Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ban it, and also ban christian church bells. As an atheist, I'm ear raped.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    There are two bills being debated, one is essentially what you mentioned.

One of the bills would ban a summons to worship via loudspeakers between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. That would effectively mute one of the five daily calls emanating from mosques. The second proposal would bar amplification in residential areas at all hours and impose a 10,000 shekel ($2,700) fine for violations.
    TIL Israel's currency is actually called shekels.

Fuck me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    They should be allowed to seek restitution. Either from the mosque, or from the municipality. By allowing a mosque to be built, they depressed their asset values.

It is entirely common for the state to pay some form of restitution in similar cases (if it reroutes a highway to pass right next to someone's land, they can sue and most commonly they will be reimbursed to some extent).

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, I don't follow. Are you actually disputing that land has value?
    Land has value, but we shouldn't be so quick to punish others for what we deem to be upsetting.

I wonder if there's a "call to prayer" anywhere in the US? I wonder what would happen if there was, cause religion is protected in the US by the Constitution.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Good for Israel, those things are incredibly annoying. And yes, i'd say the same to churches, i used to live near 3 churches, Sunday mornings were so fun with all those bells -.-

I have a question. If call to prayer isnt annoying to non Muslims why are crosses and Christian things annoying?

Deleted
    They should be allowed to seek restitution. Either from the mosque, or from the municipality. By allowing a mosque to be built, they depressed their asset values.

It is entirely common for the state to pay some form of restitution in similar cases (if it reroutes a highway to pass right next to someone's land, they can sue and most commonly they will be reimbursed to some extent).

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, I don't follow. Are you actually disputing that land has value?
    Normally they should and many of them did in fact file for compensation. I don't know the details, all I know is it was denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    honestly i only doubt the motives because it comes from israel, in any other case i'd say meh whatever

you hear police sirens 24/7 in NYC and no one complains
    are you really comparing police sirens (you know, that are designed to be loud and alerting, so people get the fuck out of your way so you can do your very important job) to a bunch of singing broadcast across the city at 5 am?

Like, fuck me - get some phones you idiots, or a website. Do you really need to be told its 5 am by SINGING EVERY FUCKING DAY?? Is that how stupid people are? Get a god damn clock.

People are so fucking inconsiderate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    are you really comparing police sirens (you know, that are designed to be loud and alerting, so people get the fuck out of your way so you can do your very important job) to a bunch of singing broadcast across the city at 5 am?

Like, fuck me - get some phones you idiots, or a website. Do you really need to be told its 5 am by SINGING EVERY FUCKING DAY?? Is that how stupid people are? Get a god damn clock.

People are so fucking inconsiderate.
    you know a call to prayer is designed to be loud and alerting too right ? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i think some people here have trouble understanding that these calls are actually wanted in some countries
    israel is a special case

wanted in some countries
    /some/

Again, buy a watch with an alarm on it, you weapons.

Deleted
    Heh, maybe the company that built the apartments was made aware officially of the plan to built the train track and did not seek any reimbursement. Thus the end owners could make no claim from the state (and if the company had the proper disclosures not from them either)
    A mosque, but yeah it might have been something along those lines. You know how it goes, 'you shoulda read the subscript!'

i'm pretty sure most muslims would tell you it is necessary
    Then they should set up a radio frequency that only ever transmits the call to prayer and stays silent the rest of the day.
    They could have that one running inside their home all day long and not bother anyone else, but the point of the call to prayer is that everyone hears it, not just those who want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Ban it, and also ban christian church bells. As an atheist, I'm ear raped.
    i would say that too. but, do they actually serve a religious function? or do they just toll on the hour?

Deleted
    honestly i only doubt the motives because it comes from israel, in any other case i'd say meh whatever

you hear police sirens 24/7 in NYC and no one complains
    Police sirens are emergencies. The police put up their sirens because the cars are speeding and ignoring certain traffic laws and other participants in the traffic need to better notice them and move aside.

This is in no way comparable to the call from a mosque. Since, you know, the call to a mosque is not an urgency and, if the muslim people actually cared, they could set their own alarms. It's not that hard to set an alarm, or five. And if you forget... well, then you were never a very good muslim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I can understand allowing the call to prayer in Muslim cities like Amman, Riyadh, Baghdad, and Malmo, but at the very least don't do the early morning one if it's a mixed or majority non-Muslim city.
    I'd just like to quote this guy from page 3 because he tried really hard and no one noticed

Deleted
    well europe formed its union precisely because they were just finished with their second world war that killed tens of millions so i'm not sure that is a good way to prove your point

also when you talk about islam most people picture the worst countries, which have usually been war torn by, among others,..western influence
    iran is a well known example of a prosperous state that went apeshit fundamentalist after foreign powers messed with it

more peaceful muslim countries like morocco or tunisia are generally evolving in the same direction that the west is with : more rights, tolerance, and social progress
    I think you want to discus western world rather than religion now. Because nazi wasn't christianity.

The EU formed out of fear from Soviet Union. It was a big factor why America helped rebuild the EU and why the extremely strict rules and overwatch over Germany was relinquished so fast.
    WW2 60million died (Wikipedia) but its been 2 generation ago. Homophobic was still after that. Both factors we moved away from and denounce. It's not applicable to todays society. but homophic is still relevant in Islam.

I have my doubts about calling it a prosperous state, their is certain branding you do where you just focus on the guilt of the past that while not good the way your handling it causes me to defend, especially when horrible aspects is still present in those foreign societies.
    I'm not saying the people are evil, but it will take time for many of islam societies (but also other countries) to reach the same point. And your already pointing out morocco and Tunisia, but their not their yet. (I thought morocco had some destabilisation in the last decade as well).
    For me a very important factor is to first see how islam countries handle other ideologies and religions in their country.

also when you talk about islam most people picture the worst countries, which have usually been war torn by, among others,..western influence
    iran is a well known example of a prosperous state that went apeshit fundamentalist after foreign powers messed with it
    The sad part is while Christianity has taken a back seat political corruption has replaced it. You see how certain parts of the goverment of US has destabilized so many regions and the rest (US and EU politics) just going along with it.

I don't think any normal citizen wanted to go to war with those countries because of moral treatment of politics in that country. Although i can understand acting to prevent a country getting nukes. But it seemed more for geopolitical play and oil. If westerners were really concerned about removing goverments because of ideological differences / humanitarian it would be North Korea.
    I myself am against removing a dictator just for oil and geopolitics and was with left parties who were against the war. However i was on the right side to keep the military their for stabilisation afterwards. Especially EU, EU is really good at military working with the people to stabilize the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    TIL Israel's currency is actually called shekels.

Fuck me.
    so:
    I hope you get shekeled.
    'would mean i hope you get paid? :P

- - - Updated - - -

you know a call to prayer is designed to be loud and alerting too right ? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

i think some people here have trouble understanding that these calls are actually wanted in some countries
    israel is a special case
    Were talking from a western non-islamic countries, like Isreal.
    In Iran for example, meh up to them but even than i bet half the population if not more would find it annoying as fuck.

Just like EU has with churchbells waking you up in the morning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriMayim View Post
    Ever have a neighbor who's alarm clock goes off at 5 in the morning on your day off? And it's really thin walls? And it goes for like 30 minutes.

And then it happens the next day, and you don't have to be up until 10am?

And then it happens the next day?

And then it happens for the foreseeable future?

I'm surprised that people haven't been murdered over this shit.
    I think that analogy is wrong..
    A more fitting one would be like living near a train station, and then complaining after decades that the noise the trains make suddenly disturbs you.
    The muezzins doing their task for over a thousand years. And now, all of a sudden, it's a problem?

No, sorry, it's just another one on the list of that Zionist bullshit that goes in Israel since Netanyahu runs the show.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Holas View Post
    When you write "human rights violation" you could mean both the noise or banning the noise. However when you add the marked word, the inferred meaning is the latter. If you meant the actual noise as the human right violation, I ofc take back everything I wrote.
    I meant both it's annoying and it's a violation of human rights, but your post sounded like a right-winger rant more than a semantic analysis of my post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    People still think things done towards a Religious group is Racism.

Oh lawdy lawdy.

It is.
    it's not.
    Sexism: discrimination because of your sex
    Racism: discrimination about race / etnicity
    Although broad, often it has the condemnation of extreme cases in each.

Religion is not a race.
    Feminism, Capitalism or Communism, Nazi ideologies are not a race or sex.

If it was than atheist and christians were pretty racist towards eachother.

I think a more broader term is xenophobe and bigot. Although bigot is more a behavior.

That "call" should be banned everywhere.

Mosques should not have the rights to plague the surrounding area with that shit, waking up neighbours etc.