Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I just use the stove top, like a normal person.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Be a bit wary of doing this. It can sometimes be dangerous:

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

(tl;dr: it is possible to heat water in a microwave to beyond 100C without it boiling. when this water is disturbed it will spontaneously start boiling and effectively "explode" spraying superhot water out of the container)

Myth busters kinda contradict that page.

They had to use distilled water as any tap water was too impure to not boil.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure where this would fit in.....it is electric but it isn't really a kettle. I just use a Keurig for my green tea

I am American and I use a stovetop kettle or a pot if I'm boiling water, depending on what the water is for. I have never heard of anyone using a microwave to boil water before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Myth busters kinda contradict that page.
    They had to use distilled water as any tap water was too impure to not boil.
    Common sense goes a long way too. If you hurt yourself heating water you might want to consider a helmet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I am American and I use a stovetop kettle or a pot if I'm boiling water, depending on what the water is for. I have never heard of anyone using a microwave to boil water before.
    You never heard or seen someone take a mug of water and microwave it? What year did you move to the states? :P

I've never seen an electric kettle in a home here in the US. I've never used one, never visited friends/family who had one, never had roommates who had one.

Everyone I know either uses an old fashioned kettle, heating up water on the stove, or heating up a cup in the microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I remember kettles from my childhood. Now I feel old, thanks >.<

Ever since I lived on my own I got a Quooker so I never needed one anymore.

Funny story, I was visiting my ex's parents' house one weekend and I couldn't find a kettle in their huge ass kitchen, he walks in and looks at me chidingly for not finding the boiling water tap. I had never seen one before!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have one only because my wife is English and she has tea at least once a day.

When I cook I use the microwave or the gas stove to boil water.

Never even saw one until we moved in together.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Lol I saw that article and thought WTF

While using an electric kettle to heat water is commonplace in Australia, it was learned that many Americans actually use the microwave to get their water to boiling point.
    A wave of disbelief washed over Twitter when this was discovered.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...alians-just-a/

Pretty much if I just want one glass the microwave is fine otherwise I just put our old kettle on the stove.

- - - Updated - - -

really if you are worried about boiling water in a microwave you will very quickly figure out how many seconds to throw a cup of water on to get it boiling. The big danger would be you set it for something like two minutes with ultra pure water.

I think electric kettles are more of an english thing or tea drinking society thing. For the rare times we require that much boiling water for drinking we have an old kettle that works fine but it gets used maybe once or twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    I think electric kettles are more of an english thing or tea drinking society thing.
    This is actually blowing my mind right now. I even use the kettle to boil water before putting it on the stove for whatever else I am doing.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I pretty much don't do anything that would require a kettle, so I don't have one. In the off chance that I need boiling water (for non-stove use), I'll microwave it, yes. Not gonna buy something I'd use 2 or 3 times in a year.

i use my Keurig for coffee and hot water, or microwave cause it takes like 2 minutes

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    This is actually blowing my mind right now. I even use the kettle to boil water before putting it on the stove for whatever else I am doing.
    You what? If you are boiling eggs, do you actually use the electric kettle to boil the water and then pour the water to a pot and put eggs there and turn the stove on?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Why would anyone buy a kettle, that only has a single use(to boil water), when there are many more options available that do the same thing in practically the same time while also providing FAR more functionality?
    They're okay for heating up thin soups, I guess?

But yeah, I don't own an electric kettle. I have a regular one that goes on my stove used for tea if I'm making for a couple people, or fueling my French press. For myself, if I want tea, I just microwave the water for a cup of tea, and that's that.

Disclaimer: I have maybe 2 cups of tea in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Actually, if it's a single meal of noodles, the electric kettle takes care of it all. At least these insta-ramen types don't need cooking, just hot water to pour on them.
    Microwave does that too.

Anyway, I have enough junk at my house to clutter multiple kitchens; don't need another that duplicates things other things do as well or better.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you dont own a kettle you should get one for christmas or next birthday
    Hi

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    I don't understand how boiling water in a pot can be inferior in any way.
    1. It takes me less than a minute to boil a cup of water in a pot
    2. Boiled water is boiled water, there's no difference in taste with boiled water...it's water.
    3. It's just damn boiled water!
    Agreed, in the end a kettle is just a pot with a lid and vent. There isn't anything magical about it. Claiming that a kettle is any better of a way to boil water, or that Americans don't know good coffee is nonsense. 2 of the top 3 coffee bean growers in the world are in the Americas, and people in the US are quite knowledgeable and picky about their coffee nowadays. It's a long way from 30 years ago when any cheap instant coffee would make people happy.

I still see kettles around once in a while especially for people that drink a lot of tea, but for most people in the US it's unnecessary and other items can be used to do the same thing and and save space. Most people in the use have gas stoves that can get water boiling in no time, so an electric kettle would really be pointless.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    if you dont own a kettle you should get one for christmas or next birthday
    I get a call from my mom on both those days, but I celebrate neither.

There's literally nothing I do at home that requires a kettle.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't, I use a pot.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    i use my Keurig for coffee and hot water, or microwave cause it takes like 2 minutes
    yep, I don't need a kettle I have a Keurig for my coffee/hotwater needs. I guess you can say a keurig is like a kettle though

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    that is blowing MY mind, becasue I'm used to heating water in whatever I'm going to be cooking in for anything that is not tea. especially since my regular kettle is good for maybe 6 cups? while I might be cooking for several days in advance and need a LOT more water then that, for broths in particular. I do drink a fair amount of tea (ok, I drink at least 6 cups of green tea a day) but honestly? I mostly can gauge when my regular kettle is at the right temperature. and my electric doesn't have temperature setting, maybe if one day I'll splurge on the one that does - I'll use that more, but stovetop kettle really does just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Agreed, in the end a kettle is just a pot with a lid and vent. There isn't anything magical about it. Claiming that a kettle is any better of a way to boil water, or that Americans don't know good coffee is nonsense. 2 of the top 3 coffee bean growers in the world are in the Americas, and people in the US are quite knowledgeable and picky about their coffee nowadays. It's a long way from 30 years ago when any cheap instant coffee would make people happy.

I still see kettles around once in a while especially for people that drink a lot of tea, but for most people in the US it's unnecessary and other items can be used to do the same thing and and save space. Most people in the use have gas stoves that can get water boiling in no time, so an electric kettle would really be pointless.
    No. The USA and Canada do not know what good coffee is at all.