Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The CBO report has been pre-emptively dismissed. I am not making this up. The White House has disputed the report's validity before the report was even written.
    I like also buried in monday's release is a 12% budget cut to the CDC, specifically at the prevention and public health fund, which namely is r&d/treatment of things like bird flu, zika, and other infectious diseases

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    That doesn't mean the only answer is insurance.
    Maybe not, but your idea of "just use your savings like everything else" is exactly why we had the ACA in the first place. People couldn't do that. People without insurance got unexpected medical bills and medical bankruptcies were rampant. You're suggesting the same. It's a dangerous idea.

Also don't ask condescending questions when it's quite obvious you don't know jack shit yourself.
    Well someone doesn't know the answer/ Anyone else in the class want to help him out?

P.S. Yes I was being blatantly condescending. But your assumption that I don't know is a dangerous one. See, the point of a leading question is you know the answer ahead of time, and it, well, "leads" to a conclusion. That's what I'm doing here. I'm baiting you. You're refusing to answer, maybe out of ignorance, or maybe because you know the conclusion I'm leading you towards and don't want to get caught. Don't worry, it happens to a lot of people. But if you really don't know, you should drop by my stat class sometime. We cover literally this question on literally day two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    I like also buried in monday's release is a 12% budget cut to the CDC, specifically at the prevention and public health fund, which namely is r&d/treatment of things like bird flu, zika, and other infectious diseases
    Don't worry, all the coal refuse in the water will stop the mosquitoes from breeding!
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    People do dumb stuff. The ER is heavily overused and misused.
    While I'll give you the dumb stuff part, the link I provided shows the breakdown of why people went to the ER.
    66% of people who went to the ER went because the seriousness of the medical problem. So I don't know if I'd say heavily overused/misused.

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Obamacare has been a disaster. Without going into too much detail it has cost me a lot of money.
    3 years ago my insurance was a little over 50 a month for dental, vision and medical. Now from the same company, same coverage, but with stupid high deductibles, I pay over 200 a month.

Gotta love Obama care...
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    While I'll give you the dumb stuff part, the link I provided shows the breakdown of why people went to the ER.
    66% of people who went to the ER went because the seriousness of the medical problem. So I don't know if I'd say heavily overused/misused.
    From the link:
    Figure 1. Percentage who had selected reasons for last emergency room visit,
    among adults aged 18–64 whose last visit in past 12 months did not result in
    hospital admission: United States, January–June 2011

It's pretty obvious the people going to the ER think they have a serious issue but this usually isn't the case at all. People are notoriously unreliable for being self-aware.

The variable can be quantified but there is insufficient data available to do so. I don't have quantitative data and neither do you because it doesn't exist as there has been no controlled experiment. That doesn't mean you can't make non-quantitative arguments.
    If there is no data then it doesn't exist, the variable had no effect that can be measured if it does exist then it is so small that it does not register.
    You can say to the hospital hey this 50k bill is bullshit and I'm not going to pay it. You want some money I'll settle for 10k otherwise good luck with debt collection. Negotiation isn't new. While I agree this is something stupid, the bills you see online are stupid as well and could have easily been negotiated down.
    Wow just wow your level of ignorance is rather baffling, if you don't pay they can force your employer and dock your pay automatically every month. You cannot negotiate offhand unless you can show you cannot pay even then it's a very long and painful process. The prices of drug treatments are available online for all to see, if you get sick you are screwed there is no loan that will bail you out of yearly cancer treatments.

Also you are advocating for high interest loans on people who can't afford the bill to begin with again wow just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    And you would be wrong, AGAIN. Not entirely surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    It is misused regularly by the homeless and poor, or especially if they have state/free insurance. There is a lot of perks to the E.D if the bill is on the tax payer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it silly those all onboard with this crap of a bill. There's so much pork in it, it should have its own warning label. Wtf cares who does and does not pay taxes. Get over yourselves. The ACA, which for the first time in this countries history finally got the uninsured covered which was just huge. The original ACA was 10x better, but thanks to our comrade Republicans, what the public got was a slightly inferior product. But it still worked and saved millions of lives as well as got people coverages they needed. This current Ryancare does nothing to help anybody except the wealthiest...as usual. Why is it so hard for the United States of America to give their citizens universal healthcare like every other f'ing first world country? Why do Republicans, or any human being think healthcare is a luxury? It is a basic human right. This is what other more modern countries know. Oh, your taxes might help prevent somebody with less money than you from dying? Because it's a-ok for your taxes to give your politicians the best healthcare possible over the working man. Or, pay what is it? $10mil to schlep Trump and his extended family all over the world. Oh, it was perfectly fine to pay for politicians for 8 f'ing years to sit around doing nothing but blockading anything and everything (like they're complaining the opposition is doing to them now), order countless tax payer funded investigations into one person and never finding a single thing on them (but ignore treasonous allegations happening nearly everyday now cause you know, party over people).

Ryancare is an abomination and a slap in the face to the American people. I 100% agree with the committee member who came out and blasted the Republicans because they created it in a vault with a 24/7 guard and it should never have left there after calling it a bad joke. It is. If you cannot see that then you're lacking some serious mental faculties.

Hell, nobody even knows how much this bill would cost. (Hint, it's coming from your taxes). But we do know it'llthrow out approx. 10mil insured American to the curb. That's unacceptable. An insurance that goes up every year you age. That's unacceptable. Tax credit based system which, unless you're wealthy severely limits the care you need vs. the care that's provided. That's unacceptable. Supporting this joke publicly is about the stupidest thing I've read from people here, a lot of whom probably are still on their parents insurance. I don't know, nor care. Just stfu about taxes and how you want it spent. You have 100% zero say in any of that.
    Last edited by Moggie; 2017-03-09 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
    Ryancare is an abomination
    You can call it Trumpcare. The White House has fully endorsed it. And just to make that 100% clear, I'm citing Breitbart so there can be no denial later.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    If there is no data then it doesn't exist, the variable had no effect that can be measured if it does exist then it is so small that it does not register.

Wow just wow your level of ignorance is rather baffling, if you don't pay they can force your employer and dock your pay automatically every month. You cannot negotiate offhand unless you can show you cannot pay even then it's a very long and painful process. The prices of drug treatments are available online for all to see, if you get sick you are screwed there is no loan that will bail you out of yearly cancer treatments.

Also you are advocating for high interest loans on people who can't afford the bill to begin with again wow just wow.
    They have to win a court judgement to garnish your wages and filing for bankruptcy will stop it. So there is actually a lot of incentive for them to negotiate with you and give you something you can actually pay instead of just forcing you to enter bankruptcy.

They have to win a court judgement to garnish your wages and filing for bankruptcy will stop it. So there is actually a lot of incentive for them to negotiate with you and give you something you can actually pay instead of just forcing you to enter bankruptcy.
    Glad we agree that they won't negotiate with you unless you are on the edge of declaring bankruptcy. Again my point still remains expecting people to take our major loans for unpredictable health problems is insane and the cost of health care of the United States is the highest in the modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    3 years ago my insurance was a little over 50 a month for dental, vision and medical. Now from the same company, same coverage, but with stupid high deductibles, I pay over 200 a month.

Gotta love Obama care...
    So your employer passed on more of the cost to you...which has nothing to do with Obama care...but you blame Obama care????

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    This is by far the biggest bunch of nonsense I have ever seen posted on this forum. I pay $200/month to cover my entire family via my insurance policy. Even if I saved that for a full year it still wouldn't cover one overnight hospital stay. Taking care of your own health is a fine idea...until people with long-standing issues come into play. I've suffered migraines for 25 years...Out of pocket it would cost me $175/month for the medication to treat them. I'd have a whole $25/month left over if I just saved my money to pay for my own healthcare as you're suggesting. Your argument has no basis in reality.

And that is just the portion he pays. His company pays 5 to 10x that much to cover him

- - - Updated - - -

The 30% thing does suck, but it's still better than a mandate since you can choose if you want to opt into that.

So you think freedom is a bad thing?
    The mandate covered when the same prick ends up in the ER because of an accident or heart attack and need immediate 300k worth of medical life savings care

Premiums are expensive because healthcare costs in the US are out of control. Neither this bill (or the previous one), unfortunately, will correct that. It's still a separate issue from who pays for the exaggerated costs though. The old and sick pay more because they use more.
    So a plan that will result in fewer people insured, NOT address the root of the high costs, screw old people, and hand money to the wealthy is better because...freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    What a macabre line of reasoning.
    What? That someone should point out that by refusing to allow rape victims access to contraception or abortion you're essentially creating an additional injury to them and a burden to the state and taxpayers ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    You can call it Trumpcare. The White House has fully endorsed it. And just to make that 100% clear, I'm citing Breitbart so there can be no denial later.
    Can call it PippiLongstockingcare if that makes people realize how outrageously stupid it is, just like the WH.

Premiums are expensive because healthcare costs in the US are out of control. Neither this bill (or the previous one), unfortunately, will correct that. It's still a separate issue from who pays for the exaggerated costs though. The old and sick pay more because they use more.
    You know what would drive medical costs down, if everyone was on the same plan. That way, the single plan provider would have a monopoly on demand and be able to negotiate more favorable pricing.

I call it "One-Spender"!
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

TRUMPCARE SAVING PEOPLE MONEY........

The single biggest tax cut included in the bill is the repeal of the 3.8 percent tax the Affordable Care Act applied to capital gains, dividend, and interest income for families with $250,000 or more in income ($125,000 for singles).

Repealing that tax is a change that, by definition, only helps the rich, or at least the affluent. If you’re part of a married couple and, like the vast majority of Americans, make less than $250,000 a year, or earn more than that but have little investment income, it doesn’t affect you at all.

The Tax Policy Center finds that repealing the tax would amount to an average tax cut of $0 for households in the bottom 90 percent — those making $208,500 or below. A handful of people in the 80th to 95th percentiles would see cuts, but the vast majority wouldn’t.

By contrast, members of the top 0.1 percent, who each on average make more than $3.75 million annually, would get an average tax cut of $165,090.

Then there’s the 0.9 percent Medicare surtax, a hike on wage income in excess of $250,000 a year ($200,000 for unmarried people). The Republican bill would repeal this surtax and, in so doing, give everyone in the bottom 90 percent an average tax cut of $0, per the Tax Policy Center. The richest of the rich, the top 0.1 percent, would get an average cut of $30,520.

We don’t have a full distributional analysis of the Republican bill yet. But the Medicare surtax and the investment tax alone combine to a tax cut of $195,610 for the top 0.1 percent, not far off from the $197,340 average cut estimated for full repeal of Obamacare. It’s hard to overstate what a massive windfall this is for the richest Americans. You don’t have to be a total cynic about the wealthy’s influence on American politics to see this as a major factor motivating Republicans’ determination to rapidly pass a replacement plan that eliminates most of Obamacare’s taxes.

We’re presenting an analysis here of the net financial impact of the Republican bill on premiums, after tax credits, plus cost-sharing.

We estimate that the bill would increase costs for the average enrollee by $1,542, for the year, if the bill were in effect today. In 2020, the bill would increase costs for the average enrollee by $2,409.

n general, the impact of the Republican bill would be particularly severe for older individuals, ages 55 to 64. Their costs would increase by $5,269 if the bill went into effect today and by $6,971 in 2020. Individuals with income below 250 percent of the federal poverty line would see their costs increase by $2,945 today and by $4,061 in 2020.

Worse for families[/COLOR][/SIZE]

We reported above the results for individuals. For families, the Republican bill would increase costs by $2,243 if the bill were in effect today. For families with a head of household age 55 to 64, the bill would increase costs by $7,604. For families with income below 250 percent of poverty, the bill would increase costs by $6,228.

These cost increases would explode by 2020. We estimate that the Republican bill would increase costs for families by $4,274. For families with a head of household age 55 to 64, the bill would increase costs by $10,591. For families with income below 250% percent of poverty, the bill would increase costs by $9,024.

i made it look like i wrote in crayon so it would match the level of education of trump supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    So your employer passed on more of the cost to you...which has nothing to do with Obama care...but you blame Obama care????
    Yeah, I guess that also explains all the extra deductibles too huh? I guess my employer also thought it was a good idea to hike the prices state wide another 30%, yup mmhmm that's what happened.