Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    80 vs 85% if you're talking about electric kettle vs induction. You have no heat loss from the source itself.
    Takes electricity to run the source, which where I am is created by burning natural gas. So ultimately I'm burning natural gas either way.

Yeah, I'll just have my roommate not run the hair dryer for a few minutes to offset it all.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

My everyday morning dirt coffee maker is an electric kettle. But if I am making a good coffee or a tea I use the stove kettle.

edit: By the way I think the new way of proving you are a fucking idiot is to argue about your method of boiling water on the internet is better and actually defending it or slinging it as something superior...

Just sayin..
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2017-03-11 at 04:38 AM.

I do mine with a magnifying glass and the sun...
    Last edited by belfpala; 2017-03-11 at 04:53 AM.

Yeah, science debates are fucking stupid.
    Yeah let us science the shit out of I boil water this way and its better than the way you boil water because you know.. mother fuckin science.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a standard kettle. not electric.

What's an electric Kettle?

here's the question that suddenly occurred to me. are you people actualy... brew tea with boiling water? WHY? you are literally ruining the taste, not to mention... don't you burn your tongue, or do you then have to add cold water or ice to cool it back down or what? https://www.twoleavestea.com/water-temperature/ you actualy do NOT want to brew anything with boiling water - its literally why high end electric kettles have temperature gauges so that you do NOT overheat the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    here's the question that suddenly occurred to me. are you people actualy... brew tea with boiling water? WHY? you are literally ruining the taste, not to mention... don't you burn your tongue, or do you then have to add cold water or ice to cool it back down or what? https://www.twoleavestea.com/water-temperature/ you actualy do NOT want to brew anything with boiling water - its literally why high end electric kettles have temperature gauges so that you do NOT overheat the water.
    lol, I was going to point this out earlier in the thread. Different teas even have different ideal brewing temps, as do coffees (although I assume your link says that.

Anyway, you people are all doing it wrong.

In America, we do it like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BY0WLW0

The Handpresso Auto Travel Set allows you to brew espresso in your car with all the essentials provided. The Handpresso Auto Travel Set fits easily underneath your car seat or in your glove compartment. It also comes with a small but rugged carrying case to protect your on-the go espresso machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Avlivar View Post
    What's an electric Kettle?
    That was my thought. Is it like a self-heating kettle or something?

My wife has a kettle on the stove she uses every morning. She won't take her tea water microwaved- says it doesn't taste as good.

As an Australian, I have both an electric kettle and a stove one for in cases where the power goes out.

Personally, I find the electric kettle to be a more convenient option to boil water. Having a designated appliance for boiling water means my microwave and pots/stove are free for use if I am ever making a cup of tea whilst cooking (which is like basically everytime I cook).

It also provides a more convenient means of managing the water once it is boiling. For example pouring from a pot off the stove is not a great way to avoid spills. Similarly putting something in the microwave often means my container is as hot as the contents. So if I put a cup in there then my cup is now boiling hot too (handle and all).

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    Americans don't drink tea.
    Tea is one of the most healthy drinks available. Tea is full of anti -cancer antioxidants and helps with circulation of the blood.

http://www.today.com/series/one-smal...ing-tea-t81111

Here are the top 10 health benefits of tea:

Tea contains antioxidants. ...
    Tea has less caffeine than coffee. ...
    Tea may reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. ...
    Tea may help with weight loss. ...
    Tea may help protect your bones. ...
    Tea may keep your smile bright. ...
    Tea may boost the immune system. ...
    Tea may help battle cancer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I don't equate that with boiling water, which is what I use the kettle for. If I want my water to boil, I'll use a kettle or pot. If I'm just warming it I'll use the microwave. People on here were stating they used the microwave for boiling, which I've never seen anyone do. Also the thread was about electric kettles, so my mind went to boiling.
    ....it takes 2 minutes on my microwave for a mug of water to boil.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

but but but the microwave beams destroy the natural energy swing of the water, giving you cancer! (esoteric mum inc)!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Tea is one of the most healthy drinks available. Tea is full of anti -cancer antioxidants and helps with circulation of the blood.

http://www.today.com/series/one-smal...ing-tea-t81111
    This is not how you make a compelling argument... I'll break it down for you:

Here are the top 10 health benefits of tea:
    Tea contains antioxidants. ...
    That's a benefit. But only one. The others...
    Tea has less caffeine than coffee. ...
    That's like saying beer is a healthy drink, because it has less alcohol than vodka.

Tea may reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. ...
    Tea may help with weight loss. ...
    Tea may help protect your bones. ...
    Tea may keep your smile bright. ...
    Tea may boost the immune system. ...
    Tea may help battle cancer.
    Or it may not, just saying......
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Im sorry but... What is up with the topics at 4am EST? Is this when the loony bins have net access? How am I responding to a topic that is beyond comprehension twice in a night. Do you think America dosnt have access to something the rest of the world has? Welcome to 2017.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Lol I saw that article and thought WTF

While using an electric kettle to heat water is commonplace in Australia, it was learned that many Americans actually use the microwave to get their water to boiling point.
    A wave of disbelief washed over Twitter when this was discovered.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...alians-just-a/
    In my 27 years of life I have never seen anyone in america do this. Most ppl are normal. Not to doubt you that people do, but not that ive seen in NY.

I despise microwaves. Im absolutely repulsed by them. I have never eaten food from them that was even in the ballpark of "good". (let alone beverages which I didn't even know was a microwavable thing.)
    Last edited by Recyclebin; 2017-03-11 at 09:36 AM.

80 vs 85% if you're talking about electric kettle vs induction. You have no heat loss from the source itself.
    85% is how much heat reaches the pan, that is the starting point(and this may very well be optimistic since the 85% figure seems to be a bit of a misnomer, actually more like 70% https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-201...12.pdf#page=17). If you do an actual test the efficiency will go downhill from there(just like in my link where they cannot break 80% for a full test). If you are using a steel kettle you can forget it the losses will be huge since an actual kettle is like a thermos. Since kettle coils are submerged their efficiency is greater than 90%. 80% is the practical efficiency of boiling water from beginning to end, all losses accounted for. It is actually really impressive.

You really have to wonder why everyone is not making induction powered kettles eh?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Whaaat THE SHIT IS THIS?!

You put your water in the MICROWAVE.. or the OVEN!? Hahahahaha, why not just beat two rocks together till you have boiled water? I think there was even one guy that said you cant put noodles in an electric kettle? LOL, oh if only there was a way to combine the cooking water with the noodles in some other way..

This is srsleh funny stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Takes as long to "boil" water in the microwave as it does in an electric kettle.

Why would anyone buy a kettle, that only has a single use(to boil water), when there are many more options available that do the same thing in practically the same time while also providing FAR more functionality?

That sounds sane. To go out and spend money to get something I already have.
    It's faster and more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    Americans don't drink tea.
    BLANK doesn't do BLANK is always a factually incorrect statement. My moms as American as they come (born again christian ("Jesus is my salvation") Republican and everything) and shes obsessed with tea of all varieties from all over the world. I personally dont like it... but that has nothing to do with my home land. Also..... Boston tea party anyone?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Recyclebin View Post
    In my 27 years of life I have never seen anyone in america do this. Most ppl are normal. Not to doubt you that people do, but not that ive seen in NY.

I despise microwaves. Im absolutely repulsed by them. I have never eaten food from them that was even in the ballpark of "good". (let alone beverages which I didn't even know was a microwavable thing.)
    Do you consider yourself normal? And how the hell didn't you know beverages are a microwavable thing? Someone's been skipping science lessons in school...