Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Mythical races you want to see that aren't in-game/lore?

What mythical being (not represented in Warcraft) would you like to see represented in-game or in-lore?

Personally I would be interested in Blizzard's take on some Japanese mythical creatures considering that Kaldorei are at least partially based on Japanese/Shinto culture. One race that I think that could fit into WoW really well would be tengu as an alternative bird race to harpies or arrakoa

Maybe make them similar to worgen, descendants of night elves transformed by druidic magic.

Merfolk are another race that could be interesting, especially with the idea of a South Seas expansion. Interestingly enough in Ulduar, images of merfolk are depicted on the walls.

I could imagine merfolk in Warcraft being descendants Titan constructs designed to shape the waters of Azeroth alongside sea giants, being affected by the Curse of Flesh.

Actually the races I was always big fan off were already kinda sorta implemented in game.

I was always a big fan of genies, and there are 4 noted ones that appears in Uldum which are servants of Al'Akir. However, there is nothing truly remarkable about them, no story no true identity, nothing. It's just fancy looking mob, that has brief sketch written in Dungeon Journal. But then again I highly doubt there will be Genie that could surpass in terms of story Solymr ibn Wali Barad.

Another race that I was fan of are Lizardmen and they're kinda reflected in the race of Saurok, thanks to the Lorewalkers faction and many quests they're in far better position than race mentioned above (although I guess those genies aren't really race but sort of elemental?), there was interesting story behind their creation, and they're truly unpredictable that makes them fun. But somehow the other reptilions in other fantasy games had more personality about them, but it could be just me.

And does Dark Trolls count? They're kinda in lore but they never appeared in WoW, they were kinda sorta retconned two times already and I wonder if and how they'd be portrayed.

If it comes to me, I'd create race called Frogling. Something cute like Podling only made out of frog and not bloodthristy flower
    Last edited by Ramz; 2017-03-10 at 03:40 AM.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    Actually the races I was always big fan off were already kinda sorta implemented in game.

I was always a big fan of genies, and there are 4 noted ones that appears in Uldum which are servants of Al'Akir. However, there is nothing truly remarkable about them, no story no true identity, nothing. It's just fanscy looking mob, that has brief sketch written in Dungeon Journal. But then again I hoigly doubt there will be Genie that could surpass in terms of story Solymr ibn Wali Barad.

Another races that I was fan off are Lizardmen and they're kinda reflected in the race of Saurok, thanks to the Lorewalkers faction and many quests they're in far better position than race mentioned above (although I guess those genies aren't really race but sort of elemental?), there was interesting story behind their creation, and they're truly unpredictable that makes them fun. But somehow the other reptilions in other fantasy games had more personality about them, but it could be just me.

And does Dark Trolls count? They're kinda in lore but they never appeared in WoW, they were kinda sorta retconned two times already and I wonder if and how they'd be portrayed.

If it comes to me, I'd create race called Frogling. Something cute like Podling only made out of frog and not bloodthristy flower
    Dark trolls are definitely something that would be cool to see, especially if Blizzard ever plans on updating the old world zones again to show a healed post-Cata Azeroth or just implementing a Barrows Deep zone.

Dark Trolls. Yes. I'd love to see those implemented in the game. Barrow Deep should have been a dungeon or questing area ages ago, same with the Cave of the Oracle, but that one isn't even referenced any more.

Whilst they've been in the games before, I'd like to see more Centaurs. They felt like a real threat in WC3 lore wise. They were in Vanilla, most notably in the Desolace chain, but had pretty much no impact. And now they've faded into obscurity. I would love to see uber high level bands of Centaur running around the Barrens and Desolace, chopping up any players or mobs they pass. Or maybe some of them could try and take control of Maraudon? That could be interesting.

Maybe it's just me, but I was a little sad how poorly utilised they were in Vanilla and then got lumped in with the rest of the generic mobs. These guys were a threat to the Tauren. Not like Murlocs harassing human villages, these guys were serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Trolls are in the game... Or rather, they were..
    There was a group of dancing Dark Trolls on the border of Moonglade and Felwood.

However, lore states, that the Dark Trolls were the only ones, who answered the Night Elves plea for aid in Mount Hyjal (during Cataclysm), but the fighting killed off all of the Dark Trolls, so now they are extinct..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    A proper bear-people race, not the hunchbacked furbolgs, and not the fat pandas.

I like the idea of Merfolk, especially because we might see an Atlantis-esque underwater city which would be really neat.

Fae people would also be really neat, I really liked the Kingdoms of Amalur approach to the fae, where they aren't just Tinkerbelle pixies with wings.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2017-03-08 at 10:39 AM.

Changeling. Both "Kid kidnapped by Fae" and "The Replacement Fairy Child" are cool.

Sub-races imo. I don't want new races.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    However, lore states, that the Dark Trolls were the only ones, who answered the Night Elves plea for aid in Mount Hyjal (during Cataclysm), but the fighting killed off all of the Dark Trolls, so now they are extinct..
    In WoW Magazine Brann Bronzebeard mentined that not all caves were searched, so there is still a chance that they are alive. Besides, LOL Trolls were meant to be extremely hard to kill, and yet Blizzard proves otherwise with all those twists and quests. When they kill plenty of them offsceen like that.

I believe that there should be Dark trolls but away from Hyjal, (there was just one tribe - Shadow Tooth), and according to retconned lore Dark Trolls had few colonies in various spots in current Kalimdor. <- as it was first retcon, another retcon was from enormous, terrifying but kinda dumb beast into not so dumb, nature-oriented hippie, and I guess not so big. <- retcon I don't want to see. Jezus... Hippie troll... no.

But you see I'm not really gonna wait for that. Legion burned out all my tiniest expectations. And I believe that even if something troll related would appear - then they'd once again be turned into villain, and not a neutral race to learn something about during questing, something that gives insight into their culture, motives, backstory and not just "they're evil, we must attack!".

So many years of constructing feedback and they can't even bother the damn braid, let alone do something brain demanding and think of a decent story for them (and to be fair, not just for them).
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Speaking about tengus how about race of playable momijis ?

Then we can have wolfgirls that don't look like they were dropped and curbstomped at birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Sub-races imo. I don't want new races.
    We already have subraces for most races, they just aren't playable. We're not talking playable races, but mobs and NPC quest-givers.

10+ Year Old Account

Horde

It'd really love a DAoC troll style race to come along. They seem like giant rock golems.

Males here

Females here.
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

Deleted
    Race-combos as we have seen with the living Windrunners having children with Humans, though the models in-game are Blood/High elfs, but more combos that could have their own models, but of course in certain limits of combos, since biology? Myself would love to see a Troll-orc combo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Dark trolls are definitely something that would be cool to see, especially if Blizzard ever plans on updating the old world zones again to show a healed post-Cata Azeroth or just implementing a Barrows Deep zone.
    Dark trolls evolved into Night elfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Felmourn View Post
    It'd really love a DAoC troll style race to come along. They seem like giant rock golems.
    Drogbar are pretty much a stylised version of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kennedy View Post
    Dark Trolls. Yes. I'd love to see those implemented in the game. Barrow Deep should have been a dungeon or questing area ages ago, same with the Cave of the Oracle, but that one isn't even referenced any more.

Whilst they've been in the games before, I'd like to see more Centaurs. They felt like a real threat in WC3 lore wise. They were in Vanilla, most notably in the Desolace chain, but had pretty much no impact. And now they've faded into obscurity. I would love to see uber high level bands of Centaur running around the Barrens and Desolace, chopping up any players or mobs they pass. Or maybe some of them could try and take control of Maraudon? That could be interesting.

Maybe it's just me, but I was a little sad how poorly utilised they were in Vanilla and then got lumped in with the rest of the generic mobs. These guys were a threat to the Tauren. Not like Murlocs harassing human villages, these guys were serious.
    I enjoy centaurs too, they were always this cool mix of Hun/Zulu that were always interesting to run into when I was leveling a Horde toon.

I think it would be cool if they had an event where centaur attempt to sack Thunderbluff or Orgrimmar, kind of like with the pre-expansion event with Legion.

I would like a faction of centaurs that is more similar to greek mythology centaur, rather than the low IQ stinkfest that they are.
    I also support more sentient marine races. There has to be something intelligent down there besides naga, faceless ones and Markrura if they even count. (Are those gilbins intelligent?)

Not a race, but individual. Typhon. The mightiest monster in Greek mythology has surprisingly sporadic portrayal in fantasy. The only thing that comes to mind is God of War II, where Typhon for some reason is one of the Titans and not his glorious self.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kennedy View Post
    Drogbar are pretty much a stylised version of these.
    Mmmm, somewhat.

Drogbar have facial hair and skin with some rocks textures on the shoulders and back. They also look very troll like with the tusks and large ears, as seen below.

And

Also the DAoC Trolls aren't another hunched over race(please add a slider for postures Blizz )
    Last edited by Felmourn; 2017-03-10 at 01:45 AM. Reason: a word
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

I'd like to see a dryad race, as in mythological tree-people, not the dryads we already have in WoW who are basically elegant centaurs. (Like how wyverns in WoW are actually manticores. Man, what is with Blizzard and jumbling the names of mythological creatures?)

Basically what I want is something like the Botani if they had females and a more fleshed-out lore and personality.