10+ Year Old Account
    I love the classics, so my top 3:

#3 Gatling gun

#2 Henry Repeating Rifle

#1 M1 Garand

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey View Post
    My thoughts exactly, although I did take the time and look it up, apparently NV doesn't have a minimum rifle calibre for deer hunting outside of muzzle loaders, and no specific pistol season, so not sure the appeal. That said from my browsing of hunting forums seems the recommended minimum for mule deer is .243 with 30-30, .308 and 30-06 being the common choices.
    Here in Ohio, we can only use shotgun slugs or a high caliber handgun .357 cal or higher. There are good reasons for that. You could kill a deer with a .22, but undue suffering of the deer is more than likely to occur if you try it. Also high caliber rifles can present more of a danger to others here I would assume. They can use them in other states close by however, and maybe here in some locations. I am not a expert on our hunting laws here however, as I do not enjoy hunting.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    .357 rifles fire the projectile at a higher muzzle velocity than a hand gun would of the same caliber. And the longer barrel helps with accuracy. As with any weapon, shot placement ( accuracy ) matters more than the type of caliber. However, the higher caliber, if shot in the same spot, will matter more also.

Pepper spray can be very effective against bears. But for myself, I would want pepper spray and a high caliber handgun just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

Target firearm. The Germans make one also for competition shooting which is extremely accurate. It would be better for self defense than your bare hands or a kitchen knife, but over all those type of handguns suck for self defense. But they certainly would be fun to shoot.
    Also, ammo type for the bolded part. FMJ vs JHP vs LRN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    I really need an RPG, AA and like 5 miniguns to defend my house. MAH HOUS!
    all those weapons are illegal to own in the u.s.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    all those weapons are illegal to own in the u.s.
    Well, technically no. The mini-gun would require a FFL/SOT license to make post dealer samples, but the RPG and AA can be owned with standard destructive device Forms from the ATF.

You can get a FFL/SOT license for under $1,000 a year. The DD forms are $200 per munition (and about 8 months wait currently).
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-03-10 at 04:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Also, ammo type for the bolded part. FMJ vs JHP vs LRN.
    Oh absolutely. Thanks for the addition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    I've got to agree with @<a href="http://www.mmo-champion.com/member.php?u=629133" target="_blank">GennGreymane</a> , nerf guns are awesome.
    No water gun lovers here? Son, I am disappoint. Slingshot knives is pretty cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    M4 Carbine. I don't have no guns, but when I was younger and played Counter Strike oh boy did I love me some M4A1 action
    This. Still play CS:Source and still love the M4.

I've always wanted a Beretta 92, so if I ever made the effort to get a pistol permit here in NY (unlikely, planning to move in a year and don't feel like dealing with the hassle) I'd prolly get one as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yep. But personally I have never had one of mine to jam. But I have had auto's jam on more than one occasion. During the training class I had to take for the conceal/carry permit here in Ohio, one of the people there had a Sig .380 auto which jammed 3 times.

But there are advantages and disadvantages to both types and no firearm is totally immune to malfunction. If not the pistol itself as you mentioned, the ammo can be bad.
    I've had moonclips on a 45 acp revolver get bent just a little bit and lock up a competition gun.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    They are big enough I cant see a buttstock being a major issue, especially given the downsides of not having one. Then again, the only firearm I carried in the Navy was a .38Spl.....
    Yeah, in the 90s, US submarines carried Mossberg cruisers, .45 Smith & Wessons (primarily for topside sentries), one pump action shotgun (various manufacturers, full stock, again for topside sentries), and usually two M-14s to keep the sharks off of the divers. Later in the decade, the .45s were replaced by 9mm Berettas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Revolvers don't jam.
    Lots of things can jam revolvers, actually. With any firearm your problems would be:
    1) Ammo
    2) Maintenance
    3) Defect

Obviously if the gun is defective, it doesn't matter if it's a semi-auto or a revolver or whatever.

Ammo, the revolver does have the advantage that if your round is a dud you can just pull the trigger again and go to the next round in the cylinder. Otherwise an expanded casing can jam the cylinder, a blown primer also, lots of things that can go wrong. Stick with good ammo, shouldn't have an issue. Same goes for semi-auto's though.

Maintenance, ugh, like Glocks and AK's, folks believe a revolver is infallible and don't take care of them. This causes so many problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    10mm is what you seek.
    Yeah, this is the perfect place for a Glock 20 or 40. Good, reliable, tough as nails, weather proof, 15+1 rounds. Sure it may not be as powerful as some 44mag rounds, but you do get triple!
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    And since we now (finally) have a thread about guns that isn't gun control, I feel comfortable posting glorious pics of my babies.

And especially since it's an "American Guns" thread, I present the Loaded M1A:

Optics: Zeiss Victory FL Diavari 6-24x56 T*
    Bipod: Harris 1A2-BRM

Have you guys seen this retarded shit?

The dumbest fad in a long time.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    The skeletonizing? There's a handful of instances where I really like how it was done, but most are overkill and probably detrimental to the performance/maintenance of the gun.

Skeletonized uppers are dumb (short of the barrel shroud). Skeletonized lowers/grips? Meh, do whatever you want, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Yeah, in the 90s, US submarines carried Mossberg cruisers, .45 Smith & Wessons (primarily for topside sentries), one pump action shotgun (various manufacturers, full stock, again for topside sentries), and usually two M-14s to keep the sharks off of the divers. Later in the decade, the .45s were replaced by 9mm Berettas.
    The Navy kept the M1911 and M14 in common use longer than any other service.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey View Post
    My thoughts exactly, although I did take the time and look it up, apparently NV doesn't have a minimum rifle calibre for deer hunting outside of muzzle loaders, and no specific pistol season, so not sure the appeal. That said from my browsing of hunting forums seems the recommended minimum for mule deer is .243 with 30-30, .308 and 30-06 being the common choices.
    In most states, the .243 is the minimum legal deer round.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Lots of things can jam revolvers, actually. With any firearm your problems would be:
    1) Ammo
    2) Maintenance
    3) Defect

Obviously if the gun is defective, it doesn't matter if it's a semi-auto or a revolver or whatever.

Ammo, the revolver does have the advantage that if your round is a dud you can just pull the trigger again and go to the next round in the cylinder. Otherwise an expanded casing can jam the cylinder, a blown primer also, lots of things that can go wrong. Stick with good ammo, shouldn't have an issue. Same goes for semi-auto's though.

Maintenance, ugh, like Glocks and AK's, folks believe a revolver is infallible and don't take care of them. This causes so many problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, this is the perfect place for a Glock 20 or 40. Good, reliable, tough as nails, weather proof, 15+1 rounds. Sure it may not be as powerful as some 44mag rounds, but you do get triple!
    The best 10mm is about equal to a low end .44Mag, which can be 2X as powerful as the 10mm in top loadings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The Navy kept the M1911 and M14 in common use longer than any other service.
    Yeah, the M14 was the first rifle I learned to shoot. (I didn't grow up with guns and had to discover them in the service.) I liked it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the M14 was the first rifle I learned to shoot. (I didn't grow up with guns and had to discover them in the service.) I liked it.
    I really liked it. Was easy to load, not overly heavy and very accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    And since we now (finally) have a thread about guns that isn't gun control, I feel comfortable posting glorious pics of my babies.

And especially since it's an "American Guns" thread, I present the Loaded M1A:

Optics: Zeiss Victory FL Diavari 6-24x56 T*
    Bipod: Harris 1A2-BRM
    Very nice. How expensive are they to purchase?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a good rifle, though I have to admit I prefer the FN-FAL slightly over it. I would take either over the M-16/M-4.

Quote Originally Posted by metadox View Post
    If you had a choice to pick a classic or a modern american gun to keep you safe, which one would you pick??

I would love one of these but hard to pick:

1) Revolver
    2) Magnum 44
    3) Peacemaker
    Colt 1911A1

Low ammo capacity but good stopping power.