Old Model Animations

So, as someone who thinks more than half of the new models have absolutely horrendous animations (running seems to be especially hard to get right, but idle animations are sometimes bad too) - is there a way to get the old animations back?

To clarify, I'm not talking about spell animations or combat animations - I mostly think those are fine (except when you break your back while moving and using Slam as a NE male), but about the races' inherent animations.
    Last edited by Segus1992; 2017-03-12 at 04:19 PM.

Does unchecking the "Show New Character Models" affect the animation? If so, there is your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    Does unchecking the "Show New Character Models" affect the animation? If so, there is your answer.
    It does not, they removed that with Legion or even before that, I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    You can go back to using the old models via the interface, but I don't know if they use the older animations. If not, there's no way to change it, as far as I know.
    Well that's a shame, I guess the only thing I can do is hope they get the new models up to par at some point. Because it's likely that they'll ever work on them again, right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    Nope, I used the old Models because of that, only to have to use them now with Legion. The only difference between the old- and the new models is pretty much just how ugly your face looks. Everything else (running, spell/melee, even shoulder-armor positions) is 1:1 like the new ones.

7+ Year Old Account
    is there a way to get the old animations back?
    there isnt.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Vjnzen View Post
    Nope, I used the old Models because of that, only to have to use them now with Legion. The only difference between the old- and the new models is pretty much just how ugly your face looks. Everything else (running, spell/melee, even shoulder-armor positions) is 1:1 like the new ones.
    Exactly, I don't think their reason for killing the old model animations was good enough (not supporting new animations) as they could've just made those attacks be the animations that work on those models.

I feel like they did it because not enough people were using the new models, so they forced people to do it to make it seem like it was successful.
    But that's me being a cynical cunt. Still.

10+ Year Old Account
    On a whim I turned on the old models a few months ago. While there was a moment or 2 of 'oh look, its my gnome's original face!' nostalgia, I quickly came to miss the detail and expressiveness of the new models. Not all of the animations translated perfectly - but lets face facts, there was no way they all would. This stuff is too subjective and played by too many people for there to be any kind of a concise, singular opinion about it.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    every new piece of 3d armor would have been tuned to both old and current models and skeletons. pain in the ass. sometimes you have to support things a few years and let it die. which is a nice, cozy and soft migration.

my characters have a lot more personality now, even if i loved the nostalgia associated with their old looks.
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I feel like they did it because not enough people were using the new models, so they forced people to do it to make it seem like it was successful.
    You'd be wrong to think that. The newer models (more specifically, their skeletons/rigs) have bones for things that the older models just didn't have. To continue to support the old animations would have required 'holding back' on the new stuff they added, or updating those old rigs to support the newer features.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    You'd be wrong to think that. The newer models (more specifically, their skeletons/rigs) have bones for things that the older models just didn't have. To continue to support the old animations would have required 'holding back' on the new stuff they added, or updating those old rigs to support the newer features.
    Or simply making the old models use whatever animations they had in place. Instead they removed options.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    On a whim I turned on the old models a few months ago. While there was a moment or 2 of 'oh look, its my gnome's original face!' nostalgia, I quickly came to miss the detail and expressiveness of the new models. Not all of the animations translated perfectly - but lets face facts, there was no way they all would. This stuff is too subjective and played by too many people for there to be any kind of a concise, singular opinion about it.
    Except the whole point of the new models was to recreate them as well as possible. Some animations are very different, to the point where you can't think they're the same if you look at them for more than a second.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    every new piece of 3d armor would have been tuned to both old and current models and skeletons. pain in the ass. sometimes you have to support things a few years and let it die. which is a nice, cozy and soft migration.

my characters have a lot more personality now, even if i loved the nostalgia associated with their old looks.
    Nothing about nostalgia, many of the new animations are simply worse, which shouldn't be the case when they're made with 10+ years of improved technology.

Only way i know is some toys.

Noggenfogger - old undead, iron boot flask - old dwarf, Will of Northrend - old tauren but in taunka form. There must be more..

10+ Year Old Account
    Old ones are dead

RIP orc female 2hander animation... the best stuff ever
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

I miss the old models every single day as a female Night Elf. The Character I have had for 10 years just does not look the same. Granted, RPers might be more affected by this than others (positive and negative, depending on who you are).

I´m one of those who do not think the face that my old one got replaced with is anything even remotely similar to it. I have played with the old models for as long as it was possible, and when I logged in on the patch day, where they got removed, I even thought it was a bug.

I´ve commented in several threads on WoW forums, US and Europe (there are some different ongoing threads about it) and I´ve written two real letters to Blizzard´s Headquarters too (no response). Yes I´m that crazy (passionate! ), but at least I´ve done what I could to have an impact on it, in hopes to get my Character´s look restored.

But the more I play Legion, the more I realize it will only remain a dream. All the new animations and what not; I sincerely doubt Blizzard will put effort into "tuning" everything down to our old models.

As time passes by, I´m still not adapting well to the new models, in particular the running animation as well as the very different face. Sadly

But hey...Press on, heroes! Not much else we can do now, I´m afraid...