Thread: Gtx 1080

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Slightly related to the non-related topic, on my second PC I have set both my HDMI VA monitors to limited 16-235 range (with corresponding setting in the nvidia driver ofc) and I don't care They seem to like it more, easier to calibrate and no weird shifts in certain colors. Though we're talking basic 100 dollar monitors here.
    Issue is you need the color range for both the monitor and the driver to match else it looks weird. Limited RGB isn't really good though. It destroys dark and bright content due to how it works. Anything below 16 gets turned as black and anything about 235 gets turned as the max color of whatever color channel it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Can we forget the 1080Ti and argue about colorspaces now? Judging from all the resolution naming arguments it's surely a more important topic.
    No! we must keep the monitors in the srgb range cause fuck everything. Or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Holy crap. Post in the gpu oc thread @Wries! That's awesome! I really want to see some bench results!
    I just might! I'm stuck at 2050-2080MHz now. Can't touch voltage and not sure if it's a Nvidia issued restriction or if MSI AB needs an update.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Issue is you need the color range for both the monitor and the driver to match else it looks weird. Limited RGB isn't really good though. It destroys dark and bright content due to how it works. Anything below 16 gets turned as black and anything about 235 gets turned as the max color of whatever color channel it is.

No! we must keep the monitors in the srgb range cause fuck everything. Or something.
    Honestly though you should've read what you quoted. I hold you to a higher standard as a mod. The driver is correctly set, I'm not crushing blacks or the like. The monitors just behave oddly while adjusting white balance in 0-255 mode. I blame the fact that they were very cheap. Still like em, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly though you should've read what you quoted. I hold you to a higher standard as a mod. The driver is correctly set, I'm not crushing blacks or the like. The monitors just behave oddly while adjusting white balance in 0-255 mode. I blame the fact that they were very cheap. Still like em, though.
    Mod really has nothing to do with it. I'm very well aware of you saying the driver. I'm also very well aware that Nvidia had issues with full RGB with HDMI before and sometimes driver updates gets it removed or stuck somehow. I'm very well aware of the issues there. And describe what you mean odd with adjusting white balance, cause well... I'm only describing what happens in limited RGB. The nature of limited RGB crushes blacks by the way, not just a setting mismatch. It may very well be that your monitor is going full retard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Mod really has nothing to do with it. I'm very well aware of you saying the driver. I'm also very well aware that Nvidia had issues with full RGB with HDMI before and sometimes driver updates gets it removed or stuck somehow. I'm very well aware of the issues there. And describe what you mean odd with adjusting white balance, cause well... I'm only describing what happens in limited RGB. The nature of limited RGB crushes blacks by the way, not just a setting mismatch. It may very well be that your monitor is going full retard.
    Though you're adding things you were "well aware of" but wasn't at all in your first reply.

I can calibrate the monitor to set a reference picture to look the way it's supposed to do but say I change to another reference picture (say first one has an orange on it and second is of a mostly blue landscape) I use and it will look way off. I set the driver and monitor to limited range this behavior isn't there anymore and I can set a reliable picture. Now a normal person wouldn't care but with a background in color correction it annoyed me.

This isn't related to the Nvidia driver either. I have a blackmagic card for video reference purposes and if I in Resolve set the output to RGB and try calibrating I get the same behavior. The thing about limiting RGB "always" crushing blacks is .. well it's complicated. Obviously you're working with a lesser luma range but the matrixes that re-maps these values are usually pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Though you're adding things you were "well aware of" but wasn't at all in your first reply.

I can calibrate the monitor to set a reference picture to look the way it's supposed to do but say I change to another reference picture (say first one has an orange on it and second is of a mostly blue landscape) I use and it will look way off. I set the driver and monitor to limited range this behavior isn't there anymore and I can set a reliable picture. Now a normal person wouldn't care but with a background in color correction it annoyed me.

This isn't related to the Nvidia driver either. I have a blackmagic card for video reference purposes and if I in Resolve set the output to RGB and try calibrating I get the same behavior. The thing about limiting RGB "always" crushing blacks is .. well it's complicated. Obviously you're working with a lesser luma range but the matrixes that re-maps these values are usually pretty good.
    Are you calibrating just by the monitor's RGB values? Cause that's not going to do much and would explain a lot. You have to calibrate it with a colorimeter or photospectrometer and the accompanying software making a custom color profile.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So TTL had pointed out how there was a third, unused 8 pin power connector on the reference/fe 1080 Ti pcb. As well as other things like chokes and whatnot that there are obviously planned spots for and I am just wondering if maybe this is for a potential 1090? :x
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I'll be honest, I did it for the sticker
    Are those the inferior fan versions?

Deleted
    I'd never would buy a Reference Version GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Are those the inferior fan versions?
    Yes.*

*They've improved the crap out of the reference card coolers over the years.
    "A flower.

Yes.*

They sure did.

Yes.*

Yes, but the stock coolers are still the limiting factor. The third party cards are far better for that, they're cooler, quieter and more effective. Especially if you do any overclocking, the stock cooler just chokes the performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    Yes, but the stock coolers are still the limiting factor. The third party cards are far better for that, they're cooler, quieter and more effective. Especially if you do any overclocking, the stock cooler just chokes the performance.
    Absolutely not denying that!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    That's the same Pascal one that's been out for almost a year or so now. it's what the 1080 Ti is based on.
    "A flower.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's the same Pascal one that's been out for almost a year or so now. it's what the 1080 Ti is based on.
    That was Titan X. This is Titan Xp

10+ Year Old Account
    rofl wow. Just looked a little closer.

NVidia seriously needs to stop beating around the bush. We had a Titan X before the new Pascal Titan X that came out a year or two ago. Linus among other reviewers, as well as people on forums, were like "let's call it the Titan Xp! P for Pascal!" So we've been doing that for a solid year. Then the 1080 Ti came out, it's better than that.

Now NVidia finally decided to call it the Xp, but I see, I just looked at the old Titan X on Newegg and now it's just got "Titan" on the label, but still says Titan X in the name.

Fuckin' a NVidia. Get your shit together. They could just go Titan, Titan X, Titan Xp, and now this new one should be like Titan Xp+ or some bullshit.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

- - - Updated - - -

Here ya go. This one has a nice chart.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/gtx-...tan-x-vs-titan

So, we've already had two Titan X's. Careful when you do the eyerolling. We've had a Titan X Pascal, and now they're making a new one... with almost exactly the same specs. Just tuned up to beat the 1080 Ti.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    LOL... this is the full fat GP102 die now just like the Quadro P6000.
    I said they'd release it... this is the Original GTX Titan and GTX Titan Black after the 780 Ti all over again.

Funny thing is we had a whole argument about it on this forum and I said it would happen almost exactly like this.
    I was told it would never happen, it was an exception and not true blah blah blah... Now guess who was right bitchez!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    LOL... this is the full fat GP102 die now just like the Quadro P6000.
    I said they'd release it... this is the Original GTX Titan and GTX Titan Black after the 780 Ti all over again.

Funny thing is we had a whole argument about it on this forum and I said it would happen almost exactly like this.
    I was told it would never happen, it was an exception and not true blah blah blah... Now guess who was right bitchez!
    I just wish NVidia would actually start naming and labeling more correctly.

We had a Maxwell Titan X. Cool. Then they released the first Pascal Titan X last August... wait, another Titan X? Why the same bloody name? This is when they should have started the whole Xp thing or something. Fucking Linus came up with it for Pete's sake.

If they release another "Titan X" on the next architecture I'm going to have a heart attack. This is so dumb. lol seriously who does this?
    "A flower.