Thread: Gtx 1080

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    You know, cause Maxwell causes get no performance increase with DX12/Vulkan? The new driver update is suppose to be a 20%-30% performance increase in Dx12 games. If this does nothing for Maxwell cards, it's probably safe to say I told you so.

Also the 1080 Ti reviews are out and it's faster than a Titan, at least that's what I've heard. Drivers came out at the perfect moment.

https://www.vortez.net/articles_page..._review,1.html
    obviously they are, they are the drivers to include 1080Ti cards which go on sale today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post

It's basically the first true 60fps@4k ultra card.
    My thoughts as well. Been waiting for a couple of years to finally see a single card (that isn't a Titan) handily run games at 4k above 60 FPS.

All we need now is the ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ to come along and not cost $1500-2k USD.

The 1080ti is already sold out everywhere in the US it seems. That didn't take long.

10+ Year Old Account

I'll be honest, I did it for the sticker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    The 1080ti is already sold out everywhere in the US it seems. That didn't take long.
    Newegg still has the Asus FE version up for $699. I'm waiting for the MSI Gaming X / Z variant so still a couple of more weeks wait for me. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    1080p is 1k and 1440p is 2k and 4k is 2160p. So 4k is just more peasants. But quality beats quantity.
    Never forgot that:
    Quantity has a quality all it's own. - Stalin
    Last edited by ovm33; 2017-03-10 at 08:26 PM.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    No, 1080p is not 1k. Do you even know what the 4k in 4k means? It means Approximately 4000 Horizontal Pixels because 4x is 3840x2160. 3840 Horizontal pixels and 2160 Vertical Pixels. Hench 4k. 1440p is 2560x1440. 2560 is not approximately 2k, so 1440p can not be called 2k, if anything, it is 2.5k. 1080p is 1920x1080. Approximately 2000 horizontal pixels. 1080p is 2k.

So no, 1080p is not 1k, it's 2k. 1440p is not 2k, it's not anything-k. Maybe you could call it 2.5k, but that's just silly.
    Please forgive me oh the greatest one. For not bothering with the exact math while trying to get the joke across which had nothing to do with decimal precision.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Please forgive me oh the greatest one. For not bothering with the exact math while trying to get the joke across which had nothing to do with decimal precision.
    I cant count on my hands/feet anymore how many times I have seen Lathais bring this up.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    There are some 5040x2160 (UWUHD if you need a name but I doubt people will actually use the term) TVs out there (well they're 105" and cost more than some apartments =p)

We should be seeing some monitors soon I think, but it would need to be very big for you to be able to use it without using DPI scaling and we all know how well Windows DPI scaling is... (At 57" we'd have 96.2 pixels per inch and that's really close to the "standard" 96 which represents the real size of things in Windows).

If I were in charge of designing one, I'd make it 28.5" so I would end up with 192.4 pixels per inch, which makes it fit perfectly in the 200% scaling option (and this one is the only one that works half correctly because you always have 4 real pixels for any real state pixel, instead of some floating point value that screws everything).
    Make it color calibrated, 144Hz, and VA/something else awesome and I'll be sold!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't bother with him man. He's just angry lately. Also, for what it's worth... You were a bit more correct. True 2k is 2048x (unspecified) and REAL (read: true) 4k is actually the resolution you listed, 4096x2160.

So if someone wants to correct you on specifics, well, that's just silly. Here, have a source, @Lathais.

https://www.cnet.com/news/tv-resolut...they-all-mean/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Make it color calibrated, 144Hz, and VA/something else awesome and I'll be sold!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't bother with him man. He's just angry lately. Also, for what it's worth... You were a bit more correct. True 2k is 2048x (unspecified) and REAL (read: true) 4k is actually the resolution you listed, 4096x2160.

So if someone wants to correct you on specifics, well, that's just silly. Here, have a source, @Lathais.

https://www.cnet.com/news/tv-resolut...they-all-mean/
    He was wrong and artorius and lathais were correct actually.

"That means 1080p is not "1K." It's 2K, as much as UHD TVs are 4K. Which is to say, at 1,920x1,080 they're close to the DCI's 2K specification of 2,048. That said, most people don't call 1080p 2K; they call it 1080p or Full HD."

Taken from your article

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    He was wrong and artorius and lathais were correct actually.

"That means 1080p is not "1K." It's 2K, as much as UHD TVs are 4K. Which is to say, at 1,920x1,080 they're close to the DCI's 2K specification of 2,048. That said, most people don't call 1080p 2K; they call it 1080p or Full HD."

Taken from your article
    I get you.

It is like they were all a little wrong, though I didn't quite see where @Artorius posted. Q.Q

Close to 4k is not true 4k, just like close to 2k is not true 2k. If people want to get specific, then they need to make sure what they post is entirely true, otherwise everyone looks just a little dumb, as we can see here. hehe
    "A flower.

I don't want to make too big a deal of it, it's just that the guy said 1080p is 1k which is actually almost 2k so that's more then a little wrong.

screen resolutions get referenced in too many different ways and then you get these incorrect statements. Anyways, this is way afftopic so gonna leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I get you.

It is like they were all a little wrong, though I didn't quite see where @Artorius posted. Q.Q

Close to 4k is not true 4k, just like close to 2k is not true 2k. If people want to get specific, then they need to make sure what they post is entirely true, otherwise everyone looks just a little dumb, as we can see here. hehe
    No matter how you slice it, 1080p is not 1k and 1440p is not 2k, despite people always referring to them as such. It's also pretty funny tht you say I'm wrong, quote a source and your source says what I said:
    But now that "4K" has gained traction as a term used to describe TVs and content, "2K" is becoming increasingly common as shorthand for the 1080p resolution used by most HDTVs, as well as Blu-ray. It's not technically accurate, but that didn't stop "4K" from becoming more popular than UHD.
    2k is becoming shorthand for 1080p the same way 4k became shorthand for 2160p/UHD. Calling 1080p 2k is commonly accepted. Calling it 1k is most certainly not accepted anywhere, neither is calling 1440p 2k.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are allowed to round 3840 to 4k, I'm allowed to round 1920 to 1k and 2560 to 2k, especially if it's not important. You just round up, I round down. And you cannot say I'm doing it the wrong way. Unless you are bad at math and computing.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Or just use the HD (1280*720), FHD (1920*1080), (W)QHD(2560*1440), UWQHD(3440*1440), UHD (3820*2160), DCI 4k (4096*2160) designations
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2017-03-11 at 09:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For what it's worth the actual TV and film industry doesn't care as much as this thread does right now (on a conversational level). When I was at NAB last year UHD was commonly referred to as 4K, especially in tongue, while if someone meant the other they'd specify "DCI"- or "cinema"-4K

Rounding 1920 to 1000 rather than 2000 is a bit of a stretch though That would confuse eeeveryyyonneeee
    Last edited by Wries; 2017-03-11 at 09:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Rounding 1920 to 1000 rather than 2000 is a bit of a stretch though That would confuse eeeveryyyonneeee
    Not stretch, the opposite - and it's the most honest one. 1920 actually has 1000 pixels. 2k lies about having 80 pixels more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not stretch, the opposite - and it's the most honest one. 1920 actually has 1000 pixels. 2k lies about having 80 pixels more.
    Fun read

We're way off topic with these troll posts though. Now all gaze upon my totally(maybewhoknowshaven'ttestedit) stable overclock:
    Last edited by Wries; 2017-03-11 at 11:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we forget the 1080Ti and argue about colorspaces now? Judging from all the resolution naming arguments it's surely a more important topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Can we forget the 1080Ti and argue about colorspaces now? Judging from all the resolution naming arguments it's surely a more important topic.
    Slightly related to the non-related topic, on my second PC I have set both my HDMI VA monitors to limited 16-235 range (with corresponding setting in the nvidia driver ofc) and I don't care They seem to like it more, easier to calibrate and no weird shifts in certain colors. Though we're talking basic 100 dollar monitors here.

Baaack to the 1080 Ti. I seem to finally, FINALLY, after all these years of buying hardware, have gotten a good sample of something. Hitting 2GHz at 77C on 90% fan speed atm without even touching voltage. My now sold-off 1080 (MSI gaming X super special mega duper card with extra power connector and extra phases and everything) struggled with 2GHz and that was about a 1000 CUDA cores less.

Don't have more time to play around with it for today, though. Let's just assume it will hit 3GHz

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap. Post in the gpu oc thread @Wries! That's awesome! I really want to see some bench results!
    "A flower.