Thread: Reno...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    "Hand" is separate from "deck" once the game starts. Its just that simple. Whether you disagree with the syntax, its been that way since day one.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrightrising View Post
    Please explain to me how when Reno Jackson gets DUPLICATED by what ever means into my opponents deck, how does he still trigger when played?. I just died to a mage after killing him twice becuase he brewmastered one, then he used soulstealer to get another into his deck. Now if im not mistaken Renos text says if there are no duplicates in your deck heal to blah blah blah. So how does this mechanic really work?
    As long as your opponent has no duplicate in his remaining deck at the moment he played reno, it will trigger. The cards he has played before, or the cards that are currently in his hand have no bearing, only thing that matter, is what he has in his deck at that moment, and that moment only.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    As to the second part google Card games glossary.
    There is no set definition, it's based on the game.

Ex- MtG it's called your library.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There is no set definition, it's based on the game.

Ex- MtG it's called your library.
    So the official meaning of "Deck" in Hearthstone is the collection of cards you build and play the game with unless it's written on a card when it changes and means the remaining pile of cards you draw from?

So the official meaning of "Deck" in Hearthstone is the collection of cards you build and play the game with unless it's written on a card when it changes and means the remaining pile of cards you draw from?
    You're overthinking it. Once cards are discarded or drawn, they're not part of the deck anymore.

Another MtG example. You build a library with cards. It's still a library when you start the game. When you draw the cards though, or add them to the "graveyard", it is no longer part of the library, so if you use a card that says "Search your library", you can't go looking through the graveyard just because they were part of your library at one point.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're overthinking it. Once cards are discarded or drawn, they're not part of the deck anymore.
    What is the name for the original set of cards you started the game with? List?

What is the name for the original set of cards you started the game with? List?
    In Hearthstone? It's still the deck. Just like in MtG, it's still a library.

What is considered the deck though changes as you play, as with all card games.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Hearthstone? It's still the deck. Just like in MtG, it's still a library.

What is considered the deck though changes as you play, as with all card games.
    My argument is the word can mean two different things, the original set and/or the remaining pile. When you're playing Control Warrior and down to the last card your deck is Control Warrior not Shield Slam.

My argument is the word can mean two different things, the original set and/or the remaining pile. When you're playing Control Warrior and down to the last card your deck is Control Warrior not Shield Slam.
    Thats the deck list.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taalyn View Post
    He's not arguing discrepancies between cards. He's saying when you go to My Collection you can create a new "deck." In this case deck means a collection of 30 cards you take with you into a game. Then you get into the game and deck now means cards not in your hand or already played.
    Before you draw cards, all 30 cards are in your deck.

Who cares about the exact wording? After experiencing Reno even once the mechanic is then made clear.

Tbh I find anyone who is confused by the wording on the card to be pretty dense in all honesty. Context clues are also helpful here, Reno is a battlecry effect, thus hinting that the effect does not track the deck when the game starts, but instead only checks for duplicates in the remainder of the deck upon playing Reno. Reno is not like Prince Malchezar where the effect happens right away.
    Last edited by Pantalaimon; 2017-03-12 at 12:12 AM.

You're talking about your deck's theme at that point.

That has nothing to do with the word meaning two different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Who cares about the exact wording? After experiencing Reno even once the mechanic is then made clear.
    That's the key.

That's the key.
    Yet as I later said you'd have to be a complete moron to think that a battlecry takes into account cards that cycle and are put into the deck before Reno's battlecry activates. No battlecry has worked like that before, there is no reason to start thinking cards like Reno are going to suddenly work any different. It is common sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Yet as I later said you'd have to be a complete moron to think that a battlecry takes into account cards that cycle and are put into the deck before Reno's battlecry activates. No battlecry has worked like that before, there is no reason to start thinking cards like Reno are going to suddenly work any different. It is common sense.
    Or a new player who isn't exactly sure and will default to the meaning of the word "deck" or will ask questions to be sure. I remember hundreds of people asking on Twitch for weeks when Reno came out, all morons of course.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2017-03-12 at 02:48 AM.

Or a new player who isn't exactly sure and will default to the meaning of the word "deck" or will ask questions to be sure.
    a new player running into a reno deck? they have more to worry about than card wording, like getting dumpstered real hard first of all, opponent probably not even needing to reno.

Or a new player who isn't exactly sure and will default to the meaning of the word "deck" or will ask questions to be sure. I remember hundreds of people asking on Twitch for weeks when Reno came out, all morons of course.
    It isn't going to kill a new player to misunderstand an unfamiliar card once, the first time they run into it, if for some reason they still don't understand the card. In the end this is really a non-issue.

A new player learns in the tutorial that you draw cards from your deck into your hand. Defaulting to the dictionary meaning of deck because you choose to ignore the terms explained in the tutorial (even though you're then confronted with the lack of the word 'stock' any time a Joust or shuffle into deck mechanic is used) is either just an excuse to argue, or you really being this dense/pedantic.

Also, most people asked about Reno because there were more wording issues and mechanic weirdness at the time, which have since been resolved.

PS: Control Warrior is a deck build, as in; you build your starting deck with these cards. Then you draw from them. Even bloody pokemon TCG uses the deck/hand/play/graveyard nomenclature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most would infer from the context what "Shuffle into your opponent's deck" will do.
    And most would infer from context that "deck" refers to the pile of cards that has yet to be drawn from.

Yet here we are.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrightrising View Post
    Please explain to me how when Reno Jackson gets DUPLICATED by what ever means into my opponents deck, how does he still trigger when played?. I just died to a mage after killing him twice becuase he brewmastered one, then he used soulstealer to get another into his deck. Now if im not mistaken Renos text says if there are no duplicates in your deck heal to blah blah blah. So how does this mechanic really work?
    I heard it is a bug with Reno that makes him not look at the cards in your hand and only look at the cards you havent drawn yet and it should be like that so it's a bug.