Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Computer won't recognize GPU + 1 ram stick

Hiyo,

So, I finally bought a new PSU (SeaSonic G-650),
    Now it's all fine and dandy,
    I've plugged everything in (used the PCI-E cables that come already with the PSU, not the extra black cables to plug into the GPU),
    but it won't recognize it..

Also, for some reason, my system only recognizes 8GB Ram, while I have 16, now I've checked the sticks, they all look in perfect condition,
    (as far as what the eye can see), I don't see any burnt part or any physical damage.

Any suggestions to what could cause this weirdness?

Specs:

i7 7700
    Geforce GTX 980TI G1 Gaming
    HyperX Fury 2133mhz 8GB x2 (16GB)
    Asus H110m-K

Any sort of help will be greatly appreciated, and I'll send you a pie by mail.

Thanks in advance,
    Len.

Tried booting with only one stick? Check both.
    I guess you updated bios for Kaby Lake? Check settings there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Tried booting with only one stick? Check both.
    I guess you updated bios for Kaby Lake? Check settings there.
    Yeah, tried booting with 1 stick and it works,
    I've tried with one on both slots, and it worked,
    the other on both slots didn't, which means it's defected, I'm assuming? even though it has no physical dmg or any kind of dmg that is visible to the eye.. so that's strange (cause it's completely brand new, it's a few months old, not even).

As for the Kaby Lake, yeah, I've updated the whole thing, but I'm not sure what is it exactly I'm supposed to look for on BIOS Settings

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that one stick is probably rip. Ive had plenty of RAM sticks die over the years, it happens.

Im not sure why it doesnt recognize your gpu however. Hard to tell from here ;-)

Try a different pci slot maybe.

What " extra black cables " are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleZero View Post
    Yeah that one stick is probably rip. Ive had plenty of RAM sticks die over the years, it happens.

Im not sure why it doesnt recognize your gpu however. Hard to tell from here ;-)

Try a different pci slot maybe.

What " extra black cables " are you referring to?
    right,
    so there's like the x2 pci-e (6+2) cables that come out of the main "sleeve" since my PSU is semi modular,
    and they've also attached in a bag, like a gazillion black cables that you can use (pcie/cpu/sata/molex etc)

https://seasonic.com/product/g-650/

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ah, ok. I see.

Try using the extra cable labelled for pcie just to see wether it makes a difference.

For the GPU any lights indicating it's on? if not it's just not plugged in properly most likely. Make sure the card is fully slotted in and all PCI-e power connectors that can be attached to your card are. For your GPU that is TWO 8 pin connectors to your GPU or 6+2. If even then the card doesn't work test it in another system if you can. I'll deal with RAM next.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleZero View Post
    Ah, ok. I see.

Try using the extra cable labelled for pcie just to see wether it makes a difference.
    Nope, that's what I did, it didn't do anything,
    The fans are like fully blown spinning, and make tons of noise, like they're on some turbo mode,
    And I'm afraid it'll cause damage to the card

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Nope, that's what I did, it didn't do anything,
    The fans are like fully blown spinning, and make tons of noise, like they're on some turbo mode,
    And I'm afraid it'll cause damage to the card
    My post is still relevant but you answered what I needed. You're 100% plugged into the back of the card for your display outs yeah? Not the onboard graphics. You're getting into the bios when booting with the card right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    My post is still relevant but you answered what I needed. You're 100% plugged into the back of the card for your display outs yeah? Not the onboard graphics. You're getting into the bios when booting with the card right?
    Hey Myth,

Thanks for the replies,
    Sorry, I'm not quite sure I'm following..

My mobo only has 1 slot for a video card, I plugged it in good, put also the screws to tighten it and get a better grip,
    And I've plugged in the two PCI-E's (6+2), and it turns on, the fans are fully blasting (which they shouldn't, they should actually not even work unless they're under pressure), and there's light and everything, and it also makes awful lot of noise cause of the fans,
    but it's not recognized... idk why, and what the hell i'm supposed to do :/

What do you mean by "Not recognized" are you not getting into the bios with the card in? IE is it just sitting there running but not giving you a display?

What do you mean by "Not recognized" are you not getting into the bios with the card in? IE is it just sitting there running but not giving you a display?
    Everything works fine,
    The card works, the fans are just fullblown speeding and make awful lot of noise, which is not supposed to happen,
    the computer doesn't recognize that I have the card, when I downloaded the correct driver for it from Nvidia, it says that there is no GPU that can be discovered,
    I don't see the GPU on the bios either..

IMO GPU is dead, but you should try in different PC to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    IMO GPU is dead, but you should try in different PC to be sure.
    How could it possibly be dead if all the lights are working and the fans are spinning?

How could it possibly be dead if all the lights are working and the fans are spinning?
    Because fans and lights do not require GPU chip/die to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Could it be because my monitor is connected to the MOBO on board graphics and not directly to the card?

My monitor has only HDMI and VGA,
    but my card doesn't have VGA, it has DVI, HDMI etc..
    Could this be possibly causing the problem that it's not recognized? if I would get like a VGA->DVI dongle or something like that?

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Could it be because my monitor is connected to the MOBO on board graphics and not directly to the card?

Could this be possibly causing the problem that it's not recognized? if I would get like a VGA->DVI dongle or something like that?
    Go in to BIOS and disable onboard video. Save settings and reboot and it should work. Remember to plug your monitor to the GFX card
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Do what pansertjald said, are you plugging your monitors into your GPU outputs or your motherboard outputs? Because you shouldn't even get to your desktop if you're plugged into the GPU outputs and something isn't working.

But yes that's exactly what the issue is. The motherboard connectors are your "internal graphics" you want your GPU's graphics.

Do what pansertjald said, are you plugging your monitors into your GPU outputs or your motherboard outputs? Because you shouldn't even get to your desktop if you're plugged into the GPU outputs and something isn't working.

But yes that's exactly what the issue is. The motherboard connectors are your "internal graphics" you want your GPU's graphics.

No, I'm not plugging it to the GPU, but to the motherboard,
    But even if, shouldn't it still recognize it ? (atleast on device manager)

And could a GPU be faulty or dead, and still "work" ? as in fans fullspeed spinning and lights working?

No, I'm not plugging it to the GPU, but to the motherboard,
    But even if, shouldn't it still recognize it ? (atleast on device manager)

And could a GPU be faulty or dead, and still "work" ? as in fans fullspeed spinning and lights working?
    No it wouldn't detect the GPU if you were plugged into onboard graphics no. So plug your monitor into the GPU that would fix your issues more than likely.

Edited: Maybe it is faulty? I don't know super strange issue. But if you could plug into the GPU to verify the GPU isn't working would be grand.
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2017-03-11 at 05:26 PM.