Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Not everyone in Hiroshima died and the nation of Japan sure survived it. Stop quoting B-movies like they've got some profound, undeniable truth without even comprehending the context of the story in which it's said.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    are high moral the group rapes with "payment" in food? rotfl
    Only the truly immoral judge the whole based on the actions of the few - are you in that category?

What I'm saying is the fact that the US used to have the high moral ground in policy and overall behaviour, not in individual crimes.

It has, in the last few decades, totally lost that high ground.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

At that point they were still two countries at war, tough shit, war does not decide who is right, just who is left.....

Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    Nagasaki and Hiroshima, oh its quelling evil

9/11, OMG 1K DIED, BIG EVIL ATKED MURICA

yeah
    1 thousand? ONLY 1 THOUSAND?!

Mate, do you even know what happened during history?

Quote Originally Posted by Coconuter View Post
    The bombings weren't done to target civilians. 9.11 attack was to target civilians. They are different. I am being consistent. You just refuse to read.
    They were done to target civilians. That was even discussed multiple times before we dropped the bombs. On 9/11, AQ sought to also target strategic locations. They didn't pick those spots by accident.

No, I am not condoning the actions of AQ on 9/11, I'm condemning them. I also condemn our actions when dropping the bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    At that point they were still two countries at war, tough shit, war does not decide who is right, just who is left.....
    EXACTLY!

I don't get what's so hard to understand about this? It was war, no one is right. If a country attacks another country, the other country will take its revenge, and end the war...

No one is right, but...some team will be left, and that team will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Then you feel AQ was justified in attacking New York on 9/11?
    I think so. If you have an enemy, sometimes you can't take then on in a pitched battle.

And if dropping a couple bombs saves tens of thousands of lives on YOUR side... that's an easy decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Deleted
    Because they killed millions of innocents for no reason, while pretending all the time they are the good guys.

They were done to target civilians. That was even discussed multiple times before we dropped the bombs. On 9/11, AQ sought to also target strategic locations. They didn't pick those spots by accident.

No, I am not condoning the actions of AQ on 9/11, I'm condemning them. I also condemn our actions when dropping the bombs.
    *Breaths*

IT

WAS

WAR!

The bombing was used to target BOTH citizens, and army guys. Besides, japan killed citizens in pearl harbor, so....why do we still get shit all because we smacked them back?

It's like when a women hits a man, they go scott free, but when the man hits her back for equality, they get shit...

Are you kidding me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck no, I will not knock it off. We don't seem to want to hold ourselves accountable for our own actions, when we condemn others for doing the same thing, albeit on a much smaller scale. That's pure fucking hypocrisy.
    How is it fucking hypocrisy?

One is one nation in a state of total war with another nation, with the aggressor nation on its last leg, but refusing to surrender, and the cost of the looming final battle too high to bear, with an alternative available that avoids that final battle. That alternative being the use of nuclear weapons. And what exactly is there to use them on besides cities?

The other is a terrorist organization, hellbent on establishing a caliphate and eradicating non-Muslims from the Earth, deliberately attacking civilians to draw the US into a war of attrition.

How are those two things the same?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, they were not. Everyone was doing it, including the United States. There was no moral high ground. Americans seem to think we hold it, we don't. That's why I don't support when my country did/does it, because I don't support it when it was done to us on 9/11.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a false equivalency. 9/11 was an attack on innocent people. AQ was definitely at war with our government. I get it, you don't like hearing things that hurt your feelers.
    You are really trying to apply moral equivalency for a terrorist attack on civilians and the actions of the US in WWII? You scare me friend. Scare me because you can vote.

The real moral equivalency is between 9/11 and the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. And in both cases the result was the same: they poked the sleeping bear and it led to a large war and their eventual defeat.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Teaon View Post
    Nagasaki and Hiroshima, oh its quelling evil

9/11, OMG 1K DIED, BIG EVIL ATKED MURICA

yeah
    The death total was just under 3,000 people, with more dying in the following years from the effects.

I made a thread a few months ago comparing Mai Lai and Hiroshima based on this blog post by Bryan Caplan.

Caplan's conclusion is that people think Mai Lai is wrong even though it was only a fraction of Hiroshima's deaths because the soldiers in Mai Lai did the killing face to face. That's on top of the usual nationalistic or consequentialist defense.

The argument like the one in the OP that Japan's crimes justified a quick end to the war falls flat when you take into account that allowing Imperial Japan to fall created a vacuum in China for the communists to overthrow the KMT and end up killing up to 3 times as many people as Japan ever did during the 30s-40s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    They didn't make the decisions "in hindsight."
    Who said they did? Because 'twas not me. Reading comprehension, try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    If a man is threatening you with a gun and you pull out a gun and shoot him only to find out his gun wasn't loaded, does it make you a murderer?

Japan was telling the US it wasn't going to surrender, and it didn't. And so you're going to stand here and say "Well the US should have known forrealzies that they totally were!"
    This is what I was talking about for the record. And last time I checked, the anti-nuke camp on highest levels opposed the nuke, among other reasons, on the idea that Japan was indeed already beaten. Damn, it's almost as if your analogy with finding only after the fact that the gun wasn't loaded was a crock of shit. I also didn't mention them knowing that Japan would surrender per se, since as my second post makes clear, I focused on Japan simply not being a threat, so fuck off with putting words in my mouth. But since you insist on this tangent, posturing is a thing that even countries partake in. Do carry on with your inane jingoistic justification of weapons of mass destruction though, it's adorbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    *Breaths*

IT

WAS

WAR!

The bombing was used to target BOTH citizens, and army guys. Besides, japan killed citizens in pearl harbor, so....why do we still get shit all because we smacked them back?

It's like when a women hits a man, they go scott free, but when the man hits her back for equality, they get shit...

Are you kidding me?
    Was AQ at war with the United States? They sure as hell thought so. Like you said, it was war, no one is right, but someone will be left.

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBrando View Post
    Because they killed millions of innocents for no reason, while pretending all the time they are the good guys.
    THE US WERE THE GOOD GUYS!

Japan was part of the axis group (The villains of WWII), they STARTED the Us/Japan war. They KILLED thousands, we decided to strike back, and even though it took a few years, we finally did it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Obviously the crippled Japan with its military in shambles was a monumental threat that was capable of not only incurring any significant losses on the Allies, but if given time, they'd rise from the ashes like a phoenix and defeat US in a counter offensive, resulting in extinction of all life in Europe and the Americas. Probably by summoning Godzilla.
    Nippon ichi! BANZAAAAI!

If anything, the nukes would only give Godzilla more power.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    *Breaths*
    *Breathes*

You sound quite young.
    Maybe you can't justify everything with "well it was war duh"
    That's why we have the geneva conventions now

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    And unlike 9/11, we warned Japan (edit: at least Nagasaki) that we were going to drop the bomb on them. We dropped pamphlets into the cities telling the citizens to evacuate.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Deleted
    If you really do not understand why throwing atomic bombs is bad, then i'm really not sure what to tell you.