Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

At the bottom of the Marianas trench.

The scenario is there's no water on Earth. You walk to the bottom of the Marianas Trench which is 43mi or about 69km below sea level. Do you notice a difference?

Oh, was looking at the width it's 11,034 metres (36,201 ft) deep.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-03-08 at 05:24 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

you die from lack of water, checkmate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but not nearly as much. Similar to the difference between being on top of Kilimanjaro and on the beach.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The scenario is there's no water on Earth. You walk to the bottom of the Marianas Trench which is 43mi or about 69km below sea level. Do you notice a difference?
    Whoever told you this, he was off, by just about 58km. So not too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    1> the Marianas Trench is at most about 11 km deep, not 69. It's 69 km wide, on average; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_Trench

2> Are we replacing water with new atmosphere, controlling for volume? In that case, you'd have denser air down that deep, more oxygen and such. The opposite issue that you have when you climb a mountain. If you don't replace the water, though, you've got the same amount of air pressing down on you, so the air pressure a the bottom of the trench wouldn't be much different than sea-level is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Whoever told you this, he was off, by just about 58km. So not too much.
    You're right, 11K meters deep.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    That's spoiled my day.

How can the Kraken fit in in only 11 kilometers.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean, like, air pressure? What differences are we talking about? I'm fairly sure you'd notice that you were surrounded by jagged black rocks.

I like how your hypothetical scenario is far less interesting than the necessary precondition of draining the ocean somehow. All of the geographical features on Earth amount to a smaller proportion of the overall size than the layer of film covering a globe, so I wouldn't imagine there would be any noticeable change.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    That's spoiled my day.

How can the Kraken fit in in only 11 kilometers.
    Most "gigantic" creatures of Myth like Kraken were at most a few hundred meters across. W69kmxH11kmxL2550km. I'm sure that is plenty of Room for our Lord and Saviour Cthulu.

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine the first thing I would notice is the air pressure squishing me.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Air pressure at sea level (average, @ 15C): 1atm = 101325 Pa
    Air pressure at sea level - 11km (15C): 2.67atm = 270550.28 Pa

But can you breath in air at that pressure? If you descend slowly and acclimate, you would feel the same as if you were on sea level.
    However, the amount of oxygen in the air with that much pressure...

Air contains about 20.9% oxygen, which at normal atmospheric pressure is equivalent to a partial oxygen pressure of 0.209 ata. While the human body can endure elevated PPO2 for some period of time, for sustained (indefinite) exposure, the PPO2 limit is about 0.48 ata, corresponding to an absolute pressure of about 2.3 atm.

You'd die of pulmonary oxygen toxicity.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how does that much higher air pressure feel on your skin... or how it affects your limb movement...

Ears would explode definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I wonder how does that much higher air pressure feel on your skin... or how it affects your limb movement...

Are we sure about that? Has anyone ever been that deep?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Are we sure about that? Has anyone ever been that deep?
    You don't need to go deep to test that...
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Divers are under pressure in water. It's something like an extra 1 atm of pressure per 10 meters. Remember that the pressure is supporting you from all sides (this is why you don't feel air pressure pushing down on you right now).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Divers are under pressure in water. It's something like an extra 1 atm of pressure per 10 meters. Remember that the pressure is supporting you from all sides (this is why you don't feel air pressure pushing down on you right now).
    At 11km below sea level you can't hardly call it "supporting" anymore. It's more like this:

At 11km below sea level you can't hardly call it "supporting" anymore. It's more like this:
    Kind of, except it would be crushing from all sides, not just down.

I think a person wouldn't be outright crushed in the OP's scenario, breahing would probably be difficult but manageable.. there would definitely be issues with oxygen density.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Air pressure at sea level (average, @ 15C): 1atm = 101325 Pa
    Air pressure at sea level - 11km (15C): 2.67atm = 270550.28 Pa

But can you breath in air at that pressure? If you descend slowly and acclimate, you would feel the same as if you were on sea level.
    However, the amount of oxygen in the air with that much pressure...

Air contains about 20.9% oxygen, which at normal atmospheric pressure is equivalent to a partial oxygen pressure of 0.209 ata. While the human body can endure elevated PPO2 for some period of time, for sustained (indefinite) exposure, the PPO2 limit is about 0.48 ata, corresponding to an absolute pressure of about 2.3 atm.

You'd die of pulmonary oxygen toxicity.
    would the removal of the Water from Earth also lead to Oxygen thinning out even at sea level as Air would need to fill a lot more Area?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Kind of, except it would be crushing from all sides, not just down.

I think a person wouldn't be outright crushed in the OP's scenario, breahing would probably be difficult but manageable.. there would definitely be issues with oxygen density.
    Considering a modern submarine gets crushed in under 1km depth.... the pressure at 11km is brutal (or should one say the pressure difference between the person and the atmosphere). No way human body can cope with that.

Just wondering whether someone actually knows what happens then. I'm 100% sure there have been lots of tests on the subject.