Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    It's the person behind this project. If Elon Musk said he made such a discovery, everyone would flip their shit no matter what the stage was. Go check on who Goodenough is.
    I am not sure that is a great metric lol. Elon musk said he was going to make tunnel building 10x faster, a decision he made in his car in traffic one afternoon.
    Said another way - we have been digging tunnels for centuries but everyone working on it is too dumb. It is not a great outlook for rapid advancement, honestly.
    People flip shit and it probably is not going to happen, just like these batteries. I am not kidding. SEVERAL times per year.

The other side of the story is your phone is now 20% thinner(and is so edgy you can cut yourself with it), has one third the battery, costs the same, still runs out every afternoon.

Did I mention that we have several new, revolutionary battery technologies announced every single year? That is why no one is excited. But I guess it is not carbon nanotubes. Did you know they can be used as batteries too? That was filed under last years amazing battery storage breakthrough discoveries that theoretically are so great but have gone dark since then, just like the rest of them. There is the science, but the kicker is there is also the engineering. Super capacitors, anyone remember those? Metal foam batteries? uh, there is a lot more but eventually you just glaze over. Just another one in the pile, sorry mate, even if it is a notable guy saying it because to be fair most of these announcements come from highly credibly places.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    Seriously, announcement of improvements like this have been released on a pretty much weekly basis for the past few years.
    ^This

I hear about a new "battery breakthrough" every other week, just about. Yet my iPhone still goes 100% to 10% in a single day.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    One problem was the Battery but the price droped from 1000$+ to 220$ and is even falling more.
    Another is that the Oil Industry dont want cheap electric cars so you wont see VW or Toyota mass produce e-cars in the near future.
    But those are still pennies compared to the price of the car itself. A rounding error basically.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    ^This

I hear about a new "battery breakthrough" every other week, just about. Yet my iPhone still goes 100% to 10% in a single day.
    You can call Apple and ask them why their programs are deliberately made to damage and lower the battery life. Hint: So that you buy new phone soon enough.

They aren't the only offenders on that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    ^This

You can now charge them wireless though! /snart

I agree that we had lots of promising announcements go down the drain lately. Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK this is already being strongly tested and is apparently working already, unlike nano this and that, which was maybe even just theoretical work.

New battery inventions pop up almost monthly. Until anything is released to public I dont believe anything what comes up and is advertised as the new breakthrouh

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    imagine a tesla with a 1,005 mile range. this would more than likely make electric cars fully viable for consumers if they can keep costs down.
    Actually Tesla is a battery company.

Tesla Isn’t an Automaker. It’s a Battery Company. Musks goal is build a better battery. Plain and simple.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Actually Tesla is a battery company.

Tesla Isn’t an Automaker. It’s a Battery Company. Musks goal is build a better battery. Plain and simple.
    and yet, this battery technology makes their cars better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Musks goal is build a better battery. Plain and simple.
    Not really, what he's doing is making them cheaper. The batteries he's making currently are bog standard LiIons, they're just being produced on a massive scale and thus more cheaply.

I assume they're probably doing some R&D, but better isn't the primary focus.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...hium-ion-cells

I sure hope that this is good enough

- - - Updated - - -

This could literally increase our electric car range by threefold .... nobody interested in talking about this new discovery?
    will this battery make my potential electric vehicle perform to the same level as my fuel operated one?
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    will this battery make my potential electric vehicle perform to the same level as my fuel operated one?
    If what they say actually has any merit to it, it might even outperform them by about 50%, depending on how fuel efficient your petrol car is.

not interested in efficiency. that is for tree huggers. I am intersted in output. my truck would pull an electric car sideways.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

John B. Goodenough? I want his name
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    not interested in efficiency. that is for tree huggers. I am intersted in output. my truck would pull an electric car sideways.
    I don't know about that. There's a lot of torque in them electric cars.

15+ Year Old Account
    Whatever the future of batteries shall be - one thing is sure: they can't use lithium. We are running out of lithium on this planet pretty soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you just mean speed? Tesla's can already go fast.
    If you mean torque, I'm not sure. Don't think they have too many electric trucks, and a truck will beat a car in that department usually when models and year are similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    If you mean torque, I'm not sure. Don't think they have too many electric trucks, and a truck will beat a car in that department usually when models and year are similar.
    He will be surprised when he finds out the tesla weighs 18.6 tonnes and ends up hauling him down the highway.

But seriously, one has to consider a tesla does not have gears. Your torque at the hubcaps in even a pretty shitty vehicle can be rather high in 1st gear(1000s of nm). I expect a diesel truck would absolutely roflstomp a tesla in a tug of war.

just for shits and giggles:

tesla 9.7:1 900ft/lb

torque at hubcaps = 8700

My evo 300ft/lb or there abouts,

1st gear + final drive 2.928+4.53 which unless my brain is failing me gives a 13.26 ratio.

torque at hubcaps = 3979
    Last edited by Afrospinach; 2017-03-12 at 12:27 AM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Electric motors beat conventional ones in pretty much every performance category, they're lighter more powerful, more reliable. Among other things, they have far more torque and have it essentially instantly, rather than needing to get the RPMs up.

It's the batteries that let electric vehicles down, not the motors. Thus the point of the thread.

They do have possibly two disadvantages from your point of view.

They can't generate large clouds of obnoxious black smoke

They can't generate obnoxiously loud noises.

I'm sure someone will enable both at some point.

Are you joking? Electric cars are much more power efficient as well already. High End E-Cars will put any modern combustion race car to shame, except maybe for million dollar cars like Koenigsegg or the new Chiron.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimac_Concept_One

0-100 in 2.5 seconds.

Stop thinking that E-Cars are all like the BMW i3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    tug of war.
    Which is like literally the last thing anybody should care about ;D

Which is like literally the last thing anybody should care about ;D
    Well I don't literally mean tie them together lol, just comparing pulling power.

From what I have read you do not want to be loading up a tesla motor anyway because they do overheat under prolonged high output. Definitely would not consider towing stuff around with one.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...hium-ion-cells

I sure hope that this is good enough

- - - Updated - - -

This could literally increase our electric car range by threefold .... nobody interested in talking about this new discovery?
    I thought this bit from the article was a bit bizarre:

"I’m a big fan of glass mats, because they have extremely shiny physical properties."

Ok, then.