Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Rift getting abandoned?

seems like this is the case with trion having a Newer mmo to work with and other games my fears were confirmed today seeing news about one of the other games on the rift front page. and having an incomplete expansion kicked out the door SFP the writing in on the wall as they say.......

Like they say, "all good things must come to an end"

Some get there faster...

Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    Like they say, "all good things must come to an end"

Some get there faster...
    its a shame they shit on the loyal fans of the game just for a last cash grab

It's only a matter of time. They will shut the servers down as soon as something else is making them more money. There's no way they are making a decent profit at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by RiainED View Post
    It's only a matter of time. They will shut the servers down as soon as something else is making them more money. There's no way they are making a decent profit at this point.
    MMO's can survive for years in maintainance mode while still turning a small profit for the company. I doubt they'll just pull the plug the second it stops being their most profitable game. Let's face it, have you ever seen a company that hated making money? No, didn't think so .

It's extremely rare for an MMO to just flat out die. That being said, I do think you're right. Rift is probably going to be shut down sooner rather than later. They can still turn it around if, by some miracle, their new raid content is absolutely amazing but given Trions recent record I doubt that's going to be the case. I still plan on giving the chance to surprise me, but hopes aren't high for 4.1 being a success.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    All MMO's die eventually, which kind of makes me regret putting so much time into them.

Maybe when RIFT shuts down they'll have a single player client available for download so we don't loose our characters or access to the world but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by lokoma View Post
    its a shame they shit on the loyal fans of the game just for a last cash grab
    The entire market of anything everywhere is just a cash grab. Doesn't matter what it is.

Loyalty to a company is foolish.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    All MMO's die eventually, which kind of makes me regret putting so much time into them.

Maybe when RIFT shuts down they'll have a single player client available for download so we don't loose our characters or access to the world but I doubt it.
    Well, all people die eventually, but I don't regret putting time into that.

If Wow shuts down before I do for example, I will be happy I got such a great experience out of it.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by RiainED View Post
    It does not take much for an MMORPG to profit for years.

I used to work for two companies that ran MMORPGs; one of which was Frogster. A single server with just 8k active players was a HUGE profit for us. Enough to run that games for years and years. It's still running and that was almost 10 years ago.

Creating new assets, voice acting and advertising are the most costly things in game development. It's like the majority of a given game's budget actually. Rift doesn't have a lot of VO, they reuse many assets and advertising is almost strictly web-based banners.

If they have just 10k or so players across their regions it is very likely they are profitable.

MMOs are very difficult to 'kill'. Most can run for decades.

wee really have come full circle haven't wee :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post

You DIE at some point. Do you regret putting Time in your Life ?

A Rift thread on mmo-c? This will be entertaining. Anyways: Since the game is published by Trion... yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    A Rift thread on mmo-c? This will be entertaining. Anyways: Since the game is published by Trion... yes.
    You might notice that you're in the Video Games >> Rift section of the Mmo champ forums. They aren't exclusively WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebulatica View Post
    You might notice that you're in the Video Games >> Rift section of the Mmo champ forums. They aren't exclusively WoW.
    That's not what I was talking about. I meant the Slipmat/wocky colab.

Quote Originally Posted by lokoma View Post
    its a shame they shit on the loyal fans of the game just for a cash grab

They did that like 5 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    They did that like 5 years ago
    Actually 5 years ago the game was in an amazing place. Early Storm Legion was fine. Shit really went down the toilet with Nightmare Tide. Starfall is just an embarrassment to the MMORPG genre in general.

As I've said plenty of times if Rift's quality had kept on going since 5 years ago I would be playing today. But it hasn't.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-13 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Well, all people die eventually, but I don't regret putting time into that.

If Wow shuts down before I do for example, I will be happy I got such a great experience out of it.
    Yeah but you can't go back to it when you're older and crooked to get a feel for the nostalgia. It'll be long gone by then.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I loved RIFT in the beginning, But quit once the content started dipping. And boy did it dip fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebulatica View Post
    To be honest, I'm surprised Rift even has it's own sub-forum on here still. You would think it would of got removed by now same with SWTOR & GW2. Oh how far the proclaimed WoW Killers have fallen.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbs View Post
    Oh how far the proclaimed WoW Killers have fallen.
    Nobody outside of WoW fans looking to shit on other games and a hyperminority of the hardest of hardcore fans have unironically called a game a "WoW killer" since the days of WAR.