Deleted

Tormented Souls will reset to zero

On every encounter. The justifications for these are as follows:

"Reason: Souls are a resource, and we have a rules about resetting your resources/stacks of a buff before an encounter, so that every attempt is standardized. Having souls the first time you fight a raid boss feels good, but it makes every other attempt after that feel worse by comparison."

Essentially this boils down to - we want every pull to feel equally shit for affliction warlocks.

Affliction feels awful starting with zero souls on a pull. Particularly a heroism on pull. We've already got the damn ramp of Agony, and affliction is of necessity grossly underpowered without Reap active because otherwise we'd be overpowered with it. We are pretty much totally reliant on a maintenance buff to perform adequately, and that buff is unreliable. They are taking away any possibility of having that buff at the start of a fight, which is often the phase where you get free damage and also where you go all-out with heroism and pots. Yet it is also the phase where affliction performs the worst, by the time we reach fullpotential the heroism and pots are expired, which is why you get burst classes with cooldowns pulling millions of dps whilst we are like the fat kid at school who constantly has to yell "hey wait for me to catch up". Whether or not you get a soul to power up Reap is random in that first phase. Otherwise we are just held hostage to whethe ror not an encounter will have killable adds and also whether the devs decided to allow those adds to give us shards and souls and wrath.

It is ironic that they decided that a ramp class was made much worse by starting out with virtually no resources and hence gave us three shards instead of one, and now they have decided to go against that by zeroing the tormented souls.

It will be absolutely horrible in dungeons, how many dungeon bosses live long enough for affliction to ramp up and for tormented souls toproc to get us reap? Wait for Agony to ramp and tormented souls to proc to use reap and...oh, it;s already dead cos everyone else just blew their cooldowns and did 3M+ dps. The only thing that really lets an afflock do wel in a dungeon, except high + levels, is being able to run through and reach bosses with a stack of souls so we can immediately do Unstable Affliction+MG+Reap. Effectively starting on empty will make affliction feel grossly underpowered on short duration fights and that is how normal, heroic and standard to low + dungeons are.

In any sane world we'd have an execute phase to compensate for poor pull performance, but we don;t. But Shadow Priests do even though they have less ramp.

In a PUG affliction can be horrible on wipes. They just look at the first thirty seconds of dps and affliction is dead last. They aren't interested when you say "yeah but I catch up later on"

This is a stupid change. On top of those godawful tier bonuses.

Only possible reaosn it could make sense is that the proc from the new trait which causes Drain Soul to generate tormented souls is reliable enough to immediately give us souls to power reap....

Imagine if hunters were told "yeah you will start every fight with zero ammo, but don;t worry, you can kill adds and steal ammo of them. If there are no adds ammo will randomly appear in your bags, and when we say random, we really mean random"

(assuming hunters still use ammo of course)

Or warriors

"You abilities will sometimes generate rage or not"
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2017-03-13 at 11:12 AM.

Deleted
    resources don't reset on dungeon bosses

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Imagine if they told this to arcane mages:

Mana will reset to zero on every encounter. The justifications for this are as follows:

Reason: Mana is a resource, and we have rules about resetting your resources/stacks of a buff before an encounter, so that every attempt is standardized. Having mana the first time you fight a raid boss feels good, but it makes every other attempt after that feel worse by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Imagine if they told this to arcane mages:

Mana will reset to zero on every encounter. The justifications for this are as follows:

Reason: Mana is a resource, and we have rules about resetting your resources/stacks of a buff before an encounter, so that every attempt is standardized. Having mana the first time you fight a raid boss feels good, but it makes every other attempt after that feel worse by comparison.
    Mana is their primary resource, Arcane Charges their secondary. Soul Shards are locks' primary resource(mana to some extent), Tormented Souls are Aff's secondary resource. Notice the difference?
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

7+ Year Old Account
    Sorry too tired, confused you with another person.
    but yeah somone else allready made a thread just recently exacxtly abut this
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Mana is their primary resource, Arcane Charges their secondary. Soul Shards are locks' primary resource(mana to some extent), Tormented Souls are Aff's secondary resource. Notice the difference?
    tormented souls are afflictions "third" Rescource though as they again as you said have mana as our secondary and soul shards as our main
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-03-13 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    Make it a default of 3x souls (15s) on reset.

Gives us a little bit of uptime during hero and still adds enough rng. So rarely you see 2 souls during "opener".

Hopefully they buff other spells after this. It's really going to hurt on hero pulls.

This is about what I expected. Instead of always having a pull feel decent, Blizzard would rather make sure it always feels like shite.

Should start with 2 or 3 for lust on the pull at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    I think this is a good idea. It feels really freaking bad just sitting there casting sad 5 shard UAs with no reap.

Quote Originally Posted by Toastiekins View Post
    I think this is a good idea. It feels really freaking bad just sitting there casting sad 5 shard UAs with no reap.
    It's a bandaid for an overarching problem that doesn't make sense however. We have soul shards but soul shards have nothing to do with tormented souls. How is there NO relationship between the two? Balance the numbers so we can generate soul shards at a rate that makes sense that we can infuse the souls collected from soul shards into our weapon. That makes sense. That's lore friendly. Change the way that reap souls works so that it instantly takes a soul shard to give us the buff off the gcd. Why? Because we already have a downtime period with mana and lifetap management to add more downtime to that is ridiculous.

We're super fucked anyway. DoT gameplay has been a favourite of mine for a long time but this is absolutely ridiculous. Why not just take the goddamn buff away and give us a proc or something. The proc rate is absurd to gain a charge of tormented souls I'll go through 4 drain cycle rotations and have 1, and other times i'll have 2 cycles where I've gained 4. It's totally at odds with how the spec's rotation plays out which is supposed to be calculated and thought out in advanced while doing mechanics. Maintaining an agony on an effigy and the boss and tossing out any other necessary damage to additions is constant game of management on top of maximising drain windows.

They literally have an ogre mage with two heads designing this shit and if this change goes through with no changes to compensate I'm done.

Let's hope they realise what this does to us and will make the appropriate buffs necessary to balance this out. It's not like we're even top tier dps because lord knows this expansion is the season of the melee gods.
    Last edited by ehxy; 2017-03-14 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    I would be all for this. Nothing makes me want to afk a boss fight like not getting any souls for the 1st two drain cycles lol

I don't mind the souls resetting. What I mind is the dumbs**t reason they gave. "It feels bad when you pull without souls...so we're going to make sure you never have souls on a boss pull". FU Blizz.