Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Vanilla players 2005 vs 2017

Hi I am wondering this thing for a loooong time: How would you play Vanilla if it reset/you could travel in time with current knowledge(only applies to WOW!)/play on some "legacy" legit Blizz server - something like Runescape hc super non casual servers which name i forgot? I sometimes read/watch things from prospective and i always wanted to know if it still would be: warriors: tanks only (dps later)/shamans: resto ftw/Balance druid? WAT? Or our current knowledge of things, micro management and other shit would change it and we would discover some pretty sweet specs or combinations of classes.

Deleted
    /unsub

Seriously, the game was a mess on release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic WoW was a mess, and I would not play it. Only reason WoW felt so great back then was the sense of exploration, and the sense of something new and fresh.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cerunnir View Post
    Classic WoW was a mess, and I would not play it. Only reason WoW felt so great back then was the sense of exploration, and the sense of something new and fresh.
    with a statement like that you either 1 Not a gamer or 2 did not ever experience classic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lokoma View Post
    with a statement like that you either 1 Not a gamer or 2 did not ever experience classic
    I happen to agree with him. Looking back at what wow was comparing it to what it has become, it was a total and utter cluster fuck.
    I would, knowing what I know now, certainly not kept playing it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Given what we are offered now over 2005 in terms of:
    - story progression
    - story telling mechanics
    - boss mechanics
    - character progression options
    - quality of life improvements

Quit in a heartbeat.

Vanilla was amazing for it's time, but times have changed and the game is better for it.

That's your opinion, I've played since the closed alpha (File Planet Founder's Club invitee), and I played hardcore, the WoW is much better now than then.
    Last edited by Hottage; 2017-03-09 at 11:37 AM.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    I made a character within the first hour of WoW opening its servers, and have played every single expansion since then. I raided up to and including classic Naxxramas, and cleared everything up to that (MC/BWL/ZG/AQ20&40). I've been a gamer for near 30 years now, ever since I played pong on my father computer when I was 6 years old. I own two gaming computers, one which is hooked up to a 100 inch screen in my living room. Gaming is literally my only hobby.

For its time classic was wasn't really "a mess". But compared to how it is today, it definatly was a mess.
    Last edited by Cerunnir; 2017-03-09 at 11:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I already can't bring myself to level a second character to max level because I get bored. Knowing I have to level on foot until level 40, everything taking ages and other stuff, I would probably give it a try, because I missed most of the raids back in the day and would really like to see them at an appropriate level, but I would probably get bored in the level 30-40 level range, because I hate all zones in that level range (Desolace, Arathi, 1k needles - Strangle can't really be started until the late 30s).

Other than that, I would do none of the mistakes I did back then. I would just follow a guide instead of putting points into things I like, I would level fishing and cooking alongside my toon, I wouldn't read a single questtext because I already know all of them (and it takes long enough without reading), would start saving gold around level 20-25 for the 40 mount etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I happen to agree with him. Looking back at what wow was comparing it to what it has become, it was a total and utter cluster fuck.
    I would, knowing what I know now, certainly not kept playing it.
    I also agree with Cerunnir. The only thing i would add is the sense of danger. Walking around in the world, and aggroing something was potentially dangerous. Now it's just an annoyance if you get dazed. I think that is actually what i miss from the old days. And aggro-management in raids.

Would i play the vanilla game now with the knowledge i have today? No, certainly not.

I like Paladins, but also am Horde - so that would disallow my favorite class. I'd be pissed because I have to walk to lv 40. I'd be pissed because specc changes cost so much and my second favorite class / specc is healing as a priest. With the knowledge of today, too many things would feel clumsy because I have already been "spoled" by 12 years of QoL improvements

10+ Year Old Account
    Or, maybe it was you who never played from the beginning except the precious Vanilla servers people have claimed are so great. I, too have played the game since it was in its Alpha and given the choice today, wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. Like others said, it was a very different time back then. WoW was shiny and new, and coming from EverQuest (and other games at the time), it was a a breath of fresh air and less time consuming. If it were released today, I doubt it'd be anywhere near successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree with the general consensus here, would not want to go through most of what I went through in vanilla. wouldn't mind seeing some of the earlier iterations of talent trees back tho.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think YOU did man because he's more or less right.. I also don't think its a coincidence that the 1 person without at least a 5 year badge says something this stupid.

Deleted
    Stop to play in a second.

I'd quit the game.
    Vanilla was fun back then but I would not like to play it now.

Deleted
    He is right, though. The game was good back then, but I wouldn't want to go back to - or play - it nowadays.

15+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla was amazing for the time.. But I would not want to play it again.. Leveling was slow and boring.. As were most classes.. There was no good flow unless you followed a guide like Joanas.. Also some classes for leveling were a pain.. I levelled both a Pally and Priest almost AFK because they were so slow.. Preist Wand spec..

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    I already can't bring myself to level a second character to max level because I get bored. Knowing I have to level on foot until level 40, everything taking ages and other stuff, I would probably give it a try, because I missed most of the raids back in the day and would really like to see them at an appropriate level, but I would probably get bored in the level 30-40 level range, because I hate all zones in that level range (Desolace, Arathi, 1k needles - Strangle can't really be started until the late 30s).

Other than that, I would do none of the mistakes I did back then. I would just follow a guide instead of putting points into things I like, I would level fishing and cooking alongside my toon, I wouldn't read a single questtext because I already know all of them (and it takes long enough without reading), would start saving gold around level 20-25 for the 40 mount etc.
    Get the Heirloom mount?

If I could play with the people I played with then I'd give it a go. If not then hell no.

I actually quit in Vanilla, but returned in TBC, so I guess I'd quit again, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkhs View Post
    If I could play with the people I played with then I'd give it a go. If not then hell no.
    Boss mechanics from vanilla WoW would feel laughably easy now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    Get the Heirloom mount?
    In Vanilla?