Poll: Will you let your kids play wow?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm playing other games right now (not WoW), but I don't understand why you had to interject the comment about parent players being a weird combination.

I am a parent and when I did play, I found A LOT of other players who were also parents. The game has been around for so long that a large portion of the population playing it are in their 20s and 30s and that's when people are most likely to have kids.

When they are old enough, they can entertain themselves, and even if they're not, it's not like you're going to be completely wrapped up in taking care of their every need 24/7. Kids sleep. Parents can play after their kids are asleep.

My 9 year old did take some interest, I didn't get her into the game but I let her run around some areas and kill some mobs on my character and it made her happy. So long as she still has a social life outside of the internet when she gets older, gets her homework done and goes to bed on time, I don't see why I wouldn't allow her to play what she wants to.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    If I had kids, I'd kick their asses outside to play.
    too many kids waste away in front of a pc/tablet/phone nowadays.
    If I play more than 15-20 hours a week, I get mad at myself (but take no steps to stop, mind you, because I'm a terrible person).
    But I wouldn't subject my kids to that.
    Get outside, break bones, learn things. Be kids.
    Avoid the crack that is WoW (and the crack that is, well, crack...).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wet Red Sword View Post
    I think I'll help them get hooked on heroine instead. Cheaper and much less dangerous to their health.
    Woah, in a forest you could serve as a salt lick for deer.

Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    My kids already play with me, as in on my lap, from time to time. It's really up to them, if they find the game interesting and want to play it i won't prevent it, just control their playtime as i do in other activitys they have, no big deal.
    This is the approach we will take. Ours are 3 & 1 so not really much they can do other than mindlessly run our characters around which they do find entertaining for a bit. I don't have a problem with games so long as it's in moderation. I'd probably wait until they are older for WoW though just because of the online component and I can't control the "content" they'll see/read.

I won't force any of my hobbies onto my kids, but I will do all I can to pass on my passion for anime and games (especially Naruto and WoW) to them. That's one of the best things I can do for the future of my kids.

Deleted
    My first kid doesn't arrive until june this year and i don't think WoW is going to be around at the time he gets to play games.
    If it is, i wouldn't deny him, I've been a gamer since i was around 7-8 years old and started playing Resident Evil on PS1 so no chance in hell i would take that away from him. Me and my friends have alot of good memories from gaming during sleepovers etc and i would like him to have that aswell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kejer View Post
    edit:
    If there are parent players (weird combination tbh) browsing this thread, are your kids showing any interests in wow? Bliz may be doing everything they can to advertising hearthstone to new generation but it should know wow's like cigarettes, most of us are attached for life!
    Why it is a weird combination to be a parent and play a videogames? I've been playing computer games since 80s. I've got two teen-age kids.
    My kids are not interested in WoW at all, we've tried to play together couple of times. Since I play, I think they think it's something 'old people play'. They did play a lot of Minecraft when they were younger, now it's more diverse. I think Sims 4 might be their most played game on PC. They play a lot of console games and a lot of mobile games.

But if any of them wanted to play MMOs/WoW - sure, why not. It's not really any different from any other videogame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    My six-year-old son really, really wants to play. I might have given in at some point, but my wife has remained consistent with an emphatic, "NO."

We've discussed it multiple times, and while she's not overly concerned with videogame violence -- and I'm almost not concerned about it at all -- we both agree that toxic players are the biggest issue. That would probably still be the case in another six years (if WoW is still around).

Not going to tell you how to raise your kids, but just from the experience, by the time your kid is 12, he's seen, heard and maybe even done way worse things than any of the things he might encounter in public WoW chat. They are growing up and living in the middle of the "toxic little kids"-world. It's part of their everyday social interaction in real life - by the time someone is throwing a rage tantrum in LFR - they've seen plenty of the same tantrum outsite the Internet.
    Last edited by mmoc0e47cbaaf5; 2017-03-10 at 06:58 PM.

yes but I would keep an eye on how much and how long they play. same goes ofc for other games, consoles, tv and smartphones

Well for some of us WoW is kind of addiction and i am not really sure if i would want him/her to play the game way i did and i still do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nope, because I don't have any, AFAIK.

I have no idea why people deliberately have kids. Throw money, time, and your mental energy down a hole for years and years, for what exactly?

Vsec at 20 right here.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Online gaming is a cesspit in many ways. So sure eventually they might play online games, but I wouldn't let them until they were teenagers. You an already see these awful people in the 18 to 22 range that have grown up playing online games especially the pvp based ones that are just amazingly toxic pricks. When you are surrounded by shitty people doing shitty things daily you start to think it is okay to want to make somebody cry or be horrible to others to be funny. That isn't anything I would ever let anybody in my family become.
    Lmao, yea bro, the toxic community totally made them toxic people. Totally.

Anyone who thinks games change their childrens personality has to be insane. That only happens if you're those shit tier parents that dont keep an eye on what their children are doing and instilling the correct values in them.

If I had kids no.

The only way I would let them is if I disabled all forms of Commutation. Rather no one deal with how toxic the WoW community can be.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    I won't force any of my hobbies onto my kids, but I will do all I can to pass on my passion for anime and games (especially Naruto and WoW) to them. That's one of the best things I can do for the future of my kids.
    lmao really? passing on your passion for fantasy is the best thing you can do? How about clothing, feeding, sheltering, and educating them? Good lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    lmao really? passing on your passion for fantasy is the best thing you can do? How about clothing, feeding, sheltering, and educating them? Good lord.
    Well, your parents definetely didn't pass their reading comprehension skills onto you, did they? "ONE OF the best"
    Providing basic life necessities such as food, clothes, shelter and education to your children is an obvious thing that every parent has to do. But while my parents provided me with all of those, they forgot another equally, if not more important part of bringing up a child - morality. Emotional/spiritual support, teaching your children what is right and what is wrong, being there for them when they need it and guiding them into becoming quality people. Also being a source of inspiration for them. Anime and games gave me all those things. They were there for me, when my parents weren't. When I needed to run away from reality, the anime and game worlds welcomed me and the people I met or watched there (be it "virtual people" as my parents called them, a.k.a "other players, or anime characters - they still have their stories and experiences) helped me overcome my problems in one way or another. Now, years later I am doing awesome in life and have a very bright future ahead of me. And I absolutely believe that anime and games (and other forms of art) are vital for bringing up quality people.

Deleted
    Not having kids so no

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    That's is where parenting comes in.
    Or the parenting can come in before you let them be around a bunch of shitty people all the time.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    i wont even let them touch a ipad, so no they wont touch wow
    Hi

If i had kids i would punish them if they misbehaved by making them do my dailies then grinding mats till i have x amount of stacks or they wont get there pocket money!

Yes i prolly would have my kids taken away by CPS lol

Can't say as i don't want any kids haha

Quote Originally Posted by NadEFurY View Post
    If I had kids, no.

I wouldn't let em behind a machine until a late age.
    I could argue that learning code and/or Chinese is a fantastic start to ensuring a career in the future. With coding being so accessible and the constant demand, why not make screen time an enrichment exercise. No machine seems harsh and counterproductive.

OT: I doubt they'll even be exposed to it considering my play time is after hours and even that is dwindling quickly as I lose interest
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~