Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    The majority of funding does not come from the states or local governments. That's about 6% of the total funding, if you don't count grants.
    Why not count the grants? If NPR doesn't need government funding, why are Liberals all up in arms over their budget being cut? How is it fair to free press outlets, such as the New York Times, to pay taxes that go to a state ran media outlet that competes unfairly against them? I thought Liberals were supportive of free press. Why not just support truly free outlets, instead of propaganda machines, such as RT, NPR, and others?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Why is it better for governments to control the media though?
    Ok - I'm not sure if you are trolling or just ignorant - so here goes again:

Government is NOT CONTROLLING NPR, ABC(AU) or BBC.
    Government is FUNDING NPR, ABC(AU) and BBC - so they remain FREE of control.

Is that clear.

CNN, FOX, MSNBC, ABC (US) are all controlled editorially by their shareholders and owners.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    NPR is state funded propaganda, which is why each year it runs a big fundraiser to stay afloat. It's also at the same time an umbiased source, as agreed upon by everyone here.

Fucking genious.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

Is that clear.

CNN, FOX, MSNBC, ABC (US) are all controlled editorially by their shareholders and owners.
    Why is it bad for a free press outlet to speak as they wish? If I want to print a newspaper, why can't it say what I want it to say? That is literally the definition of freedom of speech. How is it "more free" to put government bureaucrats in charge of the editorial aspects of the media?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not count the grants? If NPR doesn't need government funding, why are Liberals all up in arms over their budget being cut? How is it fair to free press outlets, such as the New York Times, to pay taxes that go to a state ran media outlet that competes unfairly against them? I thought Liberals were supportive of free press. Why not just support truly free outlets, instead of propaganda machines, such as RT, NPR, and others?
    Government grants count for about 2%.

How is NPR not 'free'?

It's funded by government, and is editorially committed to the expansion of government on all levels. It's basically robots making robots.

Why not just celebrate and consume free press instead? Why is there a need for outlets such as RT, BBC, and NPR?
    Countless industries/companies are funded directly/indirectly by the government, in full or in part. Are they all government shills as well?

And the need for them is that they're not as reliant on market forces to stay afloat. Why do you think that the quality of online and broadcast news coverage has declined so much in recent years, parallel with the decline in the number of print newspapers/magazines?

Your post belies an ignorance of the media landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    NPR is state funded propaganda, which is why each year it runs a big fundraiser to stay afloat. It's also at the same time an umbiased source, as agreed upon by everyone here.
    Fucking genious.
    It is state run propaganda that spends much of its time attacking the idiocracy that is the current government. So much rationality in that view

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Is that clear.

It's against forum rules to call others trolls. Just sayin...

Why is it bad for a free press outlet to speak as they wish?
    It isn't bad - it is good. That's why BBC, ABC(AU) and NPR are such awesome media outlets.

They, unlike commercial media - are able to speak as they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Tell me again how we're a Christian nation.
    We are not and never have been.

It's against forum rules to call others trolls. Just sayin...
    I didn't call you a troll, please don't change my words.... I just said I wasn't sure about what you were doing, given you kept ignoring every word I said. You have me at a loss because every time I say the sky is blue, you ask me is the sky blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Countless industries/companies are funded directly/indirectly by the government, in full or in part. Are they all government shills as well?

And the need for them is that they're not as reliant on market forces to stay afloat. Why do you think that the quality of online and broadcast news coverage has declined so much in recent years, parallel with the decline in the number of print newspapers/magazines?

Your post belies an ignorance of the media landscape.
    I don't see a need to resort to name calling. I did not call you names. I don't see why I am not allowed to have a different opinion, without being called ignorant, or a troll.

I don't see a need to resort to name calling. I did not call you names. I don't see why I am not allowed to have a different opinion, without being called ignorant, or a troll.
    No-one is calling you a troll, or calling you ignorant.

We are merely pointing out that the irrational views you present don't make any sense - and are trying to understand why you have them.

If someone posts "the world is 6000 years old" - then they obviously aren't being rational, there must be some reason for the post. There are a limited number of options for that reason.

TLDR : attack the view, not the person. Your views are stupid, not you.

No-one is calling you a troll, or calling you ignorant.

We are merely pointing out that the irrational views you present don't make any sense - and are trying to understand why you have them.

If someone posts "the world is 6000 years old" - then they obviously aren't being rational, there must be some reason for the post. There are a limited number of options for that reason.

TLDR : attack the view, not the person. Your views are stupid, not you.
    I never said anything about the age of the world. I don't know what you are on about now.

I never called you stupid for having a different opinion from mine. Why not just be civil instead?

I never said anything about the age of the world.
    I'm using that as an example of an irrational view... that's all. Just like you saying something isn't free because it is free.

- - - Updated - - -

I never called you stupid for having a different opinion from mine
    This isn't about opinion ... your argument is irrational.

You are literally saying that the thing that makes these media outlets not free is the fact they are free.

Anyway ... I'm outta here. Getting too dangerous to be around you

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    We are not and never have been.
    Yeah, I was making a jab at fake Christians who support this sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...or-special-vis

Trump and the Republicans are seriously putting in every possible effort to get rid of any and all allies the USA has.
    Kek...Alternative news. This has nothing to do with the current administration. It happens every administration and every year.
    The US has a certain amount of Visas it gives out no matter where you are from or what you did. You don't get preferential treatment. It is on a first come first serve basis. It does not matter where you are from.

The title of the article is misleading at the very least. The people can "apply" all they want, they just won't get them. It is absolutely nothing against Afgans as the article implies as well. No one will be able to receive visas.

10+ Year Old Account
    media reliability / state sponsored issues are completely off topic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    The US has a certain amount of Visas it gives out no matter where you are from or what you did. You don't get preferential treatment.
    Incorrect.

The Afghan Allies Protection Act of 2009 established a program of special visas for these persons.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Now, those Afghanis who betrayed their people in hope to get a warm spot in USA are getting shafted? Good, no one likes traitors.