Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    https://clips.twitch.tv/OutstandingY...EagleJKanStyle

:thinking:

does any1 think this is fine lmao?
    Even better than the Archimonde one !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Too bad they can't design ui elements themselves that don't cause cancer.
    I have been using the default nameplates since I started playing the game in 2005, and I have yet to "get cancer" because of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    I have been using the default nameplates since I started playing the game in 2005, and I have yet to "get cancer" because of them.
    its not that bad for enemy nameplates, but for friendly nameplates its awful.
    I actually like playing with friendly namepaltes while healthbars are disabled because it gave you a WAY better overview of where people are standing, not necessarily to dodge a mechanic thats on them but from a raidleader POV, but unless blizzard gives us the option to atleast remove the healthbar I won't be using that anymore.

btw there's still another way to do this stuff other than nameplates and radars and you will most likely see that happen in ToS and blizzard removing it for 7.3

there is so much people asking for name-only class color in blizzard UI, if they ignore this its really shitting on the players because is clearly a logical UI improvement and easy to do

all the code its there, is at max a 3-5 minutes work to add the option in UI and adding the if/else on their code

i know from posts here that they're considering it but we all know how that word is for them, 99% of the times are ignored or making the things even worse

looking forward for their next thing, let me try to guess. The () part is blizzard :P

1. if they want to go full house to disable spell_aura_applied/removed info and unitdebuff/unitaura retrieval and taking with it raid frames addons dispel tracking (hmm many healers will complain, better think of something else)

2. only triggering spell_aura_applied for spells that can be dispelled (nice, maintain raid frames addons and healers happy, oh... many says "Spell x on me" from non dispelled spell will not work for DBM/BigWigs displays, its a minor problem and will be immersion!!)

3. hmmm IsItemInRange still works for building a radar and for near you warnings (better do the same thing as unitposition to kill completely this, again immersion like we blizzard like it )

4. well nameplates icons and circles can still be made on enemyplates (they're using this for priority adds and using this to bypass the difficulty on x boss ability that they need to be x yards apart. They should be using our limited 8 icons and again we need to kill IsItemInRange to remove tank to tank distances and also better kill any draw on enemyplates, only shadow priests and warlocks really care about this for dots, so not really a problem :P)

.... its sunday, time to kill, will be fun if some of it will happen :P
    Last edited by Spike`; 2017-03-05 at 09:39 PM.

Is this surprising after the way they were used on Mythic Star Augur?

How were they used on Star Augur? Blizzards default UI puts markers above your head. The other variation (red and green chevron) hardly makes it any easier. The markers are easy to find, the difficulty is in multiple people running to the same point and crossing over each other and the third set of conjunction in fel / void phases as they occur with other, equally difficult, mechanics.

13/13M / 10hr / US 55 / NOW RECRUITING!

Quote Originally Posted by Reloe View Post
    btw there's still another way to do this stuff other than nameplates and radars and you will most likely see that happen in ToS and blizzard removing it for 7.3
    You mean what zork has been working on for a while? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I don't care for world first raiders. In 4 out of 4 of the last raids blizzard has responded to top end strategies by adding restrictions that affect the entire player base. Normally it's true when people say what other people do in the game doesn't affect you. In the case of world first competitors this has been proven false too many times.

That isn't really fair though. The blame should go to Blizzard. A poster on the US forums had this to say:

This "addon arms race" approach is not sustainable, and is not good for the game. You have an API; if history teaches us anything, it's that the legion (heh) of enthusiastic players with software development backgrounds will collectively produce an endless stream of novel solutions to trivializing any mechanic that depends on concealing information. The problem is not the addons. The problem is that in a game like WoW, with an open interface API, boss mechanics that boil down to "communicate within your team quickly and effectively that you are dangerous" are not viable mechanics. I shouldn't need an addon to effectively know that standing next to Bob is going to get me killed. If an addon is helping with that, it's because your art design is failing to communicate that information.

I think he\she is right. Blizzard designs mechanics that rely on a lack of transparency in order to make them challenging. The only alternative they seem to see is making mechanics that have very short response times. Both of these approaches to making mechanics challenging are countered and intended to be countered by addons. It's no secret that Blizzard assumes you have some. Boss timers are assumed. WA is assumed. Bizarrely an AH addon is assumed because Blizzard doesn't feel like fixing something they don't have to... Blizzard leans on the addon authors pretty hard to complete the game in a sense and add requested QoL fixes for a lot of people, but they are at odds with that same community at the same time.

It would be interesting to see addon authors step away for a while. I think you would see the biggest Blizzard knee-jerk ever really quickly.
    Last edited by Gevoth; 2017-03-05 at 10:59 PM. Reason: more to add...

I think Blizzard were more concerned about Exorsus's and alike addons (circles and lines) than debuff displaying addons (like NameplateAuras and Kui getting info from bossmods).

Good examples besides mentioned here Augur.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AveragePhila...nDoubleRainbow

https://clips.twitch.tv/NiceBoldSalamanderOSsloth

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow91 View Post
    How were they used on Star Augur? Blizzards default UI puts markers above your head. The other variation (red and green chevron) hardly makes it any easier. The markers are easy to find, the difficulty is in multiple people running to the same point and crossing over each other and the third set of conjunction in fel / void phases as they occur with other, equally difficult, mechanics.
    Someone already posted exactly how:
    https://clips.twitch.tv/OutstandingY...EagleJKanStyle

Deleted
    So, after going through the entire thread. Am I the only one who just doesn't have friendly nameplates showing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fennekiin View Post
    So, after going through the entire thread. Am I the only one who just doesn't have friendly nameplates showing?
    Almost no one uses them because, by default, they're absolute garbage. But since Kui, it's become more common to use them because there's a name only mode. Here's a screenshot from earlier in the thread for what I'm talking about.

It's super clean and is legible from any distance from the character, unlike the normal shitty names. Plus, it makes calling out baddies in raid easier because you can actual see the names above them.
    And, btw, those are actual full on health bars. The names will grey out their missing health and, if enabled, will show debuffs/buffs above their name. They're not meant to heal from, but they're meant to be legible names with easy to find debuffs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    It's super clean and is legible from any distance from the character, unlike the normal shitty names. Plus, it makes calling out baddies in raid easier because you can actual see the names above them.
    And, btw, those are actual full on health bars. The names will grey out their missing health and, if enabled, will show debuffs/buffs above their name. They're not meant to heal from, but they're meant to be legible names with easy to find debuffs.
    I still wouldn't use it though. That's why I am asking. I don't live in the pug world because I cba dealing with it. So I have a fairly static group and I know who is who without needing a nameplate telling me who they are. I can easily see debuffs/etc from the raid frames.

Maybe my experiences are just different in that regard. I just don't find it useful.

Yeah, you also don't need a porsche cause the speed limit is only 40.
    But it does look 10x better than your Renault.