor people out there that are stuck in poverty because they don't know how to spend their money appropriately or, you know, how to save their money. I imagine that every single one of us knows someone who spends their money on frivolous things. Why would you expect the poor to be any different?

I'm not trying to shit on the poor, but I am pointing out that there are problems that could be addressed. There are definitely people out there that need government assistance, just like there are people out there that are a completely unnecessary drain on those government programs. In fact, I know another person who was completely capable of working and getting paid good money, but who ended up on food stamps, not even trying to get a job. The fact of the matter is that, when you make things so easy, people stop trying.
    Well I never see anyone take advantage of the system.

Anecdote cancels anecdote.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Not a counterargument.....just a pathetic display deflecting. So just stop trolling since it's kind of sad that a trump supporter is talking about entitlements.
    I'd never vote for that cocksucker. I voted for Cecil and Harambe.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Flip phone here even though I can afford any of the smart phones out there. No reason to pay for shit you don't need and to pretend that people actually need a smart phone to exist is fucking hilarious. Then again this is a sarah thread. GG to that.
    So what costs more that smart phone of the computer you used to access this thread?

Chaffetz is literally the perfect stereotype of a conservative:

A weasel-faced, greedy, cowardly cunt of a snake who shit talks poor people who don't want to go bankrupt if they get sick.

He gets his fucking healthcare paid BY US for free.

Fuck this piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    That is utterly irrelevant. It's common sense; you do not sacrifice the bare necessities for a frivolous, luxury item. Unfortunately it happens a lot, especially in southern European countries like Italy, where people drown in debt but wear a 1200euro Nobis coat and pay for their groceries by credit card.
    The average cost of health insurance for an average family in the US is $25,826, people who have jobs and still have to pay a portion on average pay $900 / month. The analogy is extremely stupid unless you think poor people are buying multiple Iphones every month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyv3r View Post
    First world problems...
    Not really. All the rest of the first world (and most of the second and third world) has gotten this shit figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    An old fart has no grip on modern life. Seems pretty standard fair for the GOP to not understand technology.
    He's not old, he's only 49.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Libraries exist.
    They used to exist. They're closing by the dozen, due to Republicans cutting their funding.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Chaffetz is literally the perfect stereotype of a conservative:

A weasel-faced, greedy, cowardly cunt of a snake who shit talks poor people who don't want to go bankrupt if they get sick.

He gets his fucking healthcare paid BY US for free.

Fuck this piece of shit.
    Also, his only private sector job was working for a pyramid scheme.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters