Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I wonder if this is a Brexit effect. As long as they don't raise the gold prize it doesn't affect me that much, I've never bought packs with real money unless i got presented with gift cards. I did buy some adventure wings with real money but now they don't release them anymore, and I rarely do arena which I also buy with gold. This kind of scumbag move is probably going to turn people to other good card games like Eternal, Gwent, Elder Scrolls. All from who I've heard that they are a lot more generous to new players. If Blizzard doesn't adept then they're going to lose players.
    Quite a lot of the current economic woes can, and indeed have, been blamed on Brexit at some point or another. At present the uncertainty of it is more damaging than the reality, but I think that's really a discussion for another time .

The question I don't see anyone else asking though is "What happens if the £ and the € recover?". If 6-12 months down the line they're both much stronger than USD, would Blizzard re-asses their prices then too? I'd hazzard a guess at no, but they could yet surprise me. I do feel confident in saying that if they both continue to be devalued then Blizzard would have no issues in raising their prices again to match.

Blizzard is a business. They have the right to charge whatever they want for their products. Don't like the price, don't pay for it. Economics 101.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    Blizzard is a business. They have the right to charge whatever they want for their products. Economics 101.
    Not really. People have already invested money in this game based on reasonable expectations for the future.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Not really. People have already invested money in this game based on reasonable expectations for the future.
    Yes they really DO have the right to charge whatever they want for their products. There is no "they owe it to us because [insert reason here]."

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Quite a lot of the current economic woes can, and indeed have, been blamed on Brexit at some point or another. At present the uncertainty of it is more damaging than the reality, but I think that's really a discussion for another time .

The question I don't see anyone else asking though is "What happens if the £ and the € recover?". If 6-12 months down the line they're both much stronger than USD, would Blizzard re-asses their prices then too? I'd hazzard a guess at no, but they could yet surprise me. I do feel confident in saying that if they both continue to be devalued then Blizzard would have no issues in raising their prices again to match.
    A few of the prices in other countries were actually lowered, something people who go all "Zomg, Blizzard is so greedy!" fail to address in their crusade. So I wouldn't call it improbable that the price is lowered IF European currency recovers at some point in the near future.

When you buy a pack, you're buying a pack. You're not entering into any sort of agreement that states you'll get the same product for the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    Yes they really DO have the right to charge whatever they want for their products. There is no "they owe it to us because [insert reason here]."
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    When you buy a pack, you're buying a pack. You're not entering into any sort of agreement that states you'll get the same product for the same price.
    Mmmmmm. The more I think about it, the more you guys are right. Especially the way FobMan put it. I was thinking of some extreme stuff Blizzard could do, but even then it's questionable if it'd be illegal for them to do it.

Like, a few weird scenarios Blizzard can't do because of "reasonable expectations having already invested":

A. Blizzard makes all cards free.

Would probably piss off people who paid for packs. Could Blizzard do it and not get sued? Maybe.

B. Blizzard shuts the servers down. No more virtual cards.

Idk, I feel like if some random app on the app store did it people would cut their losses, but with Blizzard? Could probably sue for the money back you spent on packs?

Deleted
    People who was buying packs for money regularly will:
    A) Spend more money to get the same packs which is ok for Blizzard but will make some of the buyers angry with the game which might lead to start playing less.
    B) Spend the same money getting less cards which will make players less competitive which means they will play less while Blizzard will not get any earning.
    C) Spend less money mainly because they feel ripped, making Blizzard earn less money and making players less competitive which leads them to play less.

I supose they do their calculations but I thing the final result in the long run will be less income for them unless they put the firts extra money to good use making the game more interesting. Also less cards in the market means less players playing seriously, which might mean less players in high ranks, less renoun for the game, less new good streamers, less people watching tournaments...

It is not positive for the game or the players. For their cofers... it might be.

10+ Year Old Account
    A. Blizzard makes all cards free.
    Not sure about suddenly making all cards free.

B. Blizzard shuts the servers down. No more virtual cards.
    If I read the EULA correctly Blizzard can terminate the service after giving 3 months notice. Section 9.A.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2017-03-13 at 12:48 AM.

The EU and GBP are down, so it probably is market conditions. You're asking them to maintain the price and absorb the losses in currency exchange rate.

But of course this kind of adjustment is always unpopular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Faeria seems more and more interesting, it's free as well and if you don't want to bother with shitty boosters you can just pay like 50 bucks once to simply unlock the entire card library.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I wonder if this is a Brexit effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Good thing I mostly switched over to shadowverse, spent less than a quarter of what I originally spent on hearthstone and already got almost all the cards for most decktypes within just a couple of months. I still do play hearthstone occasionally just to do the dailies, but definitely don't intend to spend any more money on it.

You'd think blizzard would try and go the opposite way and try and do what other companies do and improve the new player experience, not worsen it. In shadowverse at this point you get something like 60+ packs, 10 or so arena tickets and a fair bit of vials(dust) for doing all the new player content and there are often events that give extra packs. At the moment you get 8 free packs for logging in as a way to celebrate them hitting 8 million downloads, and that's on top of the usual login rewards which vary from 20-40 gold to a pack or arena ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    They could counter much of the anger from people about this by simply making sure that you always get at least 1 card you do not already have, would make them look a lot less greedy .... or up the amount of dust you get from nuking cards.
    Or by waiting to do this incredibly scummy move until like a month or two AFTER Un'goro's release, not BEFORE. Doing it before is incredibly greedy and fucked up, especially when Hearthstone is in such a low right now (after Kara and MSoG). Doing it after a potentially huge change in the game (and well after most people have purchased packs), and it wouldn't have been a PR disaster. Like, I'm glad it didn't affect me (US player), but I'm still miffed they did this.

Well, at least Sweden got a price DROP. Grats on you, Sweden!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    But of course this kind of adjustment is always unpopular.
    Because it's being done at the worst possible time: Before a new expansion release (AND a new Standard year, adding to the scumminess).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleckens View Post
    You'd think blizzard would try and go the opposite way and try and do what other companies do and improve the new player experience, not worsen it.
    Just goes to show that Blizzard doesn't have to do what everybody else does, and I wouldn't delude myself into thinking that they are doing it for your benefit. It's a strategy, like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Because it's being done at the worst possible time: Before a new expansion release (AND a new Standard year, adding to the scumminess).
    I'm willing to bet Blizzard could have done this exact same thing at any time of year and there'd still be people calling them scum for it. Is the timing accidental, of course not, but why should it be? That is how business works and despite what you might be telling yourself; given the chance you would be doing the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    So your comparative price is lower than other countries and you're angry about it getting properly adjusted? I don't feel bad man.
    If only they didn't just flat out use dollar=euro on game prices causing EU citizens to already pay more (up to 20%, depending on daily exchange rate) for all the other games Blizzard sells, you'ld have a point.

Deleted
    So your comparative price is lower than other countries and you're angry about it getting properly adjusted? I don't feel bad man.
    Why don't they ever reduce prices to adjust for the market?

Stop defending the greed from multi-billion dollar companies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Meh, game went downhill a long time ago. This is just it continuing to roll.
    I agree. But atleast we got a BBrode rap, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBrando View Post
    Why don't they ever reduce prices to adjust for the market?

Stop defending the greed from multi-billion dollar companies.
    Except that they did reduce the price for some countries.

Or, you know, you can keep calling me a 'defender of multi-billion dollar greed'. Checking out the whole post helps.

Deleted
    Except that they did reduce the price for some countries.

Or, you know, you can keep calling me a 'defender of multi-billion dollar greed'. Checking out the whole post helps.
    Which countries and when?

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBrando View Post
    Which countries and when?
    Sweden for one, with the change that is going to be implemented with the increase for EU and other players.