Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Gremlinssss

Next race would be most likely draconids. Mark my words.

But the race that would be really cool to play as is...

Elementals.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    I still like the idea of arrakoa, flightless and winged. They usually hate each other, and can add to faction conflict. The best part of this is that you can write either side to fit perfectly with the respective factions
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Suru View Post
    I don't think that is true (no biologist though). You are giving a little too much meaning to mutation, doesn't need to be an outside force causing it. It could be as simple as an error in rna transcription (a natural process). These errors cause evolution as a beneficial mutation causes the host organism to survive better and pass the mutation on to future generations
    Well no, I was using simplified definion that is available in dictionary. Mutation isn't the same as evolution even if mutation play part in evolution, but so does in cancer, and the development of the immune system, including junctional diversity.

Evolution happens on it's own, when the species changes in order to adapt to environment. This is why we have so many kinds of the Trolls - each one adapted to live in different environment, like desert, forest or jungle, however they keep the core traits.

With Night elves it is clear that outside source meddled with their transformation, and according to the books in game, nelves appeared quite fast, and their transformation was enormous.

Basicly from this :
    http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20100423191701

or at least this: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140420123602

To this :
    http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/...20070124094101

Considering that Well of Etrnity was Titan creation, it is logical that it changed trolls to look more like humans. So they have 5 digits, human looking face, more proportional body.

But then again Dark Trolls could've been retconned again to look once again different.

And let me ask you: is Naga evolution of night elves or mutation?
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    Well no, I was using simplified definion that is available in dictionary. Mutation isn't the same as evolution even if mutation play part in evolution, but so does in cancer, and the development of the immune system, including junctional diversity.

Evolution happens on it's own, when the species changes in order to adapt to environment. This is why we have so many kinds of the Trolls - each one adapted to live in different environment, like desert, forest or jungle, however they keep the core traits.

With Night elves it is clear that outside source meddled with their transformation, and according to the books in game, nelves appeared quite fast, and their transformation was enormous.

Considering that Well of Etrnity was Titan creation, it is logical that it changed trolls to look more like humans. So they have 5 digits, human looking face, more proportional body.

But then again Dark Trolls could've been retconned again to look once again different.

And let me ask you: is Naga evolution of night elves or mutation?
    I never said that Night Elves were an example of evolution, only that mutations are a direct cause of evolution. Also never said they were the same thing.

Edit: I was simply pointing out that your definition of mutation was too specific as mutations are not only caused by outside forces, and that mutation and evolution are not massively different concepts as one is a cause of the other.
    Last edited by Suru; 2017-03-10 at 08:31 PM.

I never said that Night Elves were an example of evolution, only that mutations are a direct cause of evolution. Also never said they were the same thing.

Edit: I was simply pointing out that your definition of mutation was too specific as mutations are not only caused by outside forces, and that mutation and evolution are not massively different concepts as one is a cause of the other.
    So you basicly agreed to what I said, your only beef was that I simplified definition, but come on it's MMO-Champion. Nobody will read biological documentary stuff in game-related forums.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

So you basicly agreed to what I said, your only beef was that I simplified definition, but come on it's MMO-Champion. Nobody will read biological documentary stuff in game-related forums.
    Then why bring it up at all? Evolution was an accurate enough description to get us all to realize what he was talking about. You are the one that brought up the distinction and caused this discussion.

Also, I didn't answer the night elf question partially because I am not qualified to determine whether mutation caused by external forces which then result in the change of a species can be considered evolution. I certainly do not know that it cannot.
    Last edited by Suru; 2017-03-10 at 09:03 PM.

Then why bring it up at all? Evolution was an accurate enough description to get us all to realize what he was talking about. You are the one that brought up the distinction and caused this discussion.
    No it wasn't accurate description. I couldn't explain it more flat than I did, but whatever. You're the one who was prolonging this issue, I was just merely politely responding to you. But I'm done with this offtop.

Edit : @Suru
    I find it cute that you bring another line that just proves what I said, thank you. But I'm worried that you don't understand the text you're quoting.

Edit: 2. @Suru
    @Ramz how about you read the article. It says evolutionary change is often based on the accumulation of many mutations. Also that external influences can create mutations. The well of eternity caused mutations in the dark trolls which accumulated into the evolutionary changes we see today. You continue to act like you are some authority on evolutionary biology without providing any kind of credentials or even citing any sources to back up your points. Officially done, you are being ignored
    Ok this is really my last reply. You don't have to be PHD in biology to read with comprehention.

And to put it very simply - it cannot be simplier:
    Plenty of small mutations throrough the time make evolution.
    One mutation though doesn't make evolution.

Evolution is a very long process where we see how one creature is changing stage by stage to adapt to environment.
    Mutation is when the change is sudden and often through outside means, not all mutations are because of evolution, which we have a proof with radiation victims, where people were born without the eyes.
    It was mutation but it wasn't evolution.

In night elf case we had plenty of sources (books in game, and Chronicles vol1.) that stated that they changed becuase of the well and not on their own. AND that this change was so fast that there wasn't any stage in between to even call it evolution. This is why I used example of Nelf and Naga too. It would be evolution if it would take thousands of years where Elves would slowly adapt to live in the sea.
    And the same case was with Trolls - as a specie through the centuries they only changed in order to adapt to environment. They didn't grow extra digits, didn't lost tusks. So their transfomation was artificial. Third force was meddling with thier appearance.

Ofc Blizzard can retcon lore once again, as they did it plenty of times, but this is how it is for now. I don't see a reason to continue here this offtopic. If you want you can write PM, but really I don't see what else is here to discuss, specially when you so kindly provided source that backed up my claims in regards of terminology. Terminology is solid, WoW lore is changing once in a while, and who knows maybe my point will be blasted in the future. Just like couple others did with recent retcons.

And get ready for more ignores, if that triggered you xD

But if you really want to know I was actually working on artificial intelligence and we were doing evolution. So while I'm not biologist I am familiar with evolution stuff.
    Last edited by Ramz; 2017-03-11 at 02:24 AM.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

No it wasn't accurate description. I couldn't explain it more flat than I did, but whatever. You're the one who was prolonging this issue, I was just merely politely responding to you. But I'm done with this offtop.
    http: //evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_17

Mutations are changes in the DNA. A single mutation can have a large effect, but in many cases, evolutionary change is based on the accumulation of many mutations.

http: //evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_20

External influences can create mutations

Sorry can't post links yet but doesn't seem too inaccurate to me. I apologize for "prolonging" but I don't want misinformation spread. I don't think either of us has the qualifications to really have this discussion but I have at least made that clear in my posts.

@Ramz how about you read the article. It says evolutionary change is often based on the accumulation of many mutations. Also that external influences can create mutations. The well of eternity caused mutations in the dark trolls which accumulated into the evolutionary changes we see today. You continue to act like you are some authority on evolutionary biology without providing any kind of credentials or even citing any sources to back up your points. Officially done, you are being ignored
    Last edited by Suru; 2017-03-11 at 12:58 AM.

tldr:

Evolution is a series of mutations... if you need proof of that... I'm sorry I lack the patience to direct you beyond the definitions of the terms.

to keep it simple:
    Mutate = change
    Adapt = change
    Evolution = theory of observing changes over time

Source of change = less relevant if the change turns out to be successful and persist

I don't know why this thread's 'discussion' on evolution vs mutation irked me, but something is off about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Speaking about tengus how about race of playable momijis ?

Then we can have wolfgirls that don't look like they were dropped and curbstomped at birth.
    Threw up in my mouth a little bit.

There is a massive difference tho, mutation is usually something that happens quite fast and unnaturally. Evolution is a very slow process that makes creature adapt to diffrent environment and it's happening on it's own. Without outside means. And here it is quite visible.
    ah here's what was irking me...

you have a fucked definition of what 'outside means' are.

technically... this can be ANYTHING not residing within the organism's body. Food, location, other creatures... not JUST overexposure to radiation/magic/etc.

Deleted
    I would actually like to see Aldrachi, but it's said that they are extinct now... (maybe blizz change their minds... like usually )

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Catgirls

Wow needs Catgirls and Felicia
    agreed
    let's add hentai tentacles too
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Deleted
    Balrogs! Rawr!

Let me look through the D&D monster manual.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted

I don't think that is true (no biologist though). You are giving a little too much meaning to mutation, doesn't need to be an outside force causing it. It could be as simple as an error in rna transcription (a natural process). These errors cause evolution as a beneficial mutation causes the host organism to survive better and pass the mutation on to future generations.

So they have a cause and effect relationship
    He is wrong, evolution is fact is mutations that are favored because the 1 of 1,000,000 mutations through generations is actually beneficial, and as such the favoring of the mutation leads to the mutation being more and more common.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    ah here's what was irking me...

you have a fucked definition of what 'outside means' are.

technically... this can be ANYTHING not residing within the organism's body. Food, location, other creatures... not JUST overexposure to radiation/magic/etc.
    If you'd read clearly you'd notice that I mentioned very clearly that the whole purpose in evolution is to change in order to adapt to environment, and that was natural "on it's own" evolution, without some radioactive well. But you make an issue out of choice of words and not the essence. gratz.

But this shit is continuing for too long, I never intended to make this offtopic.

So to get back on track :

I'd like some truly prehistoric-looking creature to emerge like Archaeopterygids I'd also love to see thunderbirds.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really a race, but I find it surprising that Blizzard, who has been inspired by so many mythological archaetypes, never introduced the "three sisters", like the Graces, the Hours, the Fates (Greek) or the Norns (Norse).
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"