Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This article is nothing but racism. First sentence of wikipedia about racism:

The ideology underlying racist practices often includes the idea that humans can be subdivided into distinct groups that are different in their social behavior and innate capacities and that can be ranked as inferior or superior.

I came into this thread thinking "well fuck that," and after reading the article, this doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Nice, just lower the bar even further.
    As per the article, people on both sides of the isle thought it was redundant and/or confusing, what with multiple correct answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangusei View Post
    Libtards minds are beautiful aren't they?
    Yeah, look at this libtard:
    Charles Sahm, the director of education policy at the Manhattan Institute, a conservative think tank, is a strong supporter of raising the bar for teachers but not a fan of this particular literacy test.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    disproportionate test results among races..................

How amazing, math and world problems can now even be racist. I guess you can call a curb racist too if you happen to trip on it
    The whole article was about literacy exams; not a word about math.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    This article is nothing but racism. First sentence of wikipedia about racism:

The ideology underlying racist practices often includes the idea that humans can be subdivided into distinct groups that are different in their social behavior and innate capacities and that can be ranked as inferior or superior.
    'This group scores lower on tests' is not a statement that they're inherently inferior unless you implicitly assume that the difference in test scores is due solely to innate characteristics. Which means that in order to characterize this as racism, you had to make that implicit assumption. And that means...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    'This group scores lower on tests' is not a statement that they're inherently inferior unless you implicitly assume that the difference in test scores is due solely to innate characteristics. Which means that in order to characterize this as racism, you had to make that implicit assumption. And that means...

What kind of group are you talking about? Are you trying to divide humans in distinct groups based on their social behavior and innate capacities? Oh that's racism btw.

What kind of group are you talking about? Are you trying to divide humans in distinct groups based on their social behavior and innate capacities? Oh that's racism btw.
    The whole point is that the division by race in these statistics has nothing to do with social behavior or innate capacities. If you can't understand that then it sort of provides an in-thread example of the state of American literacy.

Pro-tip: Misapplying terms is not being clever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

7+ Year Old Account
    If the kids are strong enough to carry around books they can carry other things: like bricks, lumber, etc. If they can be carrying bricks they could be doing something useful, like helping build the wall on the border with Mexico. School is a waste of time. Education is over rated. Put those kids to work. MAGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    The whole point is that the division by race in these statistics has nothing to do with social behavior or innate capacities. If you can't understand that then it sort of provides an in-thread example of the state of American literacy.

Pro-tip: Misapplying terms is not being clever.
    That you still talk about races of humans. There is only one race: humans. If you say otherwise that's nothing but racism. If you say it like in this article all/most "black skinned people" do this or that: that's racism. This whole article holds no value.

I guess the writers of the article don't understand control variables, or spurious relationships.

"Plus, she said, she was thrown off by the fact that the test was given online, rather than on paper."

Because it's not like teachers nowadays need to understand what these new fangled computer boxes are to do their job. Or be able to read.

If the criticism is that it's confusingly worded, then they make better tests.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-03-13 at 04:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    I'd be more outraged at this test if white chick teachers weren't putting a disproportionate amount of black kids on adderral/special ed.

They may pass the test, but they're not doing their job as a whole, and have been failing entire segments of their classrooms.
    teachers can't write prescriptions....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Because everyone can afford private school /sarcasm
    this is u.s. land of the rich enslaver of the poor.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    i remember that worthless fucking test. They they came out with some senior project thing that we had to do, i remember bullshiting through it the night before and feeding the teachers nothing but wikipedia shit and getting an A.
    Who's they they?

*I'm not sure why people pretend that every dope with a general education-esque degree deserves to be a teacher. The world needs ditch diggers too.
    Last edited by shrunken; 2017-03-13 at 04:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

I'd be more outraged at this test if white chick teachers weren't putting a disproportionate amount of black kids on adderral/special ed.

They may pass the test, but they're not doing their job as a whole, and have been failing entire segments of their classrooms.
    Parents are failing those kids, not teachers. All a teacher can do is show them how to do things, it's up to parents to actually make them do the coursework.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Parents are failing those kids, not teachers. All a teacher can do is show them how to do things, it's up to parents to actually make them do the coursework.
    Correction, it's up to the kids to desire to do the coursework. Adults can force them all they want, but most kids are not going to retain it (for long) if they don't want to.

Looking back at the last ~25 years in education, you could almost go so far as to just say a disproportionate amount of boys* in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Sahm took the $20 practice exam and thought it was a poorly designed test with multiple-choice questions that seemed to have more than one correct answer.

"I do agree that it's not a great test," Sahm said. "I found the reading comprehension section to be kind of infuriating. I only got 21 out of 40 right."
    multiple-choice questions that seemed to have more than one correct answer
    only got 21 out of 40 right
    Looks like the test is doing its job of weeding people out. Being able to seek out resolve in a speech is completely fair and, had we kept the much-needed civics instead of implementing social studies, shows a teacher's ability to think critically about the philosophy behind the written word without having to rely on the spoken tone. Now, do I believe it should be applied to teachers in all areas? Absolutely not. Most math classes require the teacher to be able to put the curriculum into practice while making sure every student understands how to practice themselves. The ability to read beyond the source material would certainly help, but it's not needed when the teacher in question can provide results regardless of their aptitude in literacy.

Fish climbing trees, etc. The test is needed for possibly most teachers, but not all.

That you still talk about races of humans. There is only one race: humans. If you say otherwise that's nothing but racism. If you say it like in this article all/most "black skinned people" do this or that: that's racism. This whole article holds no value.
    I'm guessing you oppose affirmative action laws because they classify humans into groups based off of skin color right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Because everyone can afford private school /sarcasm
    They would through vouchers which is the most commonly proposed alternative​ to government schooling.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    The teachers can't put some kid on adderral.
    Teachers are in close contact with children engaging in social behaviors that parents won't normally see, so they can give recommendations for parents to see a psych for their kid. Lots of parents follow this advice, often to the detriment of the kid. They often get put on meds when the kid merely acts out for attention or is socially awkward. Meds that, might I add, we're finding have serious negative side effects later in life. We're only just now seeing some of the long term effects from kids who were put on ADD meds during the 80's and 90's when ADD was some kind of faux epidemic.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    It was a shitty test. Enough said.

I don't expect people to actually read the article or understand what poorly written and/or biased tests mean. How long until this gets closed?
    How can basic reading and writing comprehension be racist? It can't, but I'm guessing your answer will be entertaining. About 64% of whites passed the test while about 46% of blacks and hispanics passed the test. A test that's at a 12th grade level. No one complained about the 36% of white people who were denied a job because they couldn't pass it. No one that it was racist against those white people.

That's because it's not racist against anyone. It's a basic test designed to ensure teachers are actually qualified to be teachers in the first place. By getting rid of the test they are literally dumbing down the system, ensuring future generations will also lack basic reading and writing skills by allowing them to be taught by people who lack those skills. The person who complained about the test being online is also just making excuses for their own incompetence. Students, and therefore the people teaching them, need to be prepared to perform more and more of their work on computers. This is the 21st century, not the 19th century. That same person also complained that the English portion of the test was more like taking the SAT, not 12th grade High School level, when in fact those are the exact same thing. A 12th grader is expected to be able to take and pass the SAT.

That would actually be a very good test to for teachers nationwide, make them take the SAT every few years, and require them to score in the 75th percentile or higher. If they can't achieve and maintain that score, they can't be a teacher. That's only asking them to be smarter than 75% of the students they are expected to teach. Anyone who says that's racist is insane.

I got my certification before the ALST was implemented as a prerequisite, but if its anything like the ATS-W or the EAS - the exams I had to take and all NY state certification applicants still do - it could be best described as a superfluous fee added onto the process. A lot of this crap is just a way to funnel money into the testing and test prep companies like Pearson, who collect the test fees directly, and its entirely unsurprising that corporate "Ed Reform" mercenaries like NCTQ and Education Trust either love it or are offering a "let's just reform our little gravy train, not get rid of it" arguments to paper over its failings.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2017-03-13 at 05:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    disproportionate test results among races..................

How amazing, math and world problems can now even be racist. I guess you can call a curb racist too if you happen to trip on it
    Clearly all the scenario questions only involved descriptions of white males and some of the participants were so appalled by the lack of diversity that they refused to answer any of those questions which took up over half of the test leading to their fails. #NoMoreRacistTests /sarcasm

Considering at least 40% of each minority group was passing it their first try doesn't that show that the test isn't actually weeding out minorities? If anything it shows that the test is super hard and might need some re-balancing is all.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity