Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Saunas don't use dry air and the majority of people use them at 80C... soo, yeah.
    Saunas don't use dry air?

I go to sauna like once or twice a week. I heat it up to 100C. And it's definitely DRY before I throw water on the stones. It's not going to damage you in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The scenario is there's no water on Earth. You walk to the bottom of the Marianas Trench which is 43mi or about 69km below sea level. Do you notice a difference?

Oh, was looking at the width it's 11,034 metres (36,201 ft) deep.
    I can't get down there.
    No one can. Bad scenario.
    Or, is the ocean gone? But here too, gotta ignore facts...
    The answer in that case would be: Highly likely not.
    The closer you get to the core, the lower the impact of gravity. But I doubt that 11km make enough difference to notice it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Unless you're saunaing in a desert the air isn't dry.
    Are you saying the air during winter in Finland isn't dry? Come on.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Are you saying the air during winter in Finland isn't dry? Come on.
    You guys confusing things..

Humidity / relative humidity..
    Saunas operate at approx. 20% relative humidity, before you throw water into the mix manually to raise that level.
    There literally is no such thing as entirely dry air. A certain percentage always exists, sans extreme artificially created conditions.

There's a science fiction author that I idolize that actually tackles this topic on a few of his fictional planets. One of them has a giant plateau 40 KM tall, where the atmosphere is breathable on the top of the plateau but toxic to humanity on the actual planet surface. The second one is a martian type planet where a war happened. They used a gigantic space weapon that made a trench twelve miles deep and thirty miles wide. The normally unbreathable atmosphere fell down into the trench and made it habitable for humanity.

Both of these planets aren't exactly the situation you are talking about, just sharing some memories of great books that struck me with the same idea.

By the way, the post a few back struck it. You'd die of oxygen poisoning at the bottom of the trench if there was no water. The atmosphere that existed would fill the gap left by the water, and would thicken at the bottom of the ocean trenches. If water was replaced with air, the same thing would happen, only more so. Walking at the bottom would be possible in a pressure suit, but not naked.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You guys confusing things..

Humidity / relative humidity..
    Saunas operate at approx. 20% relative humidity, before you throw water into the mix manually to raise that level.
    There literally is no such thing as entirely dry air. A certain percentage always exists, sans extreme artificially created conditions.
    Of course we weren't talking about some artificial 0% humidity air. Or at least I wasn't.

The indoor air is around 10-20% relative humidity during winter. That is dry air. It's at the same level or lower than the air commonly on deserts.

Deleted
    Saunas don't use dry air?

I go to sauna like once or twice a week. I heat it up to 100C. And it's definitely DRY before I throw water on the stones. It's not going to damage you in any way.
    Sauna's are never dry air. If you would breath in 100C air with 0% humidity your lungs would be scorched every inhale.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course we weren't talking about some artificial 0% humidity air. Or at least I wasn't.

The indoor air is around 10-20% relative humidity during winter. That is dry air. It's at the same level or lower than the air commonly on deserts.
    Dry air is 0% humidity not 10-20%. You are thinking about the weather classification, we are talking about the scientific classification.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Sauna's are never dry air. If you would breath in 100C air with 0% humidity your longs would be scorched every inhale.
    There is no 0% humidity air on this planet so such scenario is entirely theoretical.

- - - Updated - - -

Dry air is 0% humidity not 10-20%. You are thinking about the weather classification, we are talking about the scientific classification.
    No, we aren't. You, might be.

The word dry air was used in conjunction with going to the sauna or living on desert.

It's actually kind of frightening how much our bodies are adapted to a specific mix of oxygen, nitrogen, and other trace gases. Fiddle with the mixture more than just slightly leads to poisoning or lack of one of the other elements.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Deleted
    There's knowledge here beyond me.

I would have assumed without the water in place, the "sea level" would drop 11km and our comfort zone with it. i.e. our air pressure becomes whatever it is currently 11km up.

So if someone doesn't mind explaining it, why is that not the case?

Thanks.

Deleted
    There is no 0% humidity air on this planet so such scenario is entirely theoretical.

- - - Updated - - -

No, we aren't. You, might be.

The word dry air was used in conjunction with going to the sauna or living on desert.
    Ever been to the Sahara? I have, 5-10% humidity at most and 50°C minimum temperatures.

Why you think they force us to wear a Shemagh? Why do you think we made it wet?

1. To keep your head and face cool.
    2. Preserve bodily fluids.
    3. Prevent inhaling direct hot air which is likely to dehydrate you because the body needs to use a lot of fluids to keep your lungs cooled down.

If you already have to do this at 50°C then you'll surely need far more protection at 100°C because at that heat, in the open world, it's likely there will be virtually no humidity making the conditions around 3 times worse in general.

-

Saunas in my country have a humidity requirement of at least 35%. So no I highly doubt you have even been close to the conditions of a desert, in a sauna, not even if the Sauna was set to 100°C.
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2017-03-09 at 01:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post

I would have assumed without the water in place, the "sea level" would drop 11km and our comfort zone with it. i.e. our air pressure becomes whatever it is currently 11km up.

Thanks.
    The primary physical impact is gravity.
    Now, some people think that the closer you get to the core, the higher the gravity becomes. Since magnetism..
    But that's outright false.
    The closer to the core, the less gravity. In the very center, gravity is 0 basically.
    11km closer might result in being able to jump an inch further or something like that. Pretty sure there's a formula that could be applied.
    As for the air pressure. That's outright impossible to determine.
    IF the oceans were gone, our atmosphere would be gone too essentially. Or at least severely changed - think Mars and it's conditions.
    To remove a key component of what creates our air, while pretending we still got the same air, that makes no sense, not even in a fictional scenario.

The primary physical impact is gravity.
    Now, some people think that the closer you get to the core, the higher the gravity becomes. Since magnetism..
    But that's outright false.
    The closer to the core, the less gravity. In the very center, gravity is 0 basically.
    Actually, the acceleration due to gravity increases slightly as you get closer to the Earth's core (and then of course drops to zero at the center of the Earth.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Now this is most definitely not true.

You haven't been to a sauna?
    Haven't you?

Ever brought something metallic in with you?
    Have you noticed that said metal gets very hot when it lies around on its own, but if you keep it flush against your skin you won't burn yourself?
    Ever thought why that is?

The body protects itself against heat by creating a film of cooler air around itself (and more but this is the most important part here) which isulates the skin against the hot air around it.
    So unless you are dead and dried out like a piece of stone the temperature the sauna creates doens't reach you in full, but you lose water and energy keeping yourself cool.
    The same happens with the air you breathe in, but it does not work instantly thus the advice not to take in big gulps of air but to breathe slowly through your nose.

So this is the part about the hot air.

But if you ever were in a sauna before maybe you noticed all that wood they use to build them?
    Despite the fact that wood absorbs sweat and is hard to clean?
    Why do you suppose they do not use stone or metal?

Because wood conducts less heat per time into your skin and thus won't overcome your skin's ability to disperse heat like stone would at that temperature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Cthulhu is considered to be a mountain tall... tallest mountain 9+ kilometers... plenty of space.
    Did ou measure the heigth of that mountain from the deepest point between it and any other mountain of similar or greater height, though, or did you simply use sea level as comparison? Remember sea level does not exist without water on Earth :P
    (So the talles mountain would be at least 20km above the floor of the Marianas Trench. I don't think that would fit.)

- - - Updated - - -

A certain percentage always exists, sans extreme artificially created conditions.
    In the scenario bresented to us there is, because one of the points was there is no water on earth.
    So obviously you wouldn't notice a difference because your body would not contain any water to satisfy all the conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post

Thanks.
    Because the profile of the Earth is (a bit) more ragged further down and thus the volume of the air would extend higher up from it's lowest point.
    (This is an assumption, I didn't check the exact profile and how high up in the atmosphere the floor of the trench would end up.

- - - Updated - - -

That effect is not linear and we stay too far away from the core for it to make a real difference anyway (due to the non-linearity).
    Keep in mind that the core is denser than the crust (which would include air volume at the height we are discussing, if the ocean was gone).

15+ Year Old Account
    Ever been to the Sahara?
    Yes. In Egypt. I had no issues with the humidity.

I have, 5-10% humidity at most and 50°C minimum temperatures.

Why you think they force us to wear a Shemagh? Why do you think we made it wet?

1. To keep your head and face cool.
    2. Preserve bodily fluids.
    3. Prevent inhaling direct hot air which is likely to dehydrate you because the body needs to use a lot of fluids to keep your lungs cooled down.

If you already have to do this at 50°C then you'll surely need far more protection at 100°C because at that heat, in the open world, it's likely there will be virtually no humidity making the conditions around 3 times worse in general.
    You don't understand the difference between staying 30mins-1 hour in 100C vs. staying at 50C all day? Sure, if you spend 10 hours in a sauna you are a well done roast.

Saunas in my country have a humidity requirement of at least 35%. So no I highly doubt you have even been close to the conditions of a desert, in a sauna, not even if the Sauna was set to 100°C.
    Humidity requirements? The sauna uses the same air as the rest of the household here. If the indoor air is 10% humidity, so is the sauna.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Haven't you?

Ever brought something metallic in with you?
    Have you noticed that said metal gets very hot when it lies around on its own, but if you keep it flush against your skin you won't burn yourself?
    Ever thought why that is?

The body protects itself against heat by creating a film of cooler air around itself (and more but this is the most important part here) which isulates the skin against the hot air around it.
    So unless you are dead and dried out like a piece of stone the temperature the sauna creates doens't reach you in full, but you lose water and energy keeping yourself cool.
    The same happens with the air you breathe in, but it does not work instantly thus the advice not to take in big gulps of air but to breathe slowly through your nose.

So this is the part about the hot air.

But if you ever were in a sauna before maybe you noticed all that wood they use to build them?
    Despite the fact that wood absorbs sweat and is hard to clean?
    Why do you suppose they do not use stone or metal?

Because wood conducts less heat per time into your skin and thus won't overcome your skin's ability to disperse heat like stone would at that temperature.
    Wood is easier to build with, cheaper and more easily available. That's why they are made from wood here.

Now, somewhere else, like Turkey, they are made from stone.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You've been arguing this point across several pages now. I don't know why you don't realise intuitively that the temperature at which water boils is not conducive to continued human life. Even so, you should've done a bit of investigation into the actual facts:

http://www.livescience.com/34128-lim...-survival.html

At 60C with 100% humidity most humans are dead in 10 minutes. At low humidity levels you might last 10 hours.

At 100C, even at low humidity levels, you'll be lucky to last more than few minutes. Maybe you're thinking Fahrenheit? (which would be about 38C)

FYI, I have spent some time Saudi Arabia. It is common knowledge there that exposure to temperatures above 60C (and it is very dry there) will quickly start killing people. 100C is very dangerous to an unprotected human.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Actually, the acceleration due to gravity increases slightly as you get closer to the Earth's core (and then of course drops to zero at the center of the Earth.)
    I'd expect this to be true.

The formula for Gravitational force is

F = GM1M2/r2

G is the gravitational constant, M1 and M2 are the masses of the two objects and r is the distance between the two bodies.
    So the closer you get to an object, the greater the gravitational force of attraction is.

That being said, there is an assumption in the formula, namely that the entire mass of each object is at a single position. This is of course not true for any real object. Mass is distributed over a large volume of space. So the actual calculation is an integration function for all the particles making up the objects. At a distance from each other, approximating each mass to a single point gives a pretty close answer (close enough for most purposes), but once you get very close it becomes less accurate as components of the force cancel out (hence at the center of the earth all gravitational forces will cancel out).

Anyhow, I haven't mathed it out, but obviously if you go below the surface of the planet, mass above you will start working to counteract the gravity of the mass below you, however you would still be getting closer to the mass below you so r would be decreasing and serving to increase those forces.

I guess what one would expect to see would be an increase in gravitational pull even below the surface of earth, but at some point it would stop increasing and start decreasing as you approach the centre.

Wood is easier to build with, cheaper and more easily available. That's why they are made from wood here.

Now, somewhere else, like Turkey, they are made from stone.
    No.
    The room might be made of stone, but they would still be covered in wood to avoid severe burns.
    I hope you do not visit the sauna alone? I'd fear what you might accidentially do to yourself in your ignorance of basic physics.
    Really: ASK SOMEONE KNOWLEDGABLE in person about how to behave in a sauna and why. It is not worth dying for your misplaced pride, especially when afterwards everyone will know you died because of ignorance anyway or do you look forward to being found naked in a sauna dead from a hearth attack or damaged lung?

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I guess what one would expect to see would be an increase in gravitational pull even below the surface of earth, but at some point it would stop increasing and start decreasing as you approach the centre.
    Yes, and since the whole thing is non-linear this decrease only starts to really matter below the crust.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2017-03-09 at 02:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did ou measure the heigth of that mountain from the deepest point between it and any other mountain of similar or greater height, though, or did you simply use sea level as comparison? Remember sea level does not exist without water on Earth :P
    (So the talles mountain would be at least 20km above the floor of the Marianas Trench. I don't think that would fit.)
    They guy who told us about Cthulhu wrote a mountain tall, and during his time there was water in marianas trench.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    No.
    The room might be made of stone, but they would still be covered in wood to avoid severe burns.
    Oh yeah, like this?

I hope you do not visit the sauna alone? I'd fear what you might accidentially do to yourself in your ignorance of basic physics.
    Really: ASK SOMEONE KNOWLEDGABLE in person about how to behave in a sauna and why. It is not worth dying for your misplaced pride, especially when afterwards everyone will know you died because of ignorance anyway or do you look forward to being found naked in a sauna dead from a hearth attack or damaged lung?
    I, and every other Finnish person, can only just double facepalm at you.

Obviously he must have refered to "rise above surroundings" when he wrote about those heights, otherwise it wouldn't make sense because Cthulhu would have been 0m tall when submerged in water if using the metric you used for your mountain there.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, like this?

I, and every other Finnish person, can only just double facepalm at you.
    That room does not have a temperature anywhere near 100°C.
    You obviously do not know what you are talking about.
    You endanger yourself this way using a sauna without supervision while not knowing how to behave and why.