Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

54% Overheal - Resto Problems

I would like some advice on converting some of my 54% overheals to active healing on fights like Heroic Augur (for example). We run 2/3/12. So we don't have too many healers.

My druid's name is Mixyzptlk. Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...zptlk/advanced

Logs are at:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...0&type=healing

Specifically

As shown in picture above, all my primary spells overheal by a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Why do you care about overhealing? Are you running into mana issues?
    Seems pretty fine to me, considering you heal with two holy priests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Why do you care about overhealing? Are you running into mana issues?
    Seems pretty fine to me, considering you heal with two holy priests.
    Mana issues is a problem. And loss of a lot potential heals is another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

What I can see here is that your legendary ring might have granted you quite a few rejuvs on targets that took little to no damage and that maybe you are a bit over zealous into spamming rejuvs on everyone all the time, also as someone else above mentioned, healing with 2 holypriests is pretty difficult since their aoe heals also leave a HoT from their mastery, I'm somewhere between 390-450k hps with 25-35% overhealing on Auriel heroic with roughly same ilvl as you,without having the legendary ring.

This a log from an Auriel heroic kill (old one, my gear is slightly better now): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aling&source=6

My armory is: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...a%C3%BC/simple

Gear and talents chosen are for M+ right now.

As a suggestion, you should give the darkmoon deck trinket a go, can help alot with mana issues.

Nothing unusual for Resto Druids. I honestly dont see the problem.
    If you have mana problems, then figure out better ways to manage your mana, or yell at your raid for extra innervate if possible.

Deleted
    So, I don#t have the time to really analyze your logs now (might do it later tho). On a first note: Etraeus is general a boss with relatively LOW healing required (except mythic ofc) and the incoming dmg occurs pretty much only on a few occasions so it is not unusual to have overhealing there (actually spamming wrath is a good idea there instead).
    This is actually crucial for restodruids in general. Iam the healing officer for our guild and whenever we trial new healers and they are weak this very often is the result of them not knowing the dmg patterns of the fight and subsequently wasting there mana on overhealing.
    So if u want to become a better healer try to learn when the dmg will come in a certain fight (this is more or less possible on certain bosses, but usually it works). So one of the easiest dmg pattern is Krosus. Get ur DBM and be rdy to wildgrowth/use ur flourish/ghanir for example on slams/orbs, but try to not throw around rejus inbetween those bossabilities.
    U should certainly NOT try to blanket the raid with rejuvs and usually dont use it at all when there is nothing to heal below 70% (depends on ur mana left etc. ofc). Blanketting with rejuv is only okay if there is really heavy dmg incoming and u can wildrgrowth to procc dreamwalker etc./use flourish or u innervated before.

Im sorry my post is so chaotic and I hope theres at least some help there (im kinda in a hurry right now). I will check later again and go into more detail. If u want u can look at my hc logs for talents/cd use etc: character "Saltbube" on german server "Thrall"
    Last edited by mmocc7b9654e4f; 2017-03-08 at 08:17 PM.

your comp is going to naturally lead you to a lot of overhealing, since the kind of 80-90 -> 100% healing that rejuv would normally be hoovering up is being eaten into by echo of light. Plus I mean, 50% overheal isn't any big deal on a fight you're farming (based on health totals on augur your raid never really seems to be under threat until the very end.)

maybe ration your mana a bit more so that you can spam out rejuvs in phase three? Sometimes it's better to just spam a few wraths or catweave or something rather than use mana inefficiently trying to chase HPS.

Etreus is a pretty terrible fight to look at overhealing because there's almost nothing to heal in heroic. We 3 healed it last night, with 21 people, the other 2 healers were off specs that did significantly less healing, one of which had never healed the fight, and I still couldn't even find a time to use tranq until I used it pretty gratuitously at the end. I had 43% overhealing, didn't use innervate or a potion (I know, I should use innervate anyway early, in case I need to solo heal the 2nd half or something), and got a 89% parse because my raid was super lax about standing in the fire pools since they know there's not much else to heal. Pretty sure if the raid was good about the fires it wouldn't even be difficult to solo heal it with 20 people.

In looking at other fights, you're casting heals on people that just don't really need it at all to fill GCDs, then have empty GCDs at other times to conserve mana presumably. A lot of fights have periods of very low damage, where you can just keep hots on tanks and spam wrath to keep from getting bored, then shortly before the damage happens, cast rejuv. One thing that has helped me, is looking at our logs afterwards, or other guild's logs ahead of time for when in the fight there's lots of damage. It may be a certain ability, or it may be a particular alignment of them. Mark down the times or like "power overwhelming #4, 3rd and higher cast" in notepad, use something to track your combat time, and start pre-rejuving a little before those times.
    Last edited by lairpie; 2017-03-08 at 08:42 PM.

Deleted
    You can't avoid high overhealing on a fight like Augur where there is tons of downtime.

What is more interesting is that you did 0 (ZERO) damage, when there are periods of 10+ seconds where the raid takes no damage at all in that fight on transitions. Maybe focus on casting wraths instead of blanket reju 100% hp ppl and you will kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Don't rejuv targets unless they're under like ~60-70% or damage is coming. Everyone else's passive HoTs and healing will take care of that damage.

That's what's kinda awkward about Druids; our HoTs are amazing and it's why we're so good at healing, but we're actually bad at getting a bunch of non-HoTted targets up from like 80-85% since our HoTs are all actives and most everyone else's HoTs and some healing is just passive from their other abilities.

That said, if we have HoTs on targets and they take damage, that's where we excel. We also have Efflo for our buffer healing (as opposed to Rejuv), and you should always have Lifebloom on a tank, always (preferably the active tank at that moment), so it's going to do some overhealing.

Bottom line is that Druid is intended to overheal (Rejuv, Lifebloom, and Efflo especially), but that's why our healing is stupidly good. They need to overcompensate on how much we heal because they know we'll be overhealing a ton.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2017-03-09 at 12:10 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Overhealing isn't an issue unless you are running into mana problems, but you mentioned mana longevity is causing you issues. If you're going OOM at 55%+ overheal, you basically need to hold off and pick your spots better in terms of dumping your mana. 50%+ overheal on Wild Growth shouldn't be happening; hold off and save uses of it for when it will be effective healing. Stuff like Spring Blossoms and Efflo will have stupid overheal, but you can time your Rejuv and WG usage better to not waste it. Remember that using Rejuv on a 60%+ HP target is effectively cutting the efficiency/effectiveness of the spell by over 50%, because you won't be proccing Cultivation.

Deleted
    Been said before but having 0 damage on a boss fight as healer on these kinds of encounters isn't good. When there is no hard damage on the raid and the tank has all the hots use that time to damage the boss.

More disturbing part about this topic is that you didn't enchant your legendary ring.

Deleted
    If you want less overhealing, roll Mistweaver.

WARNING: Does not have CR, cannot cast most spells on the run, incredibly high mana costs, has no affinities that increases DPS and value to the raid, almost non-existent utility in general

Deleted
    Maybe you can focus little more on debuffs present on targets. Here you can see healing filtered to chars with debuffs Fel Ejection or Icy Ejection, the overhealing on these targets is much lower.

<warcraftlogs>/reports/f9GnWgFwNLzVtKvB#fight=20&type=healing&pins=2$Off$%23244F4B$auras-gained$-1$0.0.0.Any$0.0.0.Any$true$0.0.0.Any$true$205649%7C206936$true$false&view=analytical

(difficult to link pins with special characters in link - maybe someone with access rights can post the correct link)
    Last edited by mmoc5d6792940d; 2017-03-10 at 08:11 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrionmoo View Post
    Been said before but having 0 damage on a boss fight as healer on these kinds of encounters isn't good. When there is no hard damage on the raid and the tank has all the hots use that time to damage the boss.

More disturbing part about this topic is that you didn't enchant your legendary ring.
    I strongly disagree for heroic doing damage as a healer is the wrong decision in 99,9% of the cases especially as a druid there is something to do. You can prehot for the next dmgphase or you can simply give the tank all hots and spam a little HT on him to get the little extrahealing over the others. Auger is one of the few encounters like Trilliax in which you can go afk or try to top the other healers by spamming overheal like shit. No matter what you do - it doesnt matter. Its simply no healing fight. But what ever you do in any case: Dealing dmg as a healer is so useless. You can also go afk and it should be the same scenario: Maybe the boss dies 1 or 2 seconds quicker if you go full nats on dmg. Who cares that in hc? Really?

Also for the OP here:

IF you want to be a good healer learn two lessons from me:

First, train to be at 0% Mana when the boss dies. This is very tricky and you will need a lot of time to learn every encounter, your healing fails, adepting on the tanks, your raid, when they fail, when they get dmg or no dmg.

Second: Spam your heals and do as much overheal as needed! This way you will squiez out that extra little heal which you get from applying hots on targets with 99% life etc. Always try to get every little heal BEFORE the other healers get them. Make it a competetion. Be the first one on any given fight. This simply results in one easy Situation: When ever someone gets to critical life he will be going up as fast as possible, safing his life and get him/her secure which will result in less wipes and more survivalbility in any given scenario.

Go for this two Goals and you will be getting a good healer at some point.

In short: No good healer cares for overhealing.

Unless you are talking about "farm" fights, where you are easily going to 1 shot them, planning around being at 0% mana when the boss dies is actually not being an intelligent healer. On progression bosses, it's never 100% predictable what will happen or how much damage will be taken or when you will need to push more throughput due to mistakes being made. If you run things so dry that you are using 100% of your mana in an ideal boss fight, you have no room for error, and that actually can and will cause wipes. Stop worrying about your HPS numbers and your parse/percentiles while progressing on a boss; worry about how well you are healing priority targets and what you are doing to reduce the possibility of a wipe.

Once the fight is on farm, and you know it can be comfortably executed, sure, find ways to spam to 0% mana by the end and pad HPS meters if you enjoy logs/rankings. Plus, we are talking about Heroic Star Augar here, a fight which has literally 0 damage to be healed. Why wouldn't you just do some DPS during most of the fight, given that the healing is mostly useless, and Resto Druids in general are not going to have good numbers if overhealing to that extent. Because every thing we do is linked to HoTs, and because our most important throughput talent requires targets to be <60% HP to activate, there's probably no way you're going to outheal something like a Holy Pally or Holy Priest that is adamant on sniping the damage before your hots can take care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    Overhealing isn't an issue unless you are running into mana problems, but you mentioned mana longevity is causing you issues. If you're going OOM at 55%+ overheal, you basically need to hold off and pick your spots better in terms of dumping your mana. 50%+ overheal on Wild Growth shouldn't be happening; hold off and save uses of it for when it will be effective healing. Stuff like Spring Blossoms and Efflo will have stupid overheal, but you can time your Rejuv and WG usage better to not waste it. Remember that using Rejuv on a 60%+ HP target is effectively cutting the efficiency/effectiveness of the spell by over 50%, because you won't be proccing Cultivation.
    This was what I was thinking. Without mana issues, some spells you feel like tossing on CD, but when gearing or having mana issues, that habit can still exist and instead of blanketing the raid like we used to do, it's a bit more selective in usage. That still won't help OH on SB/Eff though, but... you know, it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

You're a Druid, that relies on HoTs... <_<;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    Unless you are talking about "farm" fights, where you are easily going to 1 shot them, planning around being at 0% mana when the boss dies is actually not being an intelligent healer. On progression bosses, it's never 100% predictable what will happen or how much damage will be taken or when you will need to push more throughput due to mistakes being made
    Think twice about your own words my friend. You must predict the fight, the fails, the happening, everything. Thats a healers duty. And also u must predict how you heal to get to 0% Mana when the Boss dies. This is our job. When you are progression thats no other story. You must then predict how long it will take your team to get him down and at this point you must be at 0% Mana. There is nothing to discuss here really. Ofc this is a learning progress and will not be correct everytime. But you will be getting better at this with every try ofc.

7+ Year Old Account
    First off
    Get rid of more mastery, get more crit, your versatility seems sort of high though, can lose a bit of it since it doesn't really scale that well anymore
    That urn for example, its nice for M+ but atrocious for raiding. Go get a different trinket (hopefully a stat stick off Helya that gives haste or crit)
    Next
    Don't care about them overheals. You're meant to overheal, but there's a lot of things you can do to help reduce this a little
    >You have 4set, thats going to make rejuv go crazy all over the place, its good and don't sweat it.
    >Why are you still keeping efflo up during fel phase for Star Augur? There's almost no damage going on in melee during that point, same with P1 where the damage is on Icy Ejections / Tanks / That small burst during icy nova. Shouldn't even use spring blossoms, go for Inner Peace.
    >I note that you have bracers, hence the cenarion ward. It's normal but you're running 2 holy priests and a rdruid. They seem to be spamming quite a number of heals onto the active tank (Prot Pal), are you timing it well? If yes, that probably means your priests are going too ham on the tank... (Shouldn't even run 2 hpriests in the first place...)
    >Wild growth, are you pre-hotting properly for wild growth? Dreamwalker overheals of over 50%, you need to know the fight better and get ready to wild growth onto a bunch of rejuvs as soon as the damage comes out, or face losing a large % of effective heals.
    >Swiftmend: Are you looking at the hp or just using it to proc bracers? This has 55% overheal for an instant cast direct heal. Please look at the frames properly and get comfortable with how much this heals.
    >Tranquility: First cast around the 3 minute mark, healed almost nothing. Looks like you casted it on fel nova, but unfortunately do note that it deals almost no damage if players are properly positioned at the edge of the room. Might want to consider tranq'ing earlier on fel ejection + felflame (if people mess up), and inner peace will help you cast it more often
    >Cultivation: Don't use this for star augur, there are almost no chances for this to proc except in last phase (if overtime). Incarnation / SotF might have fared better for this fight
    >Also do cast some healing touches, they are not the best, but works for healing direct damage on someone not worth rejuv'ing and needs instant heals, avoid the regrowth button at all costs! You're not in a m+ where you can keep drinking. Regrowths should only casted on Clearcasting.

Well in summary
    >Get more used with how your spells work, be it mana usage, HoT duration, and direct healing on proc / healing touch
    >Learn the fight and when damage comes! You need to prepare for incoming damage and not wait for it to happen before going into a panic
    >Get in touch with other healers: Tell the other 2 priests nicely when you're about to pop tranquility / take care of a tank, their direct heal sniping is costing you much hps.
    >Pick the right talent for each encounter. The same talents don't work for every encounter as they do for most other healers, you'll have to switch around. For example cultivation / spring blossoms wouldn't have helped you much in this fight / comp

Stack up or you get no heals! || Water control perfect, still can't attack with it
    Signature by Winter Blossom