Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    They never took it down, The url for the link changed and people though they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep it being a hybrid it will get compared to both..

IMO (and others) as a handheld its fucken amazing, as a home console its lack luster. Nintendo keeps marketing it as a home console first and personally I think that hurts it quite a lot.
    a) I see, that makes more sense - sadly. //Edit: Well I guess the sentence still makes sense. Lol.
    b) I think calling it handheld makes a lot more sense. While it's a rather poorly designed handheld feature wise (battery life, screen durability, form factor is imho slightly too large,etc), it certainly fits the performance. Calling a tablet PC a desktop PC just because you put it in a docking station and hook up a monitor is usually wrong as well and does not make it a valid desktop PC replacement either. They can advertise it as such, but that is certainly not what the hardware is made for and frankly it might have been better if they actually commited to that - but sadly they were scared to kill off their well selling handheld too early.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-03-12 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    They can advertise it as such, but that is certainly not what the hardware is made for and frankly it might have been better if they actually commited to that - but sadly they were scared to kill off their well selling handheld too early.
    They should have marketed it as there "Nintendo Platform" as a full replacement to both. Not this its a console "But really its replacing our 3DS in 2 years" crap.

Personally, it say's a lot that Nintendo doesn't want to go all in on The Switch. Maybe they are scared because of what happen to the Wii-U.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-03-12 at 09:01 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

They should have marketed it as there "Nintendo Platform" as a full replacement to both. Not this its a console "But really its replacing our 3DS in 2 years" crap.

Personally, it say's a lot that Nintendo doesn't want to go all in on The Switch. Maybe they are scared because of what happen to the Wii-U.
    Read a interesting article today about the Gameboy micro today, a device that came out after the DS. They did the same thing with the Wii mini, the stupid thing got a introduced after the Wii U I think. Nintendo has a bad habit of trying to sell a product when they already introduced a new product that overlaps.

The 3DS is popular so it may not have the same faith as the Gameboy but the Switch overlaps in terms of function and the only thing it misses are true handheld games. If you could play the next pokemon on the Switch I'm pretty sure the DS line would be dead.

Not that it would be such a bad thing, with mobile gaming getting so much attention I can imagine that Nintendo needs to pre-empt the market by introducing a device that can do both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Oh I know, I work in IT and see it quite often but with the amount of issues the Switch is having along with how rushed this system feels it doesn't surprise me. There's times where we buy in new equipment from vendors and shit breaks within a month, they'll tell us not to worry it's not a big deal, well tell that to the client and the lost hours of labor. A lot of companies pull this shit just to get their numbers up rather than testing their product.
    If you look at the tear down actually, the RAM chip is actually on a modular board and not soldered on. However the issue is it's connection is rather loose from the looks and I imagine a lot of failures / bugs come from the loose contact or lack there of seeing as a lot of the screen freaking the fuck out is either the SoC or RAM problem. Imo a bad idea doing that instead of just soldering the damn thing on.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    If you look at the tear down actually, the RAM chip is actually on a modular board and not soldered on. However the issue is it's connection is rather loose from the looks and I imagine a lot of failures / bugs come from the loose contact or lack there of seeing as a lot of the screen freaking the fuck out is either the SoC or RAM problem. Imo a bad idea doing that instead of just soldering the damn thing on.
    I didn't notice that, yeah that will definitely end up being an issue for them. I pulled up the ifixit video on it and this is pretty simple to take apart luckily. I'm wondering if I should try to replace my buddies HDMI port, I have some at work and it looks like a quick swap.

I just want you to know, I get my switch tomorrow and its shit like this that scares me lol.

If I have to send it in to be fixed I will rage.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

https://www.beyondpixels.at/wp-conte...rd-750x440.jpg
    Hmm? What teardown did you see? To me they look pretty much soldered on, they just canned it for thermal/EMC reasons by the looks of it.
    Seeing how they cut corners with cent value parts in their BOM I think a socketed RAM doesn't really fit their overall design either.

Edit: The one on the breakout board should be the build in non volatile memory (edit: apparently some people found out it is a FLASH chip) and judging from the bugs I've seen videos off it doesn't look like stuff not loading or loading incomplete, it looks like data not getting processed properly. Well it might be part of the display driver as well.. hard to tell. I didn't find proper screenshots on the quick. What ever it is, I don't like them putting it on top of what looks to be their wireless module, can or no can, that reeks a bit.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-03-12 at 10:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    https://www.beyondpixels.at/wp-conte...rd-750x440.jpg
    Hmm? What teardown did you see? To me they look pretty much soldered on, they just canned it for thermal/EMC reasons by the looks of it.
    Seeing how they cut corners with cent value parts in their BOM I think a socketed RAM doesn't really fit their overall design either.

Edit: The one on the breakout board should be the build in non volatile memory (edit: apparently some people found out it is a FLASH chip) and judging from the bugs I've seen videos off it doesn't look like stuff not loading or loading incomplete, it looks like data not getting processed properly. Well it might be part of the display driver as well.. hard to tell. I didn't find proper screenshots on the quick. What ever it is, I don't like them putting it on top of what looks to be their wireless module, can or no can, that reeks a bit.
    Okay yeah, just looked at it again, it's not the RAM, derp. Brain work = not. It's indeed the eMMC NAND, which should still be soldered on imo.

Also yeah, the graphical glitches look typical to SoC or RAM issues, potentially software problems as you mentioned.

Assuming they went with 75% of max clock for higher yields, I guess they binned too deep if they're having this many SoC issues.

Digital Foundry analysis on Fast Racing RMX: "Perhaps the most beautiful portable game ever."

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks gorgeous in motion, but stop and look up close, and its closer to a 7th gen console than 8th. Mainly because of the 60 fps, but if they had pushed it to 30 fps it would be very pretty. Rather have 60 fps obviously though.

- - - Updated - - -

So it seems like Switch struggles with big open worlds, but does well with mote enclosed tight spaced games. Thinking its a cpu bottleneck?

Wouldn't that be more an issue with texture memory then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post

"I love the Power Arm. It's so bad." ^^
    LMFAO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Uh, this just got weird.
    Its never too weird for me! I love it when people do stupid shit like that!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Looks gorgeous in motion, but stop and look up close, and its closer to a 7th gen console than 8th. Mainly because of the 60 fps, but if they had pushed it to 30 fps it would be very pretty. Rather have 60 fps obviously though.
    It's an indy game that was made for the Wii U.

No shit it looks closer to a 7th gen game. Even that is generous considering games like God of War 3 and Beyond Two Souls existed in Gen 7. But like I said, indy game is indy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's an indy game that was made for the Wii U.

No shit it looks closer to a 7th gen game. Even that is generous considering games like God of War 3 and Beyond Two Souls existed in Gen 7. But like I said, indy game is indy.
    I dont know why you are always so hostile. I didnt even post anything controversial or wrong really. You are being very short.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I dont know why you are always so hostile. I didnt even post anything controversial or wrong really. You are being very short.
    I think half the time he's not trying to be hostile, I've had many many a run in with Tech, I just think he has serious inability to put his point across in a way that doesn't LOOK hostile in text form, when he's actually not being hostile. Ofc quite often he is just being hostile :P

Somebody told me that the switch had a 40% defective/failure rate

Any source on this??
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Somebody told me that the switch had a 40% defective/failure rate

Any source on this??
    I haven't heard such things. There has been issues but the only official thing to come out is a statement from Nintendo saying there is no wide spread issues.

I haven't heard such things. There has been issues but the only official thing to come out is a statement from Nintendo saying there is no wide spread issues.
    As I thought.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/0...ntendo-switch/

MK8 Deluxe will 1080p 60 fps for 1 to 2 players, 1080p 30 fps 3 to 4 on a single screen when docked.