10+ Year Old Account

Need some feedback before i commit

Was just curious as to what y'all thought about this laptop and how WoW would run on it..

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834315815

I would say pretty badly, it's got a slow low power CPU (which is bad for wow) and integrated graphics, which are also far from great. Maybe with most settings on low it would run, would not advise raiding on this thing.

It's basically made to browse the internet and stream netflix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I would say pretty badly, it's got a slow low power CPU (which is bad for wow) and integrated graphics, which are also far from great. Maybe with most settings on low it would run, would not advise raiding on this thing.

It's basically made to browse the internet and stream netflix.
    I've had integrated graphics card on all of my laptops i've ever bought, never had a problem with them running WoW until they were just too old. Also about the CPU, It just came out in January of this year. I do know it's on the lower power side of processors but I wouldn't think that would necessarily be a killer for Wow. Hell my laptop now with 1.5 GHZ processor can run it now but its a bit choppy at times. So i don't really buy what you're saying about this laptop. Just seems like a rather biased point of view with the bias turned to video cards like NVidia and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    I've had integrated graphics card on all of my laptops i've ever bought, never had a problem with them running WoW until they were just too old. Also about the CPU, It just came out in January of this year. I do know it's on the lower power side of processors but I wouldn't think that would necessarily be a killer for Wow. Hell my laptop now with 1.5 GHZ processor can run it now but its a bit choppy at times. So i don't really buy what you're saying about this laptop. Just seems like a rather biased point of view with the bias turned to video cards like NVidia and such.
    Personally, I would be more worried about only 4GB of RAM in the laptop. Also, if you're just going to dismiss the guy's opinion, why did you even post in the first place? If you're that sure it'll be good for WoW, just buy it.

I wouldn't, but I've never had a really satisfactory experience with WoW on a laptop--no matter the resolution, for me the screen always feels cramped.

Kousoku of The Blueberry Brigade @ Uther | Mafia Record: T: 3/6 M: 4/5 SK: 0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KurenaiXIII View Post
    Personally, I would be more worried about only 4GB of RAM in the laptop. Also, if you're just going to dismiss the guy's opinion, why did you even post in the first place? If you're that sure it'll be good for WoW, just buy it.

I wouldn't, but I've never had a really satisfactory experience with WoW on a laptop--no matter the resolution, for me the screen always feels cramped.
    You can upgrade it to 32gb which is pretty easy. Also discussion isn't just taking a persons opinion for what it's worth, it's trying to understand it so one isn't misled or convinced to buy something they don't really need. Also maybe you could read the entire specs for the laptop before you bash on it and give bad advice. Tends to help more.

At the native 1920x1080 resolution, I would expect performance issues in raids (especially those exceeding 20 players) regardless of graphical settings. It would run, but very roughly. I would never expect greater than 30fps.

Were this laptop at 1366x768 the performance would be much better, but its not and the extra resolution will cost you. You will be able to salvage frame rate by running at a lower resolution or significantly lowering your 'render scale' setting under Advanced in the settings of WoW. This will of course have the side effect of making this much more blurry but the game may be more playable that way.

All this said, it is a sub-par laptop and by no means built to be capable of handling games. It will, but not well. It is likely an item that will need replacement to keep up with advancement quite soon.

If you are able to expand your budget, something like the following is much more likely to handle the game better(as well as other and newer games, which the laptop you are considering most likely will never be able to handle). You may also get an extra year or more out of it compared to the laptop you're considering.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834154497

Note: I also would never personally recommend purchasing a used or refurbished electronic item, as the chance of having issues goes up significantly and the warranties given on these items are far less than the product offers new. It is a huge risk. That said, its up to you if you wish to make it or not, just know what you're potentially getting yourself in to.

EDIT: Note 2: The reason I made the recommendation I did is that if you want to support 1080p gaming, a dedicated graphics card is nearly mandatory. On board graphics at that resolution is remarkably demanding on the CPU and WoW is already highly demanding of it as it is.
    Last edited by Desperado558; 2017-03-09 at 03:22 AM.

I have a similar laptop with an i3 than is 2gens behind his, and at 1366x768 (the res you should set games to) it is in the 30-45 FPS range on medium details in LFR. That was at the end of WoD when i tested it, but it was absolutely playable.

Its a good price for that even if it is refurbished, most in that range dont have a 1080p screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I have a similar laptop with an i3 than is 2gens behind his, and at 1366x768 (the res you should set games to) it is in the 30-45 FPS range on medium details in LFR. That was at the end of WoD when i tested it, but it was absolutely playable.

Its a good price for that even if it is refurbished, most in that range dont have a 1080p screen.
    Finally, a relevant point of view.. thanks! I saw some reviews on amazon about this laptop just now and it seems to run WoW just fine in the low settings thing which is what I always put WoW in anyway. I mean i don't need to see high definition trees and stuff, I just want to be able to play the game. That being said Amazon does have it brand new for 30$ more so I may go that route.

Finally, a relevant point of view.. thanks! I saw some reviews on amazon about this laptop just now and it seems to run WoW just fine in the low settings thing which is what I always put WoW in anyway. I mean i don't need to see high definition trees and stuff, I just want to be able to play the game. That being said Amazon does have it brand new for 30$ more so I may go that route.
    Ya for 30 bucks its worth for the year warranty. I think my laptop has hd 530 also, so yours will be even faster.

Well, like I said in my previous post, just don't expect to be able to play it even on low settings at 1080p. You will definitely have to downscale or lower the resolution on the game to get playable framerates even on the lowest graphical settings. Screen resolution has an absolutely massive impact on performance and the difference between 1366x768 and 1920x1080 is huge.

As stated before yes it will work, will it work well I don't think it will be great and I do think you will see some fps drops anytime you in any populated areas. Also don't really expect to run many ad-dons as it may also bog it down. And as for new v.s refurbished if its a $30 difference do new all the way.

With that said my 2 cents say wait a little longer if you can save up a little more, once you hit the ~500 range you can get a much much nicer laptop that will run alot of games. My current laptop: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-672-_-Product

Edit: Linked wrong laptop first time.
    Last edited by Ashurin; 2017-03-09 at 05:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashurin View Post
    As stated before yes it will work, will it work well I don't think it will be great and I do think you will see some fps drops anytime you in any populated areas. Also don't really expect to run many ad-dons as it may also bog it down. And as for new v.s refurbished if its a $30 difference do new all the way.

With that said my 2 cents say wait a little longer if you can save up a little more, once you hit the ~500 range you can get a much much nicer laptop that will run alot of games. My current laptop: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-672-_-Product

Edit: Linked wrong laptop first time.
    Never played with a dedicated graphics card, never had problems without one. Don't see the point in going that route now so I won't. That being said, the reviews on amazon that I saw said they were playing wow in med. settings getting around 30-45 fps even while raiding in LFR so i think i'll trust that more.

first of all, the age of a CPU has little to do with how well it will run a game.

Secondly wow is a CPU bound game and prefers CPU's with high IPC and high clockspeed which the one in your laptop is not (2.4 GHz 15 watt vs 4.5 GHz at 95 Watt on modern desktops just as a comparison and the desktops can't even keep 60 fps in this game all the time).

I also never said it would not run, it would just not run well (or at least not what I would consider well as in medium to high settings at 60 fps most of the time)

Now if you are ok with running at 25-30 fps in the open world and less then that in heavy populated area's or heavy fights at lowest settings go for it.

To me it seems you just look for the opinion of people who will agree with you which makes your question on this forum kind of useless, ultimatelly it's your money and if you want to waste it on a subpar machine for what it is intended to do, by all means go ahead.

I think you mean, finally a point of view that is what you wanted to hear. The other things posted were actually relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    first of all, the age of a CPU has little to do with how well it will run a game.

Secondly wow is a CPU bound game and prefers CPU's with high IPC and high clockspeed which the one in your laptop is not (2.4 GHz 15 watt vs 4.5 GHz at 95 Watt on modern desktops just as a comparison and the desktops can't even keep 60 fps in this game all the time).

I also never said it would not run, it would just not run well (or at least not what I would consider well as in medium to high settings at 60 fps most of the time)

Now if you are ok with running at 25-30 fps in the open world and less then that in heavy populated area's or heavy fights at lowest settings go for it.

To me it seems you just look for the opinion of people who will agree with you which makes your question on this forum kind of useless, ultimatelly it's your money and if you want to waste it on a subpar machine for what it is intended to do, by all means go ahead.
    Nope. I wanted people's opinions that new what they were talking about. I'm tired of hearing that the dedicated graphics card is better and everyone should always go with that because it's completely not true. But hey, you go ahead and think what you want to think about how I asked for people's opinions. Don't at all take the feedback i gave others about their feedback into account because I should just take people for what they say and not try to understand where they're coming from. I'm sure that will help everyone.

Will WoW run on it? Yes.

You will have to turn everything down though. I use to play on a laptop with an i3 and integrated graphics (while I was in school) and it played WoW just fine with everything turned down.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓