Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Israel moves to mute mosques' call to prayer over loudspeakers

https://www.yahoo.com/news/israel-mo...145347276.html

A law to muffle mosques' amplified calls to prayer in Israel and occupied East Jerusalem won preliminary approval on Wednesday in a charged parliamentary session where Arab legislators denounced the measure as racist.

Supporters of the bill say it is aimed at improving the quality of life of people living near mosques who have been losing sleep. The calls usually begin sounding a little before 5 A.M. through loudspeakers mounted on minarets

Opponents say the legislation, sponsored by right-wing parties, impinges on the religious freedom of Israel's Muslim minority. Arabs make up almost 20 percent of the population and have long complained of discrimination.

Two versions of law won initial approval and will go to committee for further discussion before any final vote in parliament, in what could be a lengthy process.

"You are committing a racist act," said Ahmed Tibi, an Arab lawmaker, told supporters of the legislation.

The proposed law refers in general terms to "houses of worship", but it has been dubbed the "muezzin law" by the Israeli media, referring to the man who chants the Muslim call to prayer.

One of the bills would ban a summons to worship via loudspeakers between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. That would effectively mute one of the five daily calls emanating from mosques. The second proposal would bar amplification in residential areas at all hours and impose a 10,000 shekel ($2,700) fine for violations.

"This is a social-minded law that aims to protect citizens' sleep, without, God-forbid, harming anyone's religious faith," legislator Motti Yogev, one of the bill's sponsors, said during a debate punctuated by shouting matches between the bill's backers and detractors.

Tzipi Livni, a leader of the center-left Zionist Union party and a former foreign minister, said "proud Israelis" should join together in opposing legislation that would only "spread hate and ignite tensions" between Muslims and Jews.

During the heated debate, Arab legislator Atman Ode rose from his seat, with a copy of the bill in his hands. "This law will not be implemented, I am tearing it up," he said, as pieces of paper fell to the floor. He was ejected from the chamber.

Israel has said it is committed to protecting the religious rights of all faiths and battling discrimination against its Arab citizens. But Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sparked outrage during a 2015 election when he urged his supporters to go to the polls because Arabs were "voting in droves."

Under the proposed law, East Jerusalem, which Israel captured in the 1967 Middle East war and annexed in a move that is not recognized internationally, would be included in the ban.

But since the measure covers only residential areas, al-Aqsa mosque, Islam's third holiest site and located in a religious compound in Jerusalem's walled Old City, would be exempt.

So, rational expectation for people to not have to hear someone screaming at them five times a day? Or brutal racist attack on Muslims in Israel?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post

So, rational expectation for people to not have to hear someone screaming at them five times a day? Or brutal racist attack on Muslims in Israel?
    Ever have a neighbor who's alarm clock goes off at 5 in the morning on your day off? And it's really thin walls? And it goes for like 30 minutes.

And then it happens the next day, and you don't have to be up until 10am?

And then it happens the next day?

And then it happens for the foreseeable future?

I'm surprised that people haven't been murdered over this shit.

The first one, quite obviously.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Deleted
    i actually like hearing it its not that loud even if you're close, and during ramadan it signals the moment when you are allowed to eat

also its pretty clear that it is only aimed a riling up muslims

"people losing sleep" lol nice one israel

10+ Year Old Account
    How are the speakers any more annoying than other minor city life annoyances?

Everyone can see through the motion.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Why didn't they just restrict the hours it could be broadcast? This is really stupid. Make it only allowable between 8 AM and 8 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Why didn't they just restrict the hours it could be broadcast? This is really stupid. Make it only allowable between 8 AM and 8 PM.
    There are two bills being debated, one is essentially what you mentioned.

One of the bills would ban a summons to worship via loudspeakers between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. That would effectively mute one of the five daily calls emanating from mosques. The second proposal would bar amplification in residential areas at all hours and impose a 10,000 shekel ($2,700) fine for violations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    i actually like hearing it its not that loud even if you're close, and during ramadan it signals the moment when you are allowed to eat

Come over and live in a mixed city or near an Arab Muslim village, where they intentionally face the loudspeakers towards the areas where Jews reside and crank up the volume to an ear shredding levels.

Glad it finally passed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Noise pollution is an issue in many countries. Israel wouldn't be the first to put noise control into legal code.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    Come over and live in a mixed city or near an Arab Muslim village, where they intentionally face the loudspeakers towards the areas where Jews reside and crank up the volume to an ear shredding levels.

Glad it finally passed.
    honestly i only doubt the motives because it comes from israel, in any other case i'd say meh whatever

you hear police sirens 24/7 in NYC and no one complains

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    >People still think things done towards a Religious group is Racism.

Oh lawdy lawdy.

Deleted

"Neighbour's alarm clock".. yeah, sure... no thanks
    Last edited by mmoc744a9bccb6; 2017-03-09 at 10:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

...? I have herd it as well and it's one of the most jarring things to ever wake one from slumber. Admittedly I was visiting relatives at the time, so i'm not used to that kind of thing, but still having one down the block was very... VERY noticeable for the 5 days I was there...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    ...? I have herd it as well and it's one of the most jarring things to ever wake one from slumber. Admittedly I was visiting relatives at the time, so i'm not used to that kind of thing, but still having one down the block was very... VERY noticeable for the 5 days I was there...
    well obviously it all depends on the local laws regarding volume and who's singing

someone above linked a muezzin from germany and the guy is terrible, mostly cause he's young

where were you ?

15+ Year Old Account
    There are two bills being debated, one is essentially what you mentioned.

The hour restrictions makes perfect sense.

Outright banning it doesn't.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumzum View Post

Neighbour's alarm clock.. yeah, sure... no thanks
    Well that was ear rapping. I wouldnt mind if they change it. Or do it like cristains with church bells.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post

Glad it finally passed.
    I wouldn't be surprised, that happens everywhere where they think they can get away with it and to everyone not inclusive to their faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    >People still think things done towards a Religious group is Racism.

Oh lawdy lawdy.
    Only the fascists, eh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    The hour restrictions makes perfect sense.

Outright banning it doesn't.
    Banning amplification =/= banning the prayer call.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzum View Post

Yeah... no thanks
    Yeah, this is part of why I'm biased on this issue. Being Greek, hearing the taqbeer and whatnot are not only noisy, it's also a culturally problematic issue.

I'm not sure how folks in Paris, London, Berlin, etc feel about it, but in Athens, Belgrade, Bucharest, Sofia, and many other predominantly non-Muslim cities in the Balkans the Call to Prayer was heard for centuries whether the locals wanted it or not, due to them being under the boot of Islamic rulers until the 19th/early 20th century. That's part of the reason Athens has only just recently allowed a new mosque to be built, in a less populated district. So in a cultural sense I'm against allowing the Call to Prayer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupimus View Post
    Only the fascists, eh.
    Always funny when righties think fascism is left on the political scale. Heh.

Banning amplification =/= banning the prayer call.
    What decibels are we talking about then? Can the broadcast be heard from 100 feet? 10 feet?

10+ Year Old Account
    well obviously it all depends on the local laws regarding volume and who's singing

someone above linked a muezzin from germany and the guy is terrible, mostly cause he's young

where were you ?
    Funny enough at the time I was also in Germany, or to be more specific Munich staying with an aunt.